vegan chik salad at whfoods.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

i have never had anything like this, and it was nuts.

i've only been a veg for 7 months and havent had any fake meats,

but holy crap. i read the title.. i read the red vegan sign.. i read the ingredients.. but it not only tasted like chicken but the texture was chicken!

like when you rip it apart, it had that look. it was pretty good,

but i started to gag because i was so scared that it actually was chicken.

my mom and dad are meat eaters and coudnt tell the difference.

have you ever had fake meat that tasted so much like meat you were convinced that it really was meat??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2007, 08:24 PM

I've had some stuff like that, it was actually very disconcerting! I kept expecting to see a vein or something. : (
#3 Old 08-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah. My first nature burger at Lick's. I had just gone veggie too so it's not like I'd forgotten what meat tasted like.

Y'know I've never been to a Wholefoods, maybe I'll run down and try something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-03-2007, 12:26 AM
f_m

Yes, many. A lot of the fake meats are pretty close to the real thing.

Then again, some of them are just strange.
#5 Old 08-03-2007, 02:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Pretty convincing, isnt it? Its made by Garden Protein International. Morningstar Farms sells a consumer version of it. The guy who works at my local Whole Foods told me that when they first started selling it, they would get calls from angry customers insisting that they had been sold real chicken in their faux chicken salad!
#6 Old 08-03-2007, 07:29 PM

I had this "mock duck" stuff at a Vietnamese restaurant that I was convinced was actually duck. I've never had duck but tasting and feeling the food I thought that it HAD to have been real meat. I ordered it off of the vegetarian section though.
#7 Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe View Post

Pretty convincing, isnt it? Its made by Garden Protein International. Morningstar Farms sells a consumer version of it. The guy who works at my local Whole Foods told me that when they first started selling it, they would get calls from angry customers insisting that they had been sold real chicken in their faux chicken salad!

I just looked at the link, and it looks just like chicken! ha

the MSF one is very good, i have made chicken salad with it at home and everyone loves it.
#8 Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 PM

yes, sometimes with veggieburgers (lick's nature burger does this) i have to double check it is veggie.. sometimes i get a meat eater to compare just in case. i am very paranoid of accidently eating meat.

at a veggie restaurant i go to they actually make shrimp, duck, chicken out of soy but they look EXACTLY like meat, i would eat it and even though i knew it was soy and it tasted like soy, i still felt uncomfortable eating it because it made me think of meat too much.
#9 Old 08-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom made tacos one night and put the leftovers in the fridge. The next day we were stuggling to figure out which one was the veggie crumbles, and which was the dead cow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page