Drinking as a vegan... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-30-2007, 01:22 PM

I don't know how often this has been discussed before, but I recently turned from Vegetarian to full force vegan after doing some extensive research on the subject matter. This past weekend I had two birthday parties to attend.. On Saturday night I knew it was going to be a meaty bbq so I opted to eat vegan macaroni at home about 4 hours prior to going. Well, 4 drinks into the night and I was praying to the porcelain gods. I never used to have such an embarassingly low tolerance. Is this from becoming a full fledged vegan? Has anyone else experienced this? I have also noticed that, in general, when I drink I feel sick regardless of how much it is now... maybe it's due to the fact that I'm no longer eating 'late night veggie pizza' because I can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like you have been getting sick because you're drinking while there isn't much food in your stomach. I would think after four hours your food is already digested and your stomach is somewhat empty and then when you start drinking on an empty stomach = not good results. I don't understand why you can't have the "late night veggie pizza" anymore? You can get a vegan veggie pizza without cheese .
#3 Old 07-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Bwah ah aha hahaha! I hate when that happens. Just eat something like spaghetti or other filling food as you drink. Easy to prevent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I don't understand why you can't have the "late night veggie pizza" anymore? You can get a vegan veggie pizza without cheese .

All the pizza places that I live close to (Downtown Vancouver) do not have anything remotely close to what I can eat... What I normally eat now as my late night binge snack is: Jalepeno soy cheese with earth balance on rice crackers, topped with salsa... my version of greasy pizza!
#5 Old 07-30-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebecarrot View Post

Bwah ah aha hahaha! I hate when that happens. Just eat something like spaghetti or other filling food as you drink. Easy to prevent.

I don't know why it's been happening, I honestly ate a lot before I drank! I think it was the fact that maybe my blood is really clean at the moment (?) and it just completely rejected the booze... I'm telling you, Sunday morning, I had NEVER been so hung over... I was willing my body to just give up!! Let's just say I won't be drinking for awhile! I was just curious if this happens to otehr vegans, or have I just turned myself into a person who can't handle their booze!!! (Ohhh the shame!)
#6 Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 AM

This happened to me !!!

Have been veggie all my life then a few months back i stepped towards full veganism. It must have been about two weeks since i had eaten eggs and dairy when one night I had 1 bottle of beer and 1 bottle of cider. My body in the past could take a lot more than this before any hint of vomiting, but this night! I was seriously ill as completely emptied my stomach, then once all the booze had left my tortured tummy i felt fine. Very strange...since I have read that your tolerance to alcohol can be reduced by a vegan diet, as animal fats take much longer to digest and can help slow down the rate that alcohol hits your blood.
#7 Old 07-31-2007, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Now that you mention it I think my tolerance has gone down too. A couple of weeks after turning vegan I had three bottles of beer on a Friday night. I wasn't sick or anything (luckily I haven't been sick for any reason for about ten years) but the hangover the next day was horrific - on THREE bottles of beer! I haven't touched alcohol since cause I'm kind of afraid to now!

My only theory is that my body has got used to feeling 'clean' and healthy inside so when I put a poison in I really felt it! I suppose when I was used to feeling toxic all the time (cigarettes and alcohol were my vices) I didn't notice it when I drank a bit more than usual cause I was used to feeling like that anyway.
#8 Old 07-31-2007, 05:10 AM
Beginner

Noticed this too. I think I had a slight loss of tolerance when I just went veggie, but after the transition to vegan I can definately see the difference. It's not so much that I get drunk quicker (I was always pretty light-head anyway), but that I sober out much more slowly. I'm quite often still drunk when I wake up and the hangover hits me much later. Mostly I just try to eat beforhand and hope for the best. you know what they say: Hunger is thirst in disguise
#9 Old 07-31-2007, 10:11 AM

I'm wondering if we stay drunk longer now because we have less fats in our blood? Whatever the case, I was extremely embarassed to be hugging porcelaine at a strangers house for 3 hours!!! I honestly didn't even drink that much comparitavely to what I used to be able to drink!! I seriously think it's the fact that my diet mainly consists of basically nothing high in fat and not an overdose of protein. When I wasn't vegan/vegetarian I used to eat some sort of protein with every snack! I was on 'southbeach' so I basically lived on packaged meats and cheeses... then I realized how gross it was and wrong it was to slaughter animals...

Maybe we just aren't meant to drink as much as we think we are? Next time I drink, it will be slowly and it will most definitely be some form of wine!

---- I just never want to pray that my life will end again due to intense malaise from drinking!
#10 Old 07-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm fairly petite and thin, but i've been vegan for years and have a higher tolerance than people who are larger than i. but this might have to do with the fact that i'm not opposed to drinking a few times a week and my body is used to it.
#11 Old 07-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

(btw, i can't remember the last time i had four or more drinks, that's a lot!)
#12 Old 07-31-2007, 02:10 PM

hahaha you are right penny! 4 is a lot... although on the friday I only had two ciders and I felt DISGUSTING!! This was mainly because I waited to long to eat I think... Who knows though. It's nice to hear that I'm not entirely crazy!
#13 Old 07-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

just a quick thought on the pizza place - i've had no problems asking for cheese-free pizza from various pizzerias in my area. not that i don't get the strange look, but they've all been accommodating. i'll load it up with all manner of veggies, and it's usually great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephleberry View Post

All the pizza places that I live close to (Downtown Vancouver) do not have anything remotely close to what I can eat... What I normally eat now as my late night binge snack is: Jalepeno soy cheese with earth balance on rice crackers, topped with salsa... my version of greasy pizza!

