What are your fave vegan cookbooks? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 AM

I'm trying to switch to a vegan diet.

Have quite a few vegetarian cookbooks, but would like to pick up a few vegan ones. I really need to get some new family faves before school starts and I am too busy to experiment.

So what are your favorites for everyday meals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I have two vegan cookbooks I like: "The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook" by Jo Stepaniak and "The Almost No-Fat Cookbook" by Bryanna Clark Grogan, who also has a website with lots of great recipes at http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/579094.htm.

But by far, my favorite #1 source for tried-and-true vegan recipes is vegweb.com

I rarely use my cookbooks anymore.
#3 Old 07-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

i really like Sarah Kramer's series (there are three of them). Here's her website. These cookbooks really taught me how to cook and contain tons of yummy but quite simple dishes.

My newest fav is Vegan with a Vengance but i find the recipes more advanced and better suited to a somewhat experienced cook.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan with a Vengeance is the first cookbook I ever got, and it is by far my favourite. Everything in it is very easy, even though it may look complicated, and her recipes are really inventive and different. Her veggie burger recipe is the best I've tried so far, and the peanut butter-oatmeal cookies are to die for.

I also like Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen because it doesn't rely on trippy ingredients that you can only find in the HFS but on basic ingredients that you'd probably already have (olive oil, garlic, parsley, tomatoes, chickpeas, olives, etc.). How it All Vegan is very basic but also very good - best chocolate chip cookies ever. I also own Vegan Planet and give it a rating of "meh". Don't be seduced by the sheer size of it (something like 400 recipes) - everything I've made from it has turned out very bland.

Hope that helps! Good luck going vegan!
#5 Old 07-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi! I just did a little review of my favorite vegan cookbooks on my blog. Here it is: Vegan Cookbook Reviews

Good luck and congrats on your transition to veganism!

www.veganspoonful.com
#6 Old 07-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatilian View Post

i really like Sarah Kramer's series (there are three of them). Here's her website. These cookbooks really taught me how to cook and contain tons of yummy but quite simple dishes.

My newest fav is Vegan with a Vengance but i find the recipes more advanced and better suited to a somewhat experienced cook.

I love these one's too.
#7 Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

I only have 2: Vegan with a Vengeance and Vegan Lunch Box. I haven't used Lunch Box, but VWAV is good! I just made Coconut pancakes with pineapple sauce for lunch
#8 Old 07-25-2007, 04:03 PM

thanks.

I just ordered Vegan with a Vengeance and the Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. I've been looking at them at the bookstore for awhile.

And I also got that cupcake book--I have to keep the kiddos happy afterall!
#9 Old 07-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I only have 2: Vegan with a Vengeance and Vegan Lunch Box. I haven't used Lunch Box, but VWAV is good! I just made Coconut pancakes with pineapple sauce for lunch

Oh my GOD, those coconut pancakes are so effing good. I made them for my anniversary with my boyfriend - wow, were they good. It was like eating cake for breakfast.
#10 Old 07-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World....ok, so it's not a 'cook' book....but I'd rather eat cupcakes than food anyway!!
#11 Old 07-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Another vote for Vegan with a Vengeance, its my favorite, but it is a little bit involved. I like Vegan Planet a lot, it has something like 400 recipes in it. I'm not gonna say they're all winners, but it certainly has a lot of choices and I like that I can always find something different to try.
#12 Old 07-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually find I have better luck on the web. I can google whatever ingredients I have and the words "vegan recipe" and find a dozen choices for almost anything.

VWAV was too involved for for me - and I like complicated recipes and all... I guess it just had a lot of recipes using things I don't usually buy or something...

That said:

Anything by Nava Atlas is great (especially her updated "Soup" cookbook 'cause she published one of MY recipes so I have to shamelessly self-promote...)

Also, Bryanna Clark Grogans recipes ALWAYS turn out wonderful though they sometimes have a lot of ingredients...

There are tons of vegan cooking blogs on the web too. Those are awesome because there's always tons of colorful pictures of things made by REAL people.
#13 Old 07-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

Oh my GOD, those coconut pancakes are so effing good. I made them for my anniversary with my boyfriend - wow, were they good. It was like eating cake for breakfast.

