O'Soy yogurt (what the heck!?) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay so last week I ate my first O'Soy yogurts in the combo pack (strawberry and peach) and I really really loved them. On the side of the packaging it said: "May contain traces of milk" which I am fine with because they just say that since they make the O'Soy in the same facilities as their other yogurts.

ANYWAYS-

I bought the same O'Soy yogurt yesterday and as I was eating mine today, I was reading the packaging for fun. I noticed that it no longer said "May contain traces of milk" which I thought was weird. Instead, under the ingredients it said: Contains Milk (bacteria is milk based).

What the heck!?!!??! I just emailed them asking what this was all about but I feel that they won't reply for awhile, or ever. I am really angry. The people buying O'Soy are most likely vegan and/or lactose intolerant.

I'm so mad. Someone shed some light and say that it is a joke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2007, 04:03 PM

I would imagine that if the bacteria is milk based then it wouldn't bother lactose intolerant people. But that is pretty irritating because O'Soy is the ONLY soy yougurt within at least 30 minutes of my house, and you're right, I'm sure vegans make up a huge portion of their sales. Please keep me updated on what you find out.
#3 Old 08-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

EH! *runs to fridge*

Well I guess its back to Silk Yogurt. The only flavors I can find of the Silk is Key Lime and I think plain or something..

BAH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

The source for the cultures in Silk yogurt is also dairy, they have been upfront about that. I imagine that is going to be the case for any vegan yogurt because building up slants of those cultures from ambient sources, isolating individual strains etc is beyond the expertise of a food manufacturing company.
#5 Old 08-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

The source for the cultures in Silk yogurt is also dairy, they have been upfront about that. I imagine that is going to be the case for any vegan yogurt because building up slants of those cultures from ambient sources, isolating individual strains etc is beyond the expertise of a food manufacturing company.

If that is the case with Silk, they haven't been very upfront about it. I've never seen anything on the packaging to indicate that is the case, nor is there any reference to it on their FAQ page when asked about dairy products in their yogurt. They even say: "The bacteria used are from non-dairy sources."
#6 Old 08-12-2007, 05:54 PM

WholeSoy & Co. makes a soy yogurt that's "Certified Vegan." They're very adamant about the fact that the cultures are from non-dairy sources. The lemon flavor tastes like custard...
#7 Old 08-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

And, is that any different from getting mushrooms or organic produce that is grown using fishmeal and/or cow manure?

Ban vegetables!
#8 Old 08-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this goes with PETA's philosophy of NOT being THAT concerned with things like this because it just DISCOURAGES companies from making 99.999% vegan products. O'Soy is the only kind of soygurt I think doesn't taste like butt, and the fact that the bacteria was originally derived from dairy doesn't bother me.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I think this goes with PETA's philosophy of NOT being THAT concerned with things like this because it just DISCOURAGES companies from making 99.999% vegan products. O'Soy is the only kind of soygurt I think doesn't taste like butt, and the fact that the bacteria was originally derived from dairy doesn't bother me.

But weren't all of these cultures originally derived from dairy? I don't really care if they have a colony of bacteria growing on a plant medium that were derived from dairy many generations ago(bacterial generations). I would be less inclined to buy the yogurt if those specific cultures had been grown on a dairy medium.
#10 Old 08-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I got a reply:

Quote:
Hello ***,

Thanks for contacting us! We always welcome comments and questions from our

yogurt lovers, and we’re grateful when someone takes the time to tell us

what they think of our company and products.

To answer your question regarding whether O’Soy is completely dairy free,

some of the cultures in O'Soy contain trace amounts of dairy. Since the

cultures are used in very small amounts in the O'Soy product, these traces

of dairy in the finished product are further diluted. It is certified (D)

because it is made in a dairy plant. O’Soy is the first product produced on

the line and only after a thorough cleaning of the lines the night before.

There is always a possiblility of trace amounts in the product, due to the

fact that it is made on dairy lines, air borne particles and human error.

We test the product for dairy and strive for less than 5 parts per million

(0.000005). The industry standard is for less than 10 parts per million. If

you have any doubts on whether to consume these flavors, please contact

your doctor.

We are passionately committed to producing the best tasting, healthiest

yogurts available, and trying to do some good in the world while we’re at

it. Please visit our web site at Stonyfield.com to learn more.

