Will you pick up the tab for meat-eating friends/family? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Will you pick up the tab for meat-eating friends/family (when they order meat)?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Maybe 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday we invited a bunch of family out to a local Mexican restaurant for my son's birthday. Since it was our "party," we decided to pick up the tab. It was only last night that it occurred to me that we had paid for meat and cheese in doing so! I mentioned that to my husband and he said the thought had crossed his mind also.

Still - we think it was our duty as hosts to pay for the meal. So we have decided that next time we will take everybody to a vegan restaurant and then there will be no issue!

Just curious what others think/do...

www.veganspoonful.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I would, but I don't think I should. I think that this is a circumstance in which I would amorally cave to social convention. It's not right, but I guess doing the right thing isn't that important to me here. This isn't a ringing endorsement of my character, but ah well... turns out I'm not the second coming of Jesus.
#3 Old 08-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^ so I'll keep waiting...

I definately wouldn't pay for people to eat meat. A vegan restaurant is an excellent idea if there's one available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Banned

Well I wouldnt .....but its good to go through these situations , and work out what you will do next time .
#5 Old 08-05-2007, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Would, have, will again. If I don't pay it doesn't cause anyone to eat less meat, but it does make me look cheap.
#6 Old 08-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I like to go out with my omni friends and I pay sometimes.
#7 Old 08-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

yes.
#8 Old 08-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Beginner

I see nothing wrong with it as long as it's mutual. I pay for their meat one time, they pay for my veggie meal the next. I may feel a little guilty but I think it is ok to do this in group situations.
#9 Old 08-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

If I only want to offer freely veggie food, then I can take them to a veggie place or make them veggie food. I think those are good ideas. Unfortunately, as much as I do not like to pay for meat, I don't think it's right to offer to buy a meal but then dictate what they get.

I was wondering, what if a Mormon was buying me a meal, should I try not to get caffeinated beverages or alcohol?
#10 Old 08-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Ankle Biter

If my parents pick up the tab for my birthday meal, of course I'll pay for Mother's Day/Father's Day - at a restaurant of their choice. If I meet my girlfriend for lunch downtown and it's my turn to pay, I certainly won't tell her she can't have meat (although, in all honesty, she nearly always orders vegetarian when she's with me because she doesn't mind veggie food and she doesn't want to offend - which is why she's by best friend. )

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#11 Old 08-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I have no problem paying for it.
#12 Old 08-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

If I only want to offer freely veggie food, then I can take them to a veggie place or make them veggie food. I think those are good ideas. Unfortunately, as much as I do not like to pay for meat, I don't think it's right to offer to buy a meal but then dictate what they get.

I was wondering, what if a Mormon was buying me a meal, should I try not to get caffeinated beverages or alcohol?

Actually, when we go out with my parents, we never order wine or beer (even though we might if we're on a date or out with friends) - because they are Christian and are uncomfortable around drinking. This applies especially if they have specified that they are "taking us out" (i.e. footing the bill) but we always make it a point not to drink around them regardless.

My dad almost ALWAYS orders a vegan meal when we are together though! We have never said a word about it, but he'll order a veggie meal and even take the trouble to ask them to hold the cheese.

Anyway...I agree with most that it's fine to pick up the tab and that I don't have to dictate what others eat when doing so. But I do think it would also be socially acceptable, win-win situation, to suggest going to a yummy vegetarian restaurant. (Luckily where I live there are several good ones to choose from.) More often, we'll just have people to our home and I'll cook up some kick-a$$ vegan food anyway.

www.veganspoonful.com
#13 Old 08-06-2007, 04:35 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, as much as I do not like to pay for meat, I don't think it's right to offer to buy a meal but then dictate what they get.

Me neither.
#14 Old 08-06-2007, 04:58 AM
Veggie Regular

i would.
#15 Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ditto.
#16 Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I have in the past and probably will again.

I actually prefer to cook for my friends and family when I want to treat them.
#17 Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

No. My flesh eating friends are usually so blown away by my charisma that they always get suckered into paying for me.

m8itcanw8.com
#18 Old 08-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

No. My flesh eating friends are usually so blown away by my charisma that they always get suckered into paying for me.

Showoff.

I think I would pay.
#19 Old 08-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I have and will again.
#20 Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I always make it clear when going out that I'm happy to pay for veggie food, but I won't pay for meat.
#21 Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM

For family, I would. For friends, no.
#22 Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Beginner

Why not for your friends Zombie?
#23 Old 08-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Beginner

No

ramsss.com
#24 Old 08-08-2007, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentil Burger View Post

I always make it clear when going out that I'm happy to pay for veggie food, but I won't pay for meat.

Same here.

I don't go to non-veg restaurants anymore anyway (or at least ones that don't have substantial vegan menus.) I'm lucky to live in a city where there's enough veg places to go that I don't need to go to those types of places. The non-veg places I do go to on occasion are the type where you order a bunch of dishes and share, so we just all eat vegan.
#25 Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

does paying for the meal make it "ok" to eat meat in the eyes of the omnis? does it weaken my (and other veg*) position? is it ultimately better to pay than to come off as anti-social? would that matter? how does it impact me personally to pay for cruelty? how does it impact the greater humanity, world?
#26 Old 08-08-2007, 04:44 PM

I would and have.

Others are going to eat what they will, and it's not about what's on their plate, but about my desire to be kind and treat them to a meal. To attach conditions to such an offer is, in my view, highly rude.
#27 Old 08-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I would only if I was hosting, but I don't know why I would be hosting in a meat-serving restaurant, anyways. I'd most likely be in a vegan restaurant, or cooking myself.
#28 Old 08-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Usually the only family I take to dinner are the nephews and niece, and usually they bring some money from home. I took them to dinner and a movie recently to celebrate/mourn, depending on how you look at it, going back to school. I used their money for their food and mine for movie tickets and popcorn. If we go to a carnival, I buy the rides, their money buys the corn dogs.

I have bought restaurant gift certificates for omni friends' b-days before which I guess is the same thing as paying for their meal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page