To Everyone Who Can't Find Suitable Bread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2007, 05:36 PM

I've been reading everyone's posts about having a hard time finding bread without honey or whey etc..

Here is the bread I have ate for years, it's delicious and you can order it online. I get it at Costco for like $2.50 a loaf...

http://www.silverhillsbakery.com/ind...ct&productid=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

What? I've never seen that at my Costco. I'll look for it next time. It's in the bakery section, right?
#3 Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Vegan Police Officer

It is also very easy to make one's own bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Can it be found in the US? Some brands aren't available everywhere. I'll try to go with my Mom to Costco on Saturday when she picks up some cakes (I'm not spending $50 on a Costco card when she has one).
#5 Old 08-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

It is also very easy to make one's own bread.

And it makes your house smell AMAZING!

I tend to make a giant batch of dough for the week on Sundays, then freeze and bake it through the week...that way we have fresh every day without it taking forever.

Clarexxx
#6 Old 08-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Do either of you have a homemade vegan bread recipe? I've been trying to find one with no luck.
#7 Old 08-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, check to see if you have Rudy's in your area. Not all of their breads are vegan, but many are. Fewer than 10 ingredients in your bread is a bonus too! (If you've ever tried making bread at home, you've probably noticed that all you really need is flour, water, sugar, yeast, salt, and sometimes cooking oil. That's 5 ingredients. At the store, if the other ingredients aren't ones you know what look like, they're probably dough conditioners made to keep the bread soft and prolong its shelf life.)
#8 Old 08-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that the best bread in the world is BY FAR Ezekiel 4:9 bread! It has '*Organic Sprouted Wheat, *Organic Sprouted Barley, *Organic Sprouted Millet, Malted Barley, *Organic Sprouted Lentils, *Organic Sprouted Soybeans, *Organic Spelt, Filtered Water, Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt. *Organically grown and processed in accordance with the California organic foods act of 1990.' I can't tell you how amazing this bread is. I just freeze a big loaf and have a slice every morning toasted with crunchy almond butter.
#9 Old 08-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Do either of you have a homemade vegan bread recipe? I've been trying to find one with no luck.

As Froggythefrog mentions, milk and eggs really arent essential in bread. Im very hesitant to post a recipe because of my fast-and-loose way of measuring ingredients when I make bread. But heres what I do, approximately (VERY approximately):

I dissolve 2/3 tablespoon of dry baking yeast for each loaf of bread I will be making in a cup of warm water with a tablespoon of sugar. While it starts to foam and come to life, I measure out about 2 to 2-1/2 cups of water for each loaf of bread into my dough-mixing bowl. (I usually make 4 loaves at once and freeze all but one. As Diana and others point out, fresh-baked bread is a real multisensory hedonistic delight. But I prefer to save time by making two weeks worth of bread and thawing it out later as I need it.)

So- I have this huge stainless steel mixing bowl with 9 or 10 cups of warm water, sugar, and yeast. I add maybe 4 tablespoons more of sugar (heres where it starts getting sloppy- I sort of dump a handful or two in, or maybe just pour some out of the bag of sugar). I dump and stir rolled oats or rolled rye into the mix until its becoming the consistency of very watery mud (arent you drooling now?). Then I start adding whole wheat flour right from the bag- stirring it in at first, then kneading when its too thick for that. At this point both my hands are usually engulfed in a Blob-like mass of sticky wet dough, which I keep pulling of with my fingers and mixing back into the bowl, trying not to add any hair from beard or wrists/forearms. I usually add most of a 5-pound bag of flour.

(You notice I havent added any salt. Supposedly salt controls the yeast so the bread doesnt rise so fast, but I havent noticed a problem since I started leaving it out, although I guess my bread did taste better with salt. I leave it out because I eat a lot of bread and although Im not on a salt-retricted diet, I do wind up eating plenty of salt anyway.)

There should be about an equal amount of rye or oat flakes and whole wheat flour when the dough has finally had enough flour, but Im not sure about this. Ideally, the dough shouldnt be sticky and trying to engulf you any more, but it shouldnt be so stiff and dry that its hard to knead and wont rise properly. I knead it right in the bowl: I put the bowl on the floor in front of me and Im on my knees. Then I cover it in a warm place to rise.

I grease the loaf pans with oil or margarine. The bread used to stick in the pan when I used oil, but lately it hasnt. When the dough is doubled in size, I might knead it a bit more, depending on how much I kneaded it before it rose. Then I divide the dough into equal parts, shape it into loaves, and put it in the slightly warm oven (maybe 90-100 degrees) to rise. When its risen, I bake it.

I sometimes have trouble with a big air pocket developing right under the top layer of dough- so when I slice it, the top strip of crust comes off. I dont know what causes this.

