what is vegan in the trader joe's frozen aisle? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Beginner

i notice alot of the frozen products seem like they could be vegan, but they end up having dairy in them. i.e. potato pancakes

the ones i know are vegan are:

roasted vegetable pizza (nice take on the amy's version)

black bean and corn enchiladas

anything else? their frozen aisle can be overwhelming, and i dont really have the time to read labels for all of them. maybe we could help each other out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Baby Love

vegetable bird nests

vegetable gyoza

There's some sort of veggie rice bowl that's vegan. I also like the non-frozen barley soup (also vegan). I'm sure there's more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.
#3 Old 06-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

All I can think of offhand is:

Vegan fried rice

Veggie burrito bowl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

ahh cool i was hoping someone would eventually make a thread like this about TJ's. FYI if you didnt already know TJ's repackages and relabels lots of their items so chances are if a product says its from TJ's but it looks very similar to another brand( like that pizza from amys) its from that other brand
#5 Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, I get so irritated with Trader Joe's.

I know they seem to be so popular but I can't stand all that packaging.... they even wrap up the apples and oranges in styrofoam trays and clear plastic wrap, for goodness sake!

Their WINE is pretty dang cheap tho...
#6 Old 06-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

They have vegan waffles.
#7 Old 06-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never been to a trader Joes but I hear the Popsicles are vegan.
#8 Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

The Arrabiata Penne is vegan and very yummy.

Meatless Meatballs

Soy Nuggets

Sorbet

There's a couple of stir frys

I *think* I saw one of the waffle flavors weren't vegan, I forgot which one, its the one I wanted but I think it had egg or something?...

That's all I can think of right now. I've read almost every package there, next time I'll go I'll try to remember some of the things I know are vegan. :P

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#9 Old 06-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

They have two different kinds of veggie burritos, but be careful: The package that says "grilled vegetable" has cheese in it. It's not apparent on the front of the package; you have to turn it over to check the ingredients. The OTHER kind of vegetable burrito is vegan.

And TNS, I don't know about your TJ's, but mine no longer wraps up the apples in styrofoam trays; they're now loose, like all the other markets, so customers can choose how many they want. And oranges come in large plastic bags, which I THINK are recyclable.

*this space not for sale*
#10 Old 06-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Veggie Regular

The vegan pad thai is pretty good.
#11 Old 06-26-2007, 06:04 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

And TNS, I don't know about your TJ's, but mine no longer wraps up the apples in styrofoam trays; they're now loose, like all the other markets, so customers can choose how many they want. And oranges come in large plastic bags, which I THINK are recyclable.

Mine no longer wraps the apples or oranges either. It was nice to see a few less over-packaged produce items.

Another vegan product I remembered ... some of the varieties of Dr. Pragers veggie burgers.
#12 Old 06-28-2007, 03:29 PM

The Banana Waffles are vegan . I LOVE that roasted veggie pizza, OMG its fantastic. The sorbets are pretty yum. They they have the bbq riblets . I'm sad though that they seem to have a lot of yummy meatless stuff like the corndogs, but come to find they have egg in them . Then they carry way too much morningstar stuff, that all has eggs and dairy.
#13 Old 06-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy mostly frozen food when I go to TJs. Like someone else said it does get annoying when you see something veggie and it turns out to be vegetarian and not vegan. One thing that made me made though, I used to buy their brand of vegan nuggets for my neice, but they recently changed the ingredients so that they have egg in it.
#14 Old 06-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I know this thread is about what vegans CAN get at TJ's, but I wanted to warn everybody - and not just vegans - about something NOT to get there - the chocolate covered sunflower seeds. Not only do the ingredients include skimmed milk powder and whey powder, but also gelatin! What?

So this item is not only not vegan, it's not even vegetarian.

Their instant miso soup isn't vegetarian, either.

*this space not for sale*
#15 Old 06-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular

The vegan nuggets changed? :-( I just ran out, I'll have to check again.

I went there again today, I saw something new (to me at least). Its a vegetable masala burger. Its potato with carrot, onions, and other veggies in it. Personally, I didn't like it because of some of the veggies & onions, but less picky eaters might like it. (:

My TJ's puts the pears in plastic. And the tomatoes come in a plastic container too. It really bothers me, its so wasteful. I might just buy my veggies somewhere else so I can put them in a reusable bag when I buy them.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#16 Old 06-30-2007, 06:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you for this thread!!

