Difficult questions to reply as vegans - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 10-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacefully_Anna View Post

what should I say when someone says "if we didn't eat animals they'd over populate the world"? Maybe something like well if we didn't eat meat or ate less meat there would not be people raising all theses animals to be slaughtered. But what about hunting and such?

the real money in animal agriculture (you probably know about this where you live) is in breeding. So if we didn't have animal agriculture, we wouldn't have to breed so many millions of animals, meaning none of those animals would be born.

Hunting is never very good as population control. Wildlife managers have been trying to study it for decades, but they still don't really know how hunting will affect any one population. We do know at this point that many times, hunting makes overpopulation worse.

The way that wildlife is managed these days, they are actually TOLD to make sure there is a lot of wildlife SO THAT hunters will be happy. It's part of the actual purpose for wildlife agencies, because hunters pay into the system.

as for the "already dead" animals - yes that's OK by me, but at this point I couldn't do it. and thinking that way opens the door to too many iffy scenarios. what if it's almost dead & you just help it along...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 10-21-2007, 10:37 PM

A girl I work with was like 'oh like you think you really make a difference, your one person.' I told her. 'Im not the one eating baby cows'. I don't expect anyone to understand. And all I care about is my mom said that she doesn't understand but she would keep an open mind, and my dad said that he's proud of me for sticking with something I believe in. Those statements comeing from the two biggest meat and gravy kind of people. Even if they are small steps, steps are steps.
#63 Old 10-22-2007, 12:39 AM

Last night at a party this guy said that he had a girlfriend once who was a vegetarian, and it was so annoying cause they could never go out to eat. I said, well I cook so that's not a problem. And annoying for who, i wanted to add

I love how people believe that I am going to get sick, while they're suffering through colds and whatnot through the whole winter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1scu1ts View Post

And all I care about is my mom said that she doesn't understand but she would keep an open mind, and my dad said that he's proud of me for sticking with something I believe in. Those statements comeing from the two biggest meat and gravy kind of people. Even if they are small steps, steps are steps.

Those are not small steps; they are HUGE! I'm very impressed by your parents for being so open-minded and supportive! And it's really great that you are showing them that it's possible to live happily & healthily while not exploiting animals!

and Terrapin Turtle those people obviously know very little about health & nutrition. maybe someday they'll think, "hmm that Terrapin Turtle guy is pretty healthy, maybe vegans aren't all sickly fools." it might take them awhile, what with their brains being all mucked up from the excess cholesterol.
#65 Old 10-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

it's great when parent's our supportive

and sad when they are not

My good friend kayla has been vegetarian for about 2 weeks now and I am so proud of her!

(She's doing it for the well being of animals not so much health) But her mom! Grrr...

She says that kayla can be a vegetarian some of the time but she still needs to eat chicken, fish, ect. She says she needs protein and of course I agree but it just makes me angry to see that her mom would be so quick to change her back instead of help her continue being veg and still remain healthy. Doesn't she understand that there can be unhealthy eaters that do eat meat- same as unhealthy vegetarians. She did not care what Kayla ate before she stopped eating meat- This is a long rant! I'm really sorry to blab but I just need a advice on how to convince Kayla's mom
#66 Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by turistattraksjo View Post

"What do you eat? What's in that?"

Well darling, I could ask you the same quiestion and I would probably answer it better than you.

Too true.
#67 Old 10-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Beginner

Since we're in the minority, everyone new we meet has a habit of trying to challenge us...

Because it's their chance, finally! "I've never met a vegan before! Now is my chance to stereotypically argue and prove them wrong!"

It's funny because it's their first time at bat, and we're like experienced pitchers.

Same stuff every time.

Oddly enough, as a vegan I've found that the stereotypes for vegans are completely manufactured by omnivores. I don't storm into every McDonalds I see to try to educate people. In fact, I never say anything unless I'm asked a specific question.
#68 Old 10-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

at lunch the other day this girl was saying, "Oh LeighAnna you really need dairy" Bla bla bla...

And I tried explaining that it's not the dairy itself you need its the nutrients, calcium, ect that you need and that you can get it from other sources instead of dairy. She started being really ignorant and said that I really needed red meat too :-0

Then she started saying how milking cows doesn't hurt them

but anyway some people starting saying that if they didn't milk the cows they'd die

What's the deal with that?
#69 Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by illyrianmoon View Post

Too true.

I agree
#70 Old 10-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Then she started saying how milking cows doesn't hurt them but anyway some people starting saying that if they didn't milk the cows they'd die

Are you actually asking about what's involved with milking cows, or are you just commenting on people's claims? I recall you're in cow country, right?
#71 Old 10-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

i choose to be vegan for two reasons: animal rights and my health. typically people will say something like "oh, its ok if you just eat a little bit of this," and im sitting there thinking "i dont want to eat that." they dont seem to understand that its not just about my health- there's a reason im a peta member. living in the south makes this all a lot harder, but im lucky because we do have one health food store in the area.
#72 Old 10-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:

at lunch the other day this girl was saying, "Oh LeighAnna you really need dairy" Bla bla bla...