If you haven't made bread before, a cookbook would be better for information than what I just posted.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#10 Old 08-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Seriously? You need to hop onto Vegweb!

This is the recipe I use: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=5716.0

By the way... Get really angry and fold and stretch and beat your dough for 20 minutes before you set it out to rise. It gets the gluten going very nicely and you will like the results.
#11 Old 08-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Silver Hills is WONDERFUL but they have a limited distribution area. They do sell it at some Costco's and if they don't, Costco WILL order it for you (It freezes great!). They are from Canada but distribute in the US. One note, the bread molds really fast (no preservatives - YAY!) so if you can't eat a whole loaf in a day or two, freeze it.

Rudy's is awesome as well. But they have an even more limited distribution area.

Alas, breadmaking is one of those things I do NOT have time for. (Once again, the whole "time" thing) Bread is pretty much a staple for us with sandwiches, toast, french toast, etc. I'd have to make five loaves a week, probably more since I can't get as many slices out of a home-baked loaf as I can a store bought one.

Vegan bread is almost impossible to find here. In my mega-super-market I counted 42 varities of possibly wheat (or dark) bread. Insane, no? Skipping those obviously labelled "Honey-Wheat" or "Sweet-Cream and Flax" etc... I sat there for 1/2 an hour and read EVERY label.

NONE were vegan. (Maybe instead of label reading I WILL make some bread, huh).

People who have access to vegan bread have NO idea how frustrating and difficult this one simple item is to find, even in large, populated and supposedly veg.-friendly areas!

Oddly enough, Costco does stock the Silver-Hills bread and I try to buy it whenever I get there, but it's ALWAYS sold out... hmmm, could it be that there's a LOT of people like me who want vegan bread?

OK, shutting up on the vegan-bread-rant...
#12 Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a bread machine that my grandparents gave me before they moved to the retirement community place. I have yet to use it, but maybe I'll give some of the recipes a go.
#13 Old 08-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm getting a bread machine.

I'm tired of store-bought bread. Most of it is either not vegan or not good.

I like Ezekiel, but it's expensive and the rest of my family doesn't care for it.
#14 Old 08-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I keep buying vegan bread, then coming home and finding that someone has added honey to it on the walk home. I need a refresher course in Reading 101.
#15 Old 08-24-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Silver Hills is WONDERFUL but they have a limited distribution area. They do sell it at some Costco's and if they don't, Costco WILL order it for you (It freezes great!). They are from Canada but distribute in the US. One note, the bread molds really fast (no preservatives - YAY!) so if you can't eat a whole loaf in a day or two, freeze it.

Rudy's is awesome as well. But they have an even more limited distribution area.

Alas, breadmaking is one of those things I do NOT have time for. (Once again, the whole "time" thing) Bread is pretty much a staple for us with sandwiches, toast, french toast, etc. I'd have to make five loaves a week, probably more since I can't get as many slices out of a home-baked loaf as I can a store bought one.

Vegan bread is almost impossible to find here. In my mega-super-market I counted 42 varities of possibly wheat (or dark) bread. Insane, no? Skipping those obviously labelled "Honey-Wheat" or "Sweet-Cream and Flax" etc... I sat there for 1/2 an hour and read EVERY label.

NONE were vegan. (Maybe instead of label reading I WILL make some bread, huh).

People who have access to vegan bread have NO idea how frustrating and difficult this one simple item is to find, even in large, populated and supposedly veg.-friendly areas!

Oddly enough, Costco does stock the Silver-Hills bread and I try to buy it whenever I get there, but it's ALWAYS sold out... hmmm, could it be that there's a LOT of people like me who want vegan bread?

OK, shutting up on the vegan-bread-rant...

I hear ya! I buy 6 loaves a week of the silver hills stuff and it does mould SUPER easy! I keep it in my freezer and it never lasts long enough to collect freezer burn! So delicious! I love the sesame seeds along the side, it's like eating a bagel. Delicious!

You can't go wrong with bread made from raisin juice instead of sugar!

Great to know you can order it through Costco! You should lodge a request that they stock it more!

It would be nice to have the time to make bread, and then again, it wouldn't.. I would rather not eat bread than have to make 6 loaves a week!
#16 Old 08-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I always buy Ezekial (Food for Life) and Alvarado Street Bakery breads. Both are available at my regular supermarket for slightly more than the "regular" breads (which are outrageously expensive here, anyway...), usually about $4.69/loaf....

Nec Aspera Terrent
#17 Old 08-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

See, I want to find a locally made, vegan, multi-grain or dark bread with no preservatives. There's tons of bakeries around here, so I'm holding out hope.
#18 Old 08-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Where're you at, Jennifer N?
#19 Old 08-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer N View Post

See, I want to find a locally made, vegan, multi-grain or dark bread with no preservatives. There's tons of bakeries around here, so I'm holding out hope.