Last Saturday my husband and I were at TJ's. He left me in a frozen food aisle to get something else, and I found a bag of frozen spiced rice that looked vegan. When my husband returned, I told him that I might come here before the baby is born to get some frozen convience foods for days when I don't feel much like cooking. He seemed agreeable to that, so I might just do so. As my mind wandered sometime that evening, I thought about starting a thread on here, but hadn't gotten to it.

I think I'll C&P the lists on to (onto?) Word so that I have it more easily available in August/September. (We're moving in August; The baby is due September.)

I wonder if it might be worth us writing about some of the stuff that used to be vegan and now isn't.

Again, thank you,

Laura
#17 Old 06-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ad View Post

I went there again today, I saw something new (to me at least). Its a vegetable masala burger. Its potato with carrot, onions, and other veggies in it. Personally, I didn't like it because of some of the veggies & onions, but less picky eaters might like it. (:

I got these at the TJ's in NY when I was visiting my parents and I loved them, but they don't have them in the TJ's here!
#18 Old 07-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Beginner

Frozen Chocolate covered bananas
#19 Old 07-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleinman View Post

Frozen Chocolate covered bananas

Did they change the ingredients of these? Because last time I checked, they were not vegan. I read all ingredients everytime I buy something so that I don't accidentally buy something non-vegan. I liked the masala burgers too.
#20 Old 07-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I was there the other day and the ones in my store were still not vegan.

And the Masala burgers are tasty!One of the two things I actually found to buy last time I was there. (There's other vegan stuff, but like I've said, just expensive and too much packaging, processing, etc..)

Anyway, the Masala Burgers - I wrap some (vegan) naan around them with some raw spinich for my lunch at work. not something I can do often, but for a treat...Yum.
#21 Old 07-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I just went to TJ's yesterday and now they have the Masala burgers! Yay!
#22 Old 07-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Beginner

as an aside, as far as i know, the cornbread mix is vegan (the only possible non-vegan item i know is the enriched corn meal product in the ingredients.). the organic corn is inexpensive, i love that. the green beans i've heard are unparalleled in their taste (my mom likes them). i've bought the wheat-free waffles before, but this was a while ago so i can't really say that they're vegan.
#23 Old 07-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

They have vegan and non vegan waffles. The blueberry waffles are not vegan, but the banana ones are.
#24 Old 07-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Jedi

I'm not sure, but what about their lentil, split pea & black bean soups?

Beware the samosas! They have amylase, which typically comes from swine.
#25 Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I just went to TJ's yesterday and now they have the Masala burgers! Yay!

ohhh that sounds delicious, im gonna have to pick some up this weekend
#26 Old 07-03-2007, 01:17 AM
Give peas a chance

I like those Masala burgers. They are like a very spicy potato pancake.

Some of the TJ's carry Morningstar Grillers Vegan. Very burger-like and it holds up well when I stack things in the sandwich. But I'm not sure exactly what the product is. The package says "100% Vegetarian" and that it's "Classic grilled burger taste, vegan-style". Vegan-style? Not sure what that means.

Soy Delicious ice cream

They have a 4-hummus tray that I get when I have guests. Regular, Garlic, Tomato-Basil and Spicy. I've been trying to figure out how to replicate the spicy recipe.

TJ's Meatless Meatballs are vegan, but there is 110mg of sodium in each one.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#27 Old 07-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I made my first ever Trader Joe's trip today. The Masala burgers are awesome. The naan is good. The vegan pad thai is tasty!

We went to an older, smaller TJ's. Next month a brand spanking new store opens right around the corner from my work. There was also supposed to be a new Henry's but now I heard it might be a Whole Foods. In the same shopping center!
#28 Old 07-03-2007, 12:59 PM

double rainbow soy ice cream- mine sells mango vanilla and very cherry chip (think vegan cherry garcia) I second whoever said veggie bird's nests- very tasty, although i can't imagine them being very good for you!
#29 Old 08-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mmmm.... Very Cherry Chip I bought the burger everyone has been raving about. I'm excited to try it!
#30 Old 08-22-2007, 02:07 AM

I <3 Trader Joe's. When we were visiting IL/IN recently, I was lusting after the frozen food items that I'd not be able to take with me on a plane.

From the frozen food aisles, I'd definitely second the birds' nest, the soy nuggets (the ones in Indy were vegan about a month ago), the enchiladas and of course, Soy Cream.

The only other ones that come quickly to mind from the frozen aisle are the biryiani (sp) and the potstickers. I got some spring rolls there once that were vegan and very good, but I've not seen them lately.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page