And I tried explaining that it's not the dairy itself you need its the nutrients, calcium, ect that you need and that you can get it from other sources instead of dairy. She started being really ignorant and said that I really needed red meat too :-0

Then she started saying how milking cows doesn't hurt them

but anyway some people starting saying that if they didn't milk the cows they'd die

I live in cow country and get this a lot. I have also spent time working on a dairy farm. Unfortunately, the cows are made to be milked excessively through repeated impregnation. Naturally, they would not produce as milk as much as they are made to. With any natural cycle of pregnancy, they would produce milk for their calves to consume. Instead, with dairy farm operations, the calves are separated from the mothers and the milk produced is what we consume. They have cycles where they are put to pasture for grazing (off-time) but quickly return to the milking parlor. The calves are either sold off for veal or begin the life of a typical dairy cow. Smaller farms don't typically treat the cows as much as machines as the larger farms do. Most small farms milk 2x per day, while commercial farms milk 3-4x per day. There can be a decent amount of irritation on the teat/udder from the milking apparatus. Prior to each milking, the teat is washed by hand (rag soaked in "udderwash," a solution made with iodine and used as a disinfectant) or is dipped in solution (there is a special apparatus that does this). Many times, a balm is placed over the teat post-milk to avoid irritation. Ever seen those green tins of bag balm? Sort of a petroleum mixture that's placed on the udder as a protective balm.
#73 Old 10-31-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:

what should I say when someone says "if we didn't eat animals they'd over populate the world"?

You could always bring up the whole human overpopulation thing. And Jonathan Swift.
#74 Old 10-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Jonathan Swift?
#75 Old 10-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

Even more annoying than the questions to me are the people that try to "catch you" or "prove you wrong". Looking at what you're eating and saying "I thought you couldn't eat that" or "doesn't that have _________ in it?".

I HATE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT!! This is specific to food, but I was using some nail polish remover and my pseudo work friend yells "Do you know how many animals were killed to test that stuff on?!"

I told him I don't buy products that are tested on animals and he was basically owned. But still...
#76 Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I always thought that "A Modest Proposal" was in poor taste.

pun intended
#77 Old 11-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrd232 View Post

Instead, with dairy farm operations, the calves are separated from the mothers and the milk produced is what we consume. They have cycles where they are put to pasture for grazing (off-time) but quickly return to the milking parlor. The calves are either sold off for veal or begin the life of a typical dairy cow. Smaller farms don't typically treat the cows as much as machines as the larger farms do. Most small farms milk 2x per day, while commercial farms milk 3-4x per day.

Can I just check my facts against your experience? I'm under the impression that most dairies separate the calves & moms within 12hrs. Some seem to let them nurse for the colostrum, while others (maybe bigger operations?) just milk the colostrum from all the cows artificially, then feed it to the calves artificially. What usually happens in your experience?

And let's get this veal thing straight. Is this still where most male dairy cows go? When I ask a dairy farmer they always say "beef," as if they just become regular beef cows. Do they actually become veal, and since veal is a type of beef, they can just say "beef"?

And do most female calves become replacement dairy cows? In the same herd? What happens to the others? Does it depend on whether the mother produced a lot of milk, and whose semen was used to impregnate her? Like maybe if they didn't buy top-quality semen they might not bother to keep her?

Thanks in advance!
#78 Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Jonathan Swift?

He wrote a satire called "A Modest Proposal" arguing that to solve the problem of poverty and overpopulation in Ireland at the time, the British should eat Irish babies. Definately worth reading, especially if you're a fan of Steven Colbert and the like.

But anyway, if people are whining about the overpopulation (!) of animals, ask them what they think of overpopulation in the third world. Would they be ok with eating them? And, uh, mention that there wouldn't be an overpopulation of livestock if there wasn't a DEMAND caused by people eating so much meat in the first place.
#79 Old 11-03-2007, 06:21 AM

When I get "The protein question", I say:

"Have you ever heard of anyone that has had kwashiorkor?"

They most likely say 'no' or 'what is Kwashiokor?'

Then I repeat:

"Have you ever heard of anyone that has had kwashiorkor?"

The answer is 'no' again.

I say:

"Kwashiokor is the medical term for protein deficiency. I find it quite challenging to keep my protein under the recommend limit. How do you do it?"

They'll likely not even know the recommended amount and feel quite underknowledged at this point. Then I walk way because I don't wanna seem like a preacher.
#80 Old 11-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

it's great when parent's our supportive

and sad when they are not

My good friend kayla has been vegetarian for about 2 weeks now and I am so proud of her!

(She's doing it for the well being of animals not so much health) But her mom! Grrr...

She says that kayla can be a vegetarian some of the time but she still needs to eat chicken, fish, ect. She says she needs protein and of course I agree but it just makes me angry to see that her mom would be so quick to change her back instead of help her continue being veg and still remain healthy. Doesn't she understand that there can be unhealthy eaters that do eat meat- same as unhealthy vegetarians. She did not care what Kayla ate before she stopped eating meat- This is a long rant! I'm really sorry to blab but I just need a advice on how to convince Kayla's mom

Show her all the evidence that vegetarians get plenty of protein.
#81 Old 11-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fantana View Post

My boyfriend : Is it morally okay then to eat meat if the animal died of natural causes?

Me: Uh...erm...ah ****.

I'll be honest, he got me stumped there.

Smartarse.

Help?!

To me all lives are important so I'd rather the animal was buried, as I find it disrespectful to do anything else (except cremation as part of a funeral). I don't even like sitting leather couches even if they got a cover on.
#82 Old 11-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flannel Dog View Post

I cannot stand it when the omni roommates put their meat top of my food in the fridge. If this were a restaurant, they would be fined!! and the thing is, they just don't get why that's a problem.

That bothers me too (though housemates in my case, not roommates), but if it's still in the packet then it doesn't particularly bother me unless it's one of those wrappers where you can get the smell on your hands just by touching the wrapper
#83 Old 11-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Send them this

It's a food safety issue even more so than a grossing-out-the-vegetarian issue.

I'm confused - BLEACH and water?? Bleach is highly dangerous, it has the X mark on it!
#84 Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSpirit View Post

I'm confused - BLEACH and water?? Bleach is highly dangerous, it has the X mark on it!

It's a disinfectant, and when diluted, is much less dangerous than E. coli or Salmonella. Personally I prefer not to bring biohazardous 'foods' into my house. Eliminates any real need for bleach

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page