Froggy gave me a giftcard for Great Harvest bakery which is the ONE place around here (besides Costco) where I can get vegan bread. (Best gift ever!!)

They are a local chain but each store is a franchise - individually owned and operated - some have more vegan breads than others. You might want to see if there's one near you; they have a list in the bakery of ALL ingredients used. VERY yummy whole grain breads!
#20 Old 08-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Can any of the recipes be done in a bread maker?
#21 Old 08-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

I don't care for Ezekiel myself because it's really dry. I buy bread at TJ if at all. It does contain whey and honey, but a few months ago, it was just honey. I have no idea why they added whey to it (8 grains bread, I believe). I freeze it because if not, it molds. I bought some English muffins from TJ that molded within hours of getting it home, 3 days before the expiration date.
#22 Old 08-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Santa Cruz, CA. No Great Harvest near me, according to the locator, thanks though. I just moved here, so there's still plenty of health food stores to check out.
#23 Old 08-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmushroom View Post

I think that the best bread in the world is BY FAR Ezekiel 4:9 bread! It has '*Organic Sprouted Wheat, *Organic Sprouted Barley, *Organic Sprouted Millet, Malted Barley, *Organic Sprouted Lentils, *Organic Sprouted Soybeans, *Organic Spelt, Filtered Water, Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt. *Organically grown and processed in accordance with the California organic foods act of 1990.' I can't tell you how amazing this bread is. I just freeze a big loaf and have a slice every morning toasted with crunchy almond butter.

I agree with you 100%..It's always in my freezer
#24 Old 08-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't care for Ezekiel myself because it's really dry.

I agree. Ack. I can't even swallow the stuff it's so scratchy and dry. (And I usually love hearty, whole grain breads!)
#25 Old 08-26-2007, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I agree. Ack. I can't even swallow the stuff it's so scratchy and dry. (And I usually love hearty, whole grain breads!)

Yeah, I just don't like choking on my bread or using it to sand down a piece of wood I do love Trader Joe's bread... they need to create their own vegan version (I honestly don't know why they haven't already). My Mom is HUGE on fresh, soft bread. It's the only way she'll eat it. She has a whole loaf, but she'll go out and buy a new one just because it's not "fresh." Even if the expiration date is 2 weeks from then. She's neurotic about it. She even rubbed off on my 7 yo nephew. I freeze and toast my bread (or sometimes thaw it in the microwave). I like the natural breads while my Mom loves the ones with Enriched flour and 2 types of corn syrup. Yummm *gag*
#26 Old 08-26-2007, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer N View Post

I'm in Santa Cruz, CA. No Great Harvest near me, according to the locator, thanks though. I just moved here, so there's still plenty of health food stores to check out.

My friend is going to school at UCSC. She likes it there, do you?
#27 Old 08-26-2007, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I seriously cannot understand why Trader Joes has all those great whole grain breads and whey in every single stinkin' one of them!

Stupid Trader Joes.

They tease us vegans with wholesome, healthy looking labels and when we start reading ingredients, there's very little that we can really buy...
#28 Old 08-26-2007, 02:58 AM
Veggie Regular

It's so weird that you guys (americans) can't find bread without whey.. I am yet to find one with whey, or honey. The only thing I have to look out for is that a few companies put fish oil in their breads.
#29 Old 08-26-2007, 03:20 PM

I used to spend forever searching for a suitable vegan bread in Wal-Mart (the only store that is reasonably close to me). Finally, I decided that I needed to learn to bake my own. I found a delicious and simple recipe anyone can make, and I find it is soo much better than store bought!

Here is the recipe:

3 cups whole grain flour

1/4 cup raw sugar

1/2 tb salt

1 tb dry yeast

1 3/4 cups warm water (about a minute in the microwave)

If desired, handful of flax seed

Preheat oven to 375 on convection bake (regular bake can also be used)

Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Then add warm water and thouroughly mix until the batter is thick and moist. Pour into a loaf pan that is greased (I use cooking spray, but olive oil can also be used), sprinkle the flax seeds on top, then cover with plastic wrap and place a towel on top. Let it rise until it has doubled in size (about 20 minutes or so). Then, bake for 25 minutes (longer if not using convection).

If you want to mix it up a little, try adding a heaping teaspoon of cinnamon and/or raisins.

The only bad part about home-made bread is that it molds much faster... Makes me wonder what was in the store breads I used to buy...
#30 Old 08-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Right now we have Rudi's Organic Bakery 100% Whole Wheat from Shoprite or A&P, not sure which my mom got it from, but its not the only brand we get. I have no trouble finding breads without honey/whey, plus I make my own sometimes..lucky me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page