don't know what to do... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-17-2007, 02:09 PM

i am going off to college in september, and my school, as far as i know is really lacking in vegan food options. also, being a freshman, it is required for me to purchase a meal plan and i would not want all that money to go to waste (by me not eating much of the food since they do not have options i like). however there is an appeal process to get smaller meal plan for medical or other reasons, but can only be appealed after completing 1 full semester . i also just found out that i am b12 deficient, and have been advised to go back to at least a vegetarian diet along with taking a b12 supplement. i love my vegan lifestyle and i've lived this way forever it feels, however i don't want to waste what would you do in this situation? thanks everyone in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Beginner

I go to college in Wisconsin and there are some vegetarian and vegan options here. When I eat lunch on campus I usually just go nuts at the salad bar or get a veggie sandwhich. There is also a pasta bar here that has marinara sauce that is pretty good. I would assume that your school would have these options as well? I find myself with the same problem of not being able to spend all of my meal plan money so I usually will use it to buy myself a coffee in the morning before class. It helps to use up the money. Not sure if you are a coffee drinker, but it's an idea. You could also contact the dining department at your school and ask about other options (not sure if you have already done that or not). Hope this helps!
#3 Old 07-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what to say about the college thing. When you get there suggest them to have more veg options.

As for b12, take a supplement, eat lots of foods fortified with it. Take nutritional yeast and use it in lots of your cooking.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

You really do not need to go back to "at least a vegetarian diet" to get your B-12. A pill supplement will work just as well. You can also get a shot.

I wouldn't always attribute low B-12 to a veg diet. Years ago when I was an omni I had a blood test and my B-12 was low. Some people also don't absorb it that well, even when they eat meat.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#5 Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're "deficient" it may be that you have an inability to absorb B12 and all the pills in the world won't help much - shots would be the best even though they don't sound like much fun...
#6 Old 07-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Ditto what others have said on the B-12. You could have been deficient as an omnivore (including "lacto-ovo vegetarian"). B-12 issues are, assuming you are consuming enough, absorpability problems.

You will have to speak up and make sure you have options. If you are purchasing something, your voice should be heard. Be firm. You need to be nourished and they should provide options. The vegan options will be edible by everyone (unless there are peopel with allergies) so it's not like they are making it just for you.
#7 Old 07-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

You might want to start speaking to food service at the school now. Also if you have specific dietary needs, you can sometimes get permission to NOT buy the full meal plan, and they can house you where there is a kitchen so you can cook for yourself. Whatever you do, don't wait until you get there and find you can't eat. Start advocating for yourself now.

WRT B12, start your supplements and then get retested to see if it helps. B12 deficiency can cause mental health problems, so definitely keep a close eye on it.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 07-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

If you're "deficient" it may be that you have an inability to absorb B12 and all the pills in the world won't help much - shots would be the best even though they don't sound like much fun...

sublingual tabs should help just as much as shots. it also goes around the gut absorption issue since it's being absorbed into the bloodstream via the veins under the tongue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page