Sincerely,

The folks at Stonyfield Farm

i guess i will continue to keep eating it. I guess it is really only a very trace amount, but it still bugs me. oh well. i'm sure when we go to restaurants we are consuming more non-vegan food particles than in this yogurt.
#11 Old 08-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Meh....I have a bunch in my fridge....
#12 Old 08-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I just found this out last week. I bought one as I was out and hadn't had breakfast yet. As soon as I tasted it, I noticed something was wrong. I looked at the ingredients and saw the label stating that it does contain dairy. I found some of the older version in another store and compared ingredients and there is a different bacteria. I am done with them now.
#13 Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelena View Post

I just found this out last week. I bought one as I was out and hadn't had breakfast yet. As soon as I tasted it, I noticed something was wrong. I looked at the ingredients and saw the label stating that it does contain dairy. I found some of the older version in another store and compared ingredients and there is a different bacteria. I am done with them now.

look back a page.. i posted their reply. it is like .0000005 per million. very small. i'd consider it a trace. i think it is definitely too good of a yogurt to give up eating just because the bacteria was grown in the milk.
#14 Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmushroom View Post

Okay so last week I ate my first O'Soy yogurts in the combo pack (strawberry and peach) and I really really loved them. On the side of the packaging it said: "May contain traces of milk" which I am fine with because they just say that since they make the O'Soy in the same facilities as their other yogurts.

ANYWAYS-

I bought the same O'Soy yogurt yesterday and as I was eating mine today, I was reading the packaging for fun. I noticed that it no longer said "May contain traces of milk" which I thought was weird. Instead, under the ingredients it said: Contains Milk (bacteria is milk based).

What the heck!?!!??! I just emailed them asking what this was all about but I feel that they won't reply for awhile, or ever. I am really angry. The people buying O'Soy are most likely vegan and/or lactose intolerant.

I'm so mad. Someone shed some light and say that it is a joke.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
#15 Old 08-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelena View Post

I doubt you can taste dairy in a concentration of 5 parts per million.

#16 Old 08-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Isn't it possible that a different culture could create a different tasting yogurt? If there were different concentrations of different bacteria within the culture as compared to the previous one, it may taste different. Just a theory.

The way I view it is that even though the actual amount of dairy in the product is very small, you are basically paying them to buy dairy (and indirectly supporting the dairy industry). Not all that different from supporting companies that also sell dairy, etc, but to me, the connection is a bit too close. But that's just a personal thing.
#17 Old 08-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I read the reply already and it is unacceptable. One of the bacterias they now use is dairy. I noticed it as soon as I tasted it that they changed the ingredients, it tasted like a regular yoghurt (which made me gag). After 11 years of no dairy I can taste the difference. I will stick to making my own or whole soy.
#18 Old 08-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

meh.

If it read: only contains .005 ppm dog brains, would you still eat it? It's only a trace, nothing there really, probably has more accidental rodent fecal matter and insect legs than the dog brains, but it still may contain dog brain particles.

hmmm

guess it's WholeSoy from now on.
#19 Old 08-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sure there are more dead insects in your peanut butter than there is dairy in O'Soy

#20 Old 08-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I'm sure there are more dead insects in your peanut butter than there is dairy in O'Soy

Yes, but one is there unintentionally and the other is there intentionally (supporting an unethical industry).

To me, it's not about the "yuck" factor (I am well aware that I inadvertently eat insects and I really don't care all that much as long as I don't actually see them - that's kinda gross).
#21 Old 08-17-2007, 03:12 PM

Why would you be inadvertently eating insects?
#22 Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/..._kitchen/19803

Quote:

The Department of Health and Human Services has a standard called the Food Defect Action Levels. Because it is impossible to omit all insects in food production, a level was set that was considered safe. For example, 5 insects per 100 grams of apple butter are allowed. In cornmeal, 1 insect is allowed per 50 grams. What about everybody's favorite, peanut butter? Per pound, 136 insects are allowed.

#23 Old 08-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post

Why would you be inadvertently eating insects?

Most foods you eat (especially processed ones) are contaminted with insects or rodent hair or other nasties. The FDA actually lists how much of this 'filth' is allowed in certain foods.

And in my experience, organic veggies are particularly prone to having insects in them (what I describe as 'a little bit too organic'). I always end up not eating the broccoli I cook because I pick the bugs out of it, and I know that there are many more hidden within. My boyfriend doesn't care, he likes broccoli too much (and he doesn't have to see the bugs in the process...).

It's different if the bugs are easily picked off.. but too many little critters can hide in all the crevices of the broccoli...

Meh. Rabid Child beat me to it
#24 Old 08-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Most foods you eat (especially processed ones) are contaminted with insects or rodent hair or other nasties. The FDA actually lists how much of this 'filth' is allowed in certain foods.

And in my experience, organic veggies are particularly prone to having insects in them (what I describe as 'a little bit too organic'). I always end up not eating the broccoli I cook because I pick the bugs out of it, and I know that there are many more hidden within. My boyfriend doesn't care, he likes broccoli too much (and he doesn't have to see the bugs in the process...).

It's different if the bugs are easily picked off.. but too many little critters can hide in all the crevices of the broccoli...

Meh. Rabid Child beat me to it

I never thought my brief frustration with O'Soy would cause me now to fear broccoli.... ahhhhh
#25 Old 08-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmushroom View Post

I never thought my brief frustration with O'Soy would cause me now to fear broccoli.... ahhhhh

Sorry!

It's to the point where I want tot buy the conventional stuff because I have a notion it will have less creatures in it (and likely more chemicals... ack)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page