I was quite impressed too! So impressed, that when my boyfriend got off work after working the night shift this morning, I made him banana pancakes I used the regular pancake recipe and added 1 1/2 mashed bananas...it was even better than the coconut pancakes (I thought). Did you have a problem with the pineapple sauce thickening? I cooked mine for 10 minutes and it was still liquid.

Have you tried the scrambled tofu yet? I'm not a huge tofu fan, but if you think it's good, I'll give it a try

And tomorrow, I'm making the Chocolate Chocolate Chip pancakes! Pancakes are the best!!!
#14 Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Tofu-N-Sprouts, the web is the best place to find recipes. Most of my favorites came from places like AllRecipes.com. I actually rarely use my cookbooks. I'm on a VWAV kick now, but normally, it's all about AllRecipes and VegWeb

What's best... when you find your favorite recipes, copy them into a Word/Works document, make them a pretty font with nice pictures, print them, and add them to a notebook with paper protectors. Best thing I ever did! All of my favorite recipes are together, organized into categories (soups, entrees, desserts, appetizers). I also have a blog where I post everything. I like the hardcopy because I can take it to the store, plus I've been in situations where the internet has gone down.
#15 Old 07-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What's best... when you find your favorite recipes, copy them into a Word/Works document, make them a pretty font with nice pictures, print them, and add them to a notebook with paper protectors. Best thing I ever did! All of my favorite recipes are together, organized into categories (soups, entrees, desserts, appetizers). I also have a blog where I post everything. I like the hardcopy because I can take it to the store, plus I've been in situations where the internet has gone down.

I don't know why I've never done this. I love looking through Vegweb, but I hardly ever cook anything from it, because I need a recipe right in front of me.

Seriously, I must have something wrong in my brain not to do something like this.
#16 Old 07-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnorkie View Post

I don't know why I've never done this. I love looking through Vegweb, but I hardly ever cook anything from it, because I need a recipe right in front of me.

Seriously, I must have something wrong in my brain not to do something like this.

I had some free time on my hands when I did it. My recipe book is so pretty... the outside cover is pink and green argyle. The inside pages are all in the same format too. What's also good, after you make the recipe, if you have any modifications you made, you could type them up on the recipe page so you always remember. I think I'm going to make a second one to keep in my car for when I'm out and want to stop at the store.

I got bored and took 2 pictures:

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...cipebook01.jpg

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...cipebook02.jpg

#17 Old 07-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Beginner

I use these all the time:

Vegan with a Vengeance

The Alternative Vegan

and How it all Vegan

I have Please Don't Feed the Bears but I have yet to look through it, it's kind of pissing me off because it doesn't have an index or a table so I can FIND stuff. Grr!

.. I've been thinking about Soy Not Oi!

Edit: But I'd like to extend a warm thankyou to the internet for most of my most favorite vegan recipes of all time
#18 Old 07-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I had some free time on my hands when I did it. My recipe book is so pretty... the outside cover is pink and green argyle. The inside pages are all in the same format too. What's also good, after you make the recipe, if you have any modifications you made, you could type them up on the recipe page so you always remember. I think I'm going to make a second one to keep in my car for when I'm out and want to stop at the store.

I got bored and took 2 pictures:

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...cipebook01.jpg

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...cipebook02.jpg

Very nice!

I am going to start this, although I can make one guarantee....mine will not come out looking nearly as nice and neat as yours!
#19 Old 07-29-2007, 09:14 PM

'how it all vegan' is great, it has the vegan version of basically anything you can think of. tons i haven't tried though, i am lazy and i need to get on trying new recipes. (oh i use vegweb, and vegancooking livejournal group too).
#20 Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnorkie View Post

Very nice!

I am going to start this, although I can make one guarantee....mine will not come out looking nearly as nice and neat as yours!

I promise you that you could make a very nice recipe book. It's super easy. And if you go to Target, you can get the notebook and sheet protectors for about $5. Plus, a bonus with the pages is that they wipe clean! I used to get so mad when I'd spill on my cookbooks.

I added about 7 more recipes to my recipe book yesterday... even added a Breakfast section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page