How am I doing? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I was hoping that someone may tell me how I am doing on my college diet. The link below is a summary of what my day will be tomorrow, and the end results are usually the same.

(I get about 60 grams of protein, 30 grams of fat, and 1,800 calories on a normal day.)

http://sparkpeople.com/myspark/nutri...tByID=,%20TRUE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

you probably need more calories. more like 2200.
#3 Old 05-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll try to up my calorie intake, however that is sometimes a bit tough to do without feeling like a bloated mo'fo. (Not to mention my concerns of high - like overly high - fiber intake. On a given day, I am getting around 50-70 grams of fiber.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned

You could get more calories and not get bloated eating fruit on an empty stomach. Fruit is the healthiest food to eat. The site below has sources for this. Plus it is the best tasting food. Like strawberries, rasberries and blueberries. They are loaded with antioxidants. Avocado has lots of good fat. At least you are eating flaxseeds. You should not eat cereals or anything with added sugar. For more on the best diet see this site Healthy Diet. Also see this site, Natural Cures with Common Foods, to see the different foods that can help to prevent certain problems according to USDA.
#5 Old 05-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

It looks pretty good, I would recommend just throwing some more protein in your dinner. Some seitan/tempeh, more beans or even some cashews or something would up your calorie intake a bit.

(Also, a dinner is not a dinner to me without some beans or something )

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#6 Old 05-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

It looks pretty good, I would recommend just throwing some more protein in your dinner. Some seitan/tempeh, more beans or even some cashews or something would up your calorie intake a bit.

(Also, a dinner is not a dinner to me without some beans or something )

Well, I was going to add some lima beans or something, but as I said: Should I not be worried about my fiber intake? I mean, if I add anything else with much fiber to my day, I will be over two times the recommended daily value for fiber. I know it is good for you, but things can be bad in excess.
#7 Old 05-20-2007, 12:24 PM

wrt the calories...is your weight where you want it to be? 2200 would be a gaining diet for me, personally.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 05-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, how is your weight and lifestyle?

When I installed hardwood floors for a year (working 8-10 hr days), my food intake was about triple what it is now. My weight has been pretty constant though, and I felt good.

I'm usually interested in if I'm getting enough of everything, but I usually go more by what my body says, and I try to eat a wide variety.

I believe everything.
#9 Old 05-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

wrt the calories...is your weight where you want it to be? 2200 would be a gaining diet for me, personally.

that's because you are a (i'm guessing)late twenties/early thirties woman.

Aussy is a 18 year old guy.
#10 Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Soon to be nineteen!

But anyways, I feel - and I know people differ about this - that 1,800 is enough for me. I don't really restrict my calories. They just end up being whatever they end up. Sometimes I get 2,000 cals, sometimes I don't. I never go below 1,500 though. Often times, as I have mentioned, it is about 1,800.

Basically I was asking nutrition wise, but I do appreciate everyones concerns. As a recovering... dude that used to have an eating disorder, it is good to be reminded that I need to feed myself. (Luckily, I have this kick ass dorm neighbor. He is totally veg, and he gave me some vegan choco last night.)

Anyway, I will take the calorie advice into account. Any other advice?
#11 Old 05-20-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post

that's because you are a (i'm guessing)late twenties/early thirties woman.

Aussy is a 18 year old guy.

Oh Aussy, sorry. I thought you were a teen girl. Even in younger days, 2200 would've pudged me up, but you've got a Y chromosome to help you out. :P

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 05-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Banned

You do not need to worry about too many calories, but as mentioned on that site above, people eat too much protein which causes them to get heart attacks and strokes. You do not need to worry about too much fiber. That site has a quote about limiting protein by the American Heart Association.

You do not need to worry about getting too little calories either. Don't worry, be happy. Stress is worse for your health than anythng. The only proven way to live longer according to studies is reducing calories. In the 1970s all the health experts disagreed on many things but one thing they did agree on is the less you eat, the longer you live.

Many people in college get overwhelmed by stress. Read this short article to help minimize stress and help you be happier. What is Enlightenment This article might give you some ideas on writing assignments since it has information from top psychologists, medicine and the science of cosmology.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page