alcoholic beverages - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Beginner

I love wine but there are only a few brands that specifically have a suitable for veggie/vegan sticker on them. Great for drinking at home or taking along to a party/dinner whatever, but what about drinking out for example pubs and clubs?

What do you drink and do you know if its veggie/vegan friendly?

We could do with some kind of list here so we know which ones are ok to drink when were out.

I do like cider too, someone told me recently that cider was ok for vegans.

Would be useful to know which drinks are or arnt safe and is it true that beers, ciders and wines aged in oak barrels are lined with lard?

YUK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Wine can be tricky. You may want to find out what brands are safe, and then only choose those brands when out.

Most beers are animal-free. Most of the big mass-produced beers, like Budweiser/Busch, are safe. Many microbrews are too. The exception is some brands which use isenglass, a fish ingredient, in their processing. The most famous example of a nonvegan beer is Guinness.

When I'm at a bar, I most typically get "flavored malt beverages" like Smirnoff Ice or mixed drinks. Mixed drinks are pretty safe, because it is typically obvious when they contain animal ingredients--like cream-based "dessert" drinks or those spiced with Worchestershire sauce. Most common mixed drinks are simply liquor and juice or soda.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#3 Old 06-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Even though the finnished product doesn't contain animal products, doesn't mean that animal products hasn't been used during the clearing prossess.

All I know is that there are many vegan beers, like Carlsberg for example. Other than that I am clueless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-24-2007, 02:05 PM

Since learning this, I exclusively drink german beers because it is actually against the law to use anything other than barley, hops and water to make their beer. I am not sure about the lard though. I haven't heard about that. The upside of this is that you can scoff at people who drink guiness or newcastle because those beers do not adhere to stict beer purity laws of germany (and I think denmark), so there.
#5 Old 06-28-2007, 03:00 PM

Budweiser, Red Stripe, PBR, corona... I usually stick to those, you can find it pretty much anywhere and as far as I know they are all Vegan. As far as wine goes, Yellow Tail is a safe one.
#6 Old 06-28-2007, 07:50 PM

Frey's is organic, sulfite free and vegan.
#7 Old 06-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eich View Post

Since learning this, I exclusively drink german beers because it is actually against the law to use anything other than barley, hops and water to make their beer. I am not sure about the lard though. I haven't heard about that. The upside of this is that you can scoff at people who drink guiness or newcastle because those beers do not adhere to stict beer purity laws of germany (and I think denmark), so there.

Reinheitsgebot doesn't apply to finings, since they are left in the keg when the beer is tapped. Subsequently isinglass is not forbidden, and is still used in some German beers.

I've heard the lard thing before, but haven't ever seen any real evidence. If anyone can give any examples, I'd love to see them.
#8 Old 06-29-2007, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

EVERYBODY: Please!! >>

When saying (or stating even!!) your suggestions of what you think you know, please bring

into the equation whether or not you are vegan or vegetarian, else a vegan

could think you are recommending something suited for a vegan perspective.....

Information becomes a bit circumspect to say the least IF you make no allusion/prophecii, about which your diet... by leaving out your own agenda and preferences, and tolerances/exceptions, to ingredients, ETC;; you therefore make hard the info we want tracable & attributable about which you are, and what is in a drink, so it can save a lot of questioning and trouble if you all would mention please sources of your knowledge, and whether its info with vegan or vegetarian standards in mind yes?

Thankyou!!
#9 Old 06-29-2007, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

EVERYBODY: Please!! >>

When saying (or stating even!!) your suggestions of what you think you know, please bring

into the equation whether or not you are vegan or vegetarian, else a vegan

could think you are recommending something suited for a vegan perspective.....

Information becomes a bit circumspect to say the least IF you make no allusion/prophecii, about which your diet... by leaving out your own agenda and preferences, and tolerances/exceptions, to ingredients, ETC;; you therefore make hard the info we want tracable & attributable about which you are, and what is in a drink, so it can save a lot of questioning and trouble if you all would mention please sources of your knowledge, and whether its info with vegan or vegetarian standards in mind yes?

Thankyou!!
#10 Old 06-30-2007, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

hoegaarden is vegan and soooooo good
#11 Old 06-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoGrl View Post

Frey's is organic, sulfite free and vegan.

excuse my ignorance, please... but what is this?
#12 Old 07-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Beginner

what about wines though?
#13 Old 07-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatilian View Post

hoegaarden is vegan and soooooo good

You know, someone told me it was good and better than the beer I WANTED... and I was disappointed. I think that was probably the only reason I didn't like it.

I'll give it an honest shot later.
#14 Old 07-01-2007, 09:04 PM

Frey's Wine is sooo good...I got their Sangiovese 2004 & the Gewurtraminer 2005 and they were delicious!
#15 Old 07-02-2007, 04:50 PM

i found this page to be quite helpful. there is also a link to a very extensive list of vegan beers about halfway down the page. I just memorized a few vegan beers and always get those when i go out. hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page