Soy milk gives me heartburn... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-28-2007, 07:23 AM

Am I the only one? What are some tips that may help alleviate the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

How do you react to other soy products? You may be sensitive to soy.

Are you gulping down a big glass of it or using it in smaller amounts in cooking? Sometimes a big glass of liquid can cause reflux of stomach acids - or heartburn - just because of the volume dumped in your stomach so fast. (Water not so much, because you don't have to "digest" water with stomach acids).

Or it may be that you are just sensitive to soymilk all by itself for whatever reason. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to the way our bodies react.

I'd suggest using another milk substitute, there are many out there, and they've all been discussed here on VB dozens of times. Do a search.
#3 Old 06-28-2007, 07:54 AM

I have never had heartburn from soy milk but if i drink loads of it in a day my stomach feels a little weird. I personally dont think that soya is that healthy (obviously much healthier than animal milk so I dont like to have it everyday.

Please try and find some of these tasty `milks`

Oat Milk - plain or yummy chocolate !!

Rice Milk - plain or vanilla

Quinoa Milk is very nice !

Almond milk is ok but very sweet !

there are several different brands of soya milk, i think the Alpro one is the worst tasting of them all. But hey I had vegan banana custard last night thanks to Alpro so much respect

Good Luck I hope you find something that agrees with your tummy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Beginner

I was using soy milk until I reacted unfavorably to it, kind of upset stomach all the time. Now I drink rice milk and I also found a hazelnut milk that is delicious. My homeopath said I could have a sensitivity to soy but I think at some point, I'll try it again.
#5 Old 06-29-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

How do you react to other soy products? You may be sensitive to soy.

Are you gulping down a big glass of it or using it in smaller amounts in cooking?

I was drinking about two glasses a day. Maybe I drank it too close to bedtime. I'm not sure. Anyway I had food allergy tests a year ago and they showed I'm not allergic to it.
#6 Old 06-29-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofferd View Post

I have never had heartburn from soy milk but if i drink loads of it in a day my stomach feels a little weird. I personally dont think that soya is that healthy (obviously much healthier than animal milk so I dont like to have it everyday.

Please try and find some of these tasty `milks`

Oat Milk - plain or yummy chocolate !!

Rice Milk - plain or vanilla

Quinoa Milk is very nice !

there are several different brands of soya milk, i think the Alpro one is the worst tasting of them all. But hey I had vegan banana custard last night thanks to Alpro so much respect

Good Luck I hope you find something that agrees with your tummy.

Thank you. I'll try out your suggestions.
#7 Old 06-30-2007, 03:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofferd View Post

You can buy Almond milk unsweetened...sometimes it's hard to find, but usually I'm pretty lucky.
#8 Old 07-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Beginner

Other options:

Hemp Milk

also there's a Soy/Rice blend which may cut down on the heartburn if you still want some soy.
#9 Old 07-10-2007, 01:56 PM

Well I think I've narrowed the problem down to the carrageenan. A seaweed derived ingredient used to thicken and stabilize the soymilk. I seem to have a sensitivity to it. It irritates my throat and makes it swell. So I'll never drink Silk soymilk again. As anyone else had a problem with carrageenan?
#10 Old 07-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I was going to mention carrageenan, too. Seems that the thing that bothers most people when it comes to soy milk sensitivities. I think there are brands that don't have it in, but I'm not sure which brands those are. You'll just have to read the labels to see.

No reason to give it up - just find a brand that doesn't have carrageenan in it.
#11 Old 07-10-2007, 05:13 PM

Try mixing some water in the soymilk.

I get heartburns from orangejuice if i don't mix it so it's almost half water half orangejuice
#12 Old 07-01-2019, 05:51 AM

Soy milk is a good drink and source of vitamin A, vitamin B-12, potassium, protein. As vegan can't have cow milk, soy milk has equivalent protein, as much protein is in cow milk. And soy milk can be fortified with vitamin D and calcium too. So giving up soy milk is not the right decision, please find an alternative way to have soy milk. Anyways, I love soy milk too much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page