eating out - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Beginner

Have to laugh about this, i went to Cardiff with a meat eating friend at the weekend who invited me to join him for sunday lunch providing we could find somwhere doing vegan food.

So off we went to the bay, which has loads of places to eat. First place just said no nothing on the menu for vegans, second place - the guy asks what a vegan is, i told him a veggie but cant have dairy or egg, this is where me and my friend cracked up, he offered me a cheese and ham toastie without the cheese Third place offered me a sunday lunch without the meat or gravy. When i realised they cooked the food on the premisis i asked if they could just chuck together some veggies and spices to make me a stir fry, cheif looked and said "well i would but we cant use the frying pans during sunday lunches". "Hmmmm ok i said, you serve rice with the chili", "yes" he said, "ok ill have rice, chuck in a few spices, herbs and mixed beans, ill be happy with that". "Ah sorry madam, dont really have much varieties of beans but we do have garden peas is that ok". "OK" says me, "how about the veggies but served raw (cauli, brocoli, carrot etc) with some humous". Cheif looks rather blank and says "humous"

Isnt it strange how the most basic of foods like raw veggies in an interesting salad with oil of some kind, boiled rice with a few spices and beans, stir fried veggies cant be served yet they can do these fantasticly huge roast dinner with all the trimmings for meat eaters or a cheese pasta bake for a veggie. My meal would have taken less time to prepare and cook and probably less energy too.

Very strange. What do you do when eating out with veggie or meat eating friends? I have sometimes taken a small tub containing vegan mayo or pure spread to put on jacket potato and salad, i also know pizza hut will do you a vegan pizza where you can take your own vegan cheese to have put on.

If only more places would cater for us eh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Pizza hut pizza can be made vegan? Neat.

You probably don't want advice from me about eating out. Last time I went out with my parents I told the waitress, "I'll have a house salad, no cheese, no croutons, and just an oil and vinegar dressing." She said, "Sure honey, no problem." My salad came and... It was a caesar salad, with croutons, parmesan cheese, and caesar dressing. Grrr.
#3 Old 07-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

When I'm eating out with my sister she ends up saying to the waiter/waitress something along the lines of: make sure it has no cheese or butter or anything cause she's allergic to dairy, ok? It usually works and keeps people from going trying to understand what on earth a vegan is and why I wouldn't want to eat dairy, especially here in Brazil where there are practically no vegans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Beginner

Yeah i often go with the allergy thing too.
#5 Old 07-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to use the allergy line - especially in my early days. I stopped when I read (on VB) about people that have to flash their epi pens in order to be taken seriously about their requests.

Now, I use words like "intolerant", "reactive", "will make me sick"... anything but "allergy".

I know it's different in different countries/different languages. I'm only speaking about ordering in English in US.
#6 Old 07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Beginner

I would have thought the restaruant would have to take it very serious if you tell them you have an allergy. Imagine if someone really did have one and wasnt taken seriously, could mean a bit of vomiting to put others off their meal or could lead to something much more life threatening.

I dont think restaurants dare ignore it when you say you have an allergy. Besides after what i saw in Cardiff at the weekend i think many would look blank at you if you use big words like intolerant or reactive lol.
#7 Old 07-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Meh. I've tried the intolerant/sensitivity/allery thing and it doesn't work. And I am intolerant or sensitive or allergic to milk (I just haven't figured out which - but it really messes with me).

One time I went through a big spiel with the waitress, finally found something vegan (clearly stating that I am intolerant to dairy), only to have the entree served with a sized of cheddar jalapeno bread and two packets of butter. Ugh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page