#14 Old 07-31-2007, 09:04 PM

This happens to me too!! I used to be able to drink a lot and be okay, but as a vegan I get drunk very easily and I get sick really fast and the hangovers are really bad! I used to do tequila shots and I was fine and now I get tipsy with a glass of wine! And don't feel bad about it, I got drunk at a wedding and I don't remember half the night, that's when I realized that I can't drink like before, hehe.
#15 Old 07-31-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyBB View Post

This happens to me too!! I used to be able to drink a lot and be okay, but as a vegan I get drunk very easily and I get sick really fast and the hangovers are really bad! I used to do tequila shots and I was fine and now I get tipsy with a glass of wine! And don't feel bad about it, I got drunk at a wedding and I don't remember half the night, that's when I realized that I can't drink like before, hehe.

I was vegan for a couple of years in law school. I partied pretty hard- I was drunk 3 or 4 nights a week every week. I had no problem with my tolerance. I went back to dairy after that, but have since been vegan again for the last 10 months. I still have not had a problem with my tolerance (I now get drunk about once a week).
#16 Old 08-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I can handle a lot of alcohol and I am full-fledged vegan as well. I need numerous drinks to get drunk.

Eat lots of starchy foods and high protein foods like Boca burgers or tofu. Or something high in fat like nut butters, hummus, and avocados. I wouldn't advise eating fruits, veggies, or high-fiber foods when drinking. I just noticed that when I eat "healthy" foods while drinking, I get sick. HUMMUS is excellent while drinking.

Also drink plenty of WATER. For every drink, you should have a 1/2 glass of water. I'm telling you. I never get a hangover if I drink water.
#17 Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

I can handle a lot of alcohol and I am full-fledged vegan as well. I need numerous drinks to get drunk.

Eat lots of starchy foods and high protein foods like Boca burgers or tofu. Or something high in fat like nut butters, hummus, and avocados. I wouldn't advise eating fruits, veggies, or high-fiber foods when drinking. I just noticed that when I eat "healthy" foods while drinking, I get sick. HUMMUS is excellent while drinking.

Also drink plenty of WATER. For every drink, you should have a 1/2 glass of water. I'm telling you. I never get a hangover if I drink water.

Yeah...My diet before I drink is mostly starches and mock meats as well. They seem to be more filling, and I can drink more. I have tried mostly veggies before drinking, and I have gotten drunk too fast.
#18 Old 08-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Veggies + alcohol = sick for me. Can't eat super healthy or raw when drinking. Plus I am usually way more lax about what I am eating while inebriated anywho. hehe.
#19 Old 08-01-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

Veggies + alcohol = sick for me. Can't eat super healthy or raw when drinking. Plus I am usually way more lax about what I am eating while inebriated anywho. hehe.

hahahs sooo true! When I drank a week ago because we had some awesome fireworks here, I made a giant pan of vegan nachos (beens, red peppers, corn, onion, jalepeno soy) and had homemade salsa and hummus, I felt fine! I even got up the next day and hit the gym at 6am!

I have this horrible tendancy to panic though when I get sick (which is the worst thing you can do) and think that I am dying! It's good to know that there is a 'cure'... aka fattier foods!
#20 Old 08-01-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyBB View Post

I didn't remember my night either... I completely blame the J that was passed to me though... perhaps that was the culprit! haha
#21 Old 08-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Also ---- wine (as much as I LOVE it) makes people sicker generally because of the sulfites. So if you have a few glasses of wine, you gotta drink your H2O.
#22 Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 AM

Good point! I know that even when I wasn't a vegan and I drank wine, I couldn't move my head the next day! Always felt like it weighed at least 50 pounds.
#23 Old 08-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Water will fix that though. Drink water while you have wine and youre good usually.
#24 Old 08-01-2007, 11:59 AM

My only problem with the whole, sitting around casually drinking thing, is that I generally get to a point where my body says: YOU ARE FULL OF LIQUID! STOP! hahaha unless I am out dancing with the gf's or eating salty food, I generally don't get the urge to drink water, and I have puked before from forcing myself... loose loose... Lesson I am learning is: Don't drink so much! and 'Sip'.. which I've never learnt to do.
#25 Old 08-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

It makes me wonder if it's an issue with detoxing. Your body goes into a detox mode due to the elimination of dairy/etc and then is introduced to toxins in the alcohol - the liver is like WHOA - and the body eliminates the poison . . .

Just an idea. *shrug*
#26 Old 08-02-2007, 04:51 PM

If I'm not mistaken most all alcoholic beverages aren't even vegan..

It's something to do with the filtering, fish guts and/or bone char is used somewhere in the process.

I've heard there's vegan wines and beers, but you have to find them at specialty stores. I've been trying forever to locate some vegan wine..
#27 Old 08-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

you're right - some spirits are filtered through isinglas as a clarifying agent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isinglass

i've seen several guides like the one below online. the good news - there are plenty of vegan friendly options on the shelves of your grocery store.

http://www.tastebetter.com/features/booze
#28 Old 08-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Beginner

My tolerance for wine and hard drinks has stayed the same while my tolerance for beer lowered a bit.
#29 Old 08-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephleberry View Post

You should definitely switch to samosas.
#30 Old 08-03-2007, 11:05 AM

hmmm what a delicious idea!!! I am rather fond of pumpkin fritters from our local market here.. sooooo delicious!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page