VeggieBoards banner

Who Is Vegan And Eats Oreos ???

4K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  Wolfie 
#1 ·
Hey Guys...

I noticed that people here that are vegan say that oreos are vegan..

I emailed the company to triple chek and they say they are not due to the trace of milk egg etc...

What do you guys do??

Still eat things that may contain......

Thanks.

#8 ·
Here you go guys..

What you think... I wanna eat them ... lol

Thank you for contacting the Kraft Foods website with your query.

Unfortunately our variety of Oreo products, including our Original Oreo

Cookies, are not suitable for a vegan diet however we can confirm the

following products are suitable for vegans:

Kraft Peanut Butter (Smooth, Crunchy, Super Crunchy)

French Classic Dressing

Balsamic Italian Dressing

Italian Classic Dressing

Free Balsamic Italian Dressing

Free French Dressing

Free French Herbs Dressing

Free Greek Dressing

Free Honey & Soy Dressing

Free Italian Dressing

Vegemite

We thank you for visiting our website and if you have any further queries

concerning our products please do not hesitate to contact the Kraft Advisory

Service on freecall 1800 033 275.

Kind regards

Barbara Meehan

KRAFT FOODS AUSTRALIA

Then I asked why and got this....

Hello,

The reason the Oreo products are not suitable for vegans is due to the trace

elements of dairy which may be in the product. Therefore, they do not

contain any unsuitable ingredients by direct addition, there may be a chance

of carryover.

Many thanks

Barbara

Thanks..

#10 ·
Kpickell.... Thats how I would look at it too... As there is not a direct ingredient that we do not eat...

I do believe the "may contain" lines are there for people who have allergies..

In case there was a slight trace...

Oh yeah I just saw the honey bit too...

Also the ingredients in the oreo there are a few there Im not sure on like the word flavouring....?? What would that be?>

But how do they get the cream filling in them??

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

And I suppose none of those dressings were bottled on the same machine as their Ranch Dressing. Maybe they clean that machine extra well.
Good point. It is rather odd that they consider those products vegan despite possible cross-contamination, but not the cookies.

VEGIHEAD, the ingredients in the filling are sugar and sugary goop.

ETA: Yes, I agree with you that something is still vegan if it contains the "may contain traces" allergen warning. There are some vegans who do avoid those products though, so it's up to you.

#19 ·
My local supermarket just started stocking Oreo brand cookies that are organic. Here's the ingredients list:

Organic wheat flour, organic evaporated cane sugar, palm oil, expeller-pressed oleic safflower oil, cocoa (processed with alkali), organic brown rice syrup, organic cornstarch, leavening (baking soda and/or calcium phosphate), sea salt, soy lecithin (emulsifier), organic vanilla extract.

It sounds vegan to me, but I think it's relatively new so I don't know how widely they're available yet.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

I'm still sitting on the fence on this point and have choosen both ways on different occasions. I don't like the idea of traces, so I quess I need to get off the fence and choose.
I feel tha same vegan joe.. Although I stll eat plain chips.. oreos etc that have "may contain"... So emmmm I dont know.. Its a hard one. as there are sooo many foods with may contain....

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanija View Post

My local supermarket just started stocking Oreo brand cookies that are organic. Here's the ingredients list:

Organic wheat flour, organic evaporated cane sugar, palm oil, expeller-pressed oleic safflower oil, cocoa (processed with alkali), organic brown rice syrup, organic cornstarch, leavening (baking soda and/or calcium phosphate), sea salt, soy lecithin (emulsifier), organic vanilla extract.

It sounds vegan to me, but I think it's relatively new so I don't know how widely they're available yet.
What is that alkali ingredient??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.