(article) Jamba Juice's "Non-Dairy Blend" Secret Ingredient? Milk. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if this is relavent to anyone here; I personally don't go to Jamba Juice. But I have to say, this is super shady!

http://consumerist.com/consumer/jamb...ist-249045.php

Jamba Juice says it won't tell you upfront the ingredients in its "non-dairy blend" because of "trade secrets," but perhaps the real secret is that it contains milk products...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

--
#3 Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Beginner

If Jamba juice