Food, grocery stores, and a rant. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Beginner

An entire aisle of bread, and not a single thing I can eat. Why, why oh why, do they feel the need to put whey in bread? And mono and di-glycerides? And honey? WHY?!?

And yes, I know there are tons of vegan breads out there. They're just waaay more expensive than what I used to buy(I could get a loaf of bread for a dollar, and vegan bread is three), and I can only get them at the health food store, which I'm almost never able to go to.

It's like the whole boughten food industry is out to piss vegans off.

And now for the actual point of this thread: am I a horrible person for not always checking the sources of things that can be animal or plant derived? I feel so awkward going places with family. It's like, I can feel them all sending hate rays because I have such picky dietary needs. And I justify them to myself, I know what I'm doing is right and I know that I couldn't ever go back to my state of ignorant bliss where I ate anything, but it's just so freaking awkward. I don't mind checking for milk and eggs and meat. That's not that bad. But there's a million little things that get snuck into food without my permission. And it's even worse with family dinners, because I'm always afraid my grandma will put something in(accidentally, of course) that's not vegan and tell me it's okay to eat. This is really just a rant against the way of the world, but why does the world have to be so dependent on animals? Why do they have to put all these little things in otherwise safe products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Whaaaaat? You don't have "picky dietary needs"! You're a vegan! Your mindset has changed so fundamentally that eating something with animal products is unthinkable to you. Your family shouldn't be annoyed with you, they should be impressed and jealous of your dedication! (You even avoid mono and diglycerides - that's impressive. For the record, mono and diglycerides are only sometimes derived from animal sources - you should call or email your favourite bread company and ask where they get theirs.)

And yeah, I know how it feels to be in a world full of food with nothing to eat. It sucks, but man, living by your conviction feels so good. Keep on doing what you're doing - whether it feels like it or not, we are making a difference.
#3 Old 05-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Unfortunately I get - and feel - the same as you. I do not waver just because something 'may' not be from animal sources. Supposedly, that makes me an obsessed freak.

Anyway, I guess we have to live with it. *Sigh* ... Mass companies putting un-needed **** in our food.

EDIT:

My bro gave me seaweed. I didn't even think to read the package, but it has fish seasoning from bonnito and **** in it. Go figure! Now even sea veggie isn't safe. DAMNIT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

Whaaaaat? You don't have "picky dietary needs"! You're a vegan! Your mindset has changed so fundamentally that eating something with animal products is unthinkable to you. Your family shouldn't be annoyed with you, they should be impressed and jealous of your dedication! (You even avoid mono and diglycerides - that's impressive. For the record, mono and diglycerides are only sometimes derived from animal sources - you should call or email your favourite bread company and ask where they get theirs.)

And yeah, I know how it feels to be in a world full of food with nothing to eat. It sucks, but man, living by your conviction feels so good. Keep on doing what you're doing - whether it feels like it or not, we are making a difference.

I come from a family where liberal is a dirty word and dead animal is the main course of every family get-together. My mom is, or at least was, a vegan, but we haven't talked in ages, and my dad's side of the family is really big on meat.

And thanks for your kind words. After having a pretty crummy day, it's nice to hear from someone who knows where I'm coming from.
#5 Old 05-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

Unfortunately I get - and feel - the same as you. I do not waver just because something 'may' not be from animal sources. Supposedly, that makes me an obsessed freak.

Anyway, I guess we have to live with it. *Sigh* ... Mass companies putting un-needed **** in our food.

EDIT:

My bro gave me seaweed. I didn't even think to read the package, but it has fish seasoning from bonnito and **** in it. Go figure! Now even sea veggie isn't safe. DAMNIT!

It's ridiculous the things companies put in food. Why must they take a normally vegan thing and add some stupid animal ingredient to it?
#6 Old 05-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychochick3339 View Post

It's ridiculous the things companies put in food. Why must they take a normally vegan thing and add some stupid animal ingredient to it?

The world is out to get anyone that gives a damn, simply put. Silly world.

Stay strong sista! Keep doing what is right for you and what makes you feel good!

It makes you want to open a vegan restaurant/grocery chain, doesn't it?
#7 Old 05-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentamonkey View Post

The world is out to get anyone that gives a damn, simply put. Silly world.

Stay strong sista! Keep doing what is right for you and what makes you feel good!

It makes you want to open a vegan restaurant/grocery chain, doesn't it?

Yeah, totally. Even health food stores aren't totally safe anymore. I was in the line at my hfs and I'm prone to randomly grabbing things that are advertised there, and there was this lip balm. I figured, "hey, it's a hfs, I'm sure it's vegan." Got home and was looking at the wrapper. Beeswax. I wish I was old enough and had the money and business sense to open up a really great store where everything was safe for vegans and it wasn't outlandishly priced.
#8 Old 05-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychochick3339 View Post

Yeah, totally. Even health food stores aren't totally safe anymore. I was in the line at my hfs and I'm prone to randomly grabbing things that are advertised there, and there was this lip balm. I figured, "hey, it's a hfs, I'm sure it's vegan." Got home and was looking at the wrapper. Beeswax. I wish I was old enough and had the money and business sense to open up a really great store where everything was safe for vegans and it wasn't outlandishly priced.

I feel the same way. Especially about the price... Why is everything healthy/cruelty free so EXPENSIVE?
#9 Old 05-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentamonkey View Post

I feel the same way. Especially about the price... Why is everything healthy/cruelty free so EXPENSIVE?

You'd think it's cost more to have to live with yourself torturing innocent animals for other people's enjoyment.
#10 Old 05-23-2007, 06:23 AM

Come to England..vegan bread everywhere.

I swear, I wanted to sit down and cry and Whole Foods one day in the States - stupid honey was in everything.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 05-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Come to England..vegan bread everywhere.

I swear, I wanted to sit down and cry and Whole Foods one day in the States - stupid honey was in everything.

I don't know if they carry it at Whole Foods (not organic enough) but Arnold's is a major American brand that makes lots of vegan breads, and they're in most major supermarkets. I grew up on their rye bread, long before going veg, and I still buy it today. PBJ on rye is a staple of my diet.

--Fromper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page