food supplements - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 AM
Beginner

This has probably been done before, searched through but wasnt able to find anything so im going to ask here.

Do you think vegans need to be taking some kind of supplements in their diet?

Do you? and if so what kind?

Iv just got into a disagreement with my GP who says the vegan diet without supplements is dangerous. Now normally i would think she was just trying to promote some vitamin company she has shares in but the past few months iv been looking really crap, skin suffering, hair gone weird, exhaustion, aches in my legs. Think she could be on something or is it me just ill or something? There is no way i could ever go back to being veggie after a year and half as a vegan now. What should i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2007, 03:54 AM
Veggie Regular

B-12 seems to be the main supplement needed in a vegan diet, from what I"ve heard throughout this board. If your diet consists of fruits, veggies, beans, whole grains, you should be getting sufficient nutrition that your body needs. I'm not a nutritionist, by any stretch of the imagination. I mainly pay attention to the b-12. I use a lot of nutitional yeast which is a good source, otherwise I have the liquid b-12. I also supplement with calcium (age related) and a liquid multi-vitamin, but not on a daily basis. It's been working for me. I can't say if your symptoms are related to vitamin deficiency or not. I would think some bloodwork would show if you were having a problem in a certain area. If we wait a bit, I'm sure someone will pop in with their thoughts on the subject.
#3 Old 07-18-2007, 03:58 AM
Beginner

thanks for that, i think what i could do with is a nutritionist to go through my diet with me, though i dont think i can get that for free. I do note down what i eat to make sure im getting a balance. Id love a professional to go through it with me though.

If anyone knows of any links that can act as a guide, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

all vegans should supplement with B12.

calcium supplements are also a pretty good thing.

and, if you live in northern latitudes, vitamin D will help you out as well.
#5 Old 07-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I basically just take a multivitamin and watch for b12. Like others, I use a lot of Nutritional Yeast though.

I have a question though: Does cooking food cause it to lose some of it's protein?

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#6 Old 07-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Cooking food doesn't cause it to lose protein (as far as I know) but you need to make sure your protein sources are varied. Most vegetable proteins are incomplete but as long as you eat a good variety of food, you'll be getting all the protein you need. If your diet consists of seitan and bread and little else, you won't be getting all the amino acids you need. So make sure you're eating beans and whole grains and nuts and vegetables and fruits and you'll be fine. Then to cover all your bases, take a multi-vitamin with b-12 and maybe a calcium suppliment.
#7 Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't take supplements. I probably should, but I have been to the doctor and had no problems. I just make sure to eat plenty of fortified foods. When shopping, I specifically look for these things in foods: B vitamins (especially 12), calcium, iron, and vitamin D. I feel pretty confident that I am getting what I need, but it all depends on your overall diet. Also, watch out for your omegas. Avocados, olives, certain oils, and flax are the best sources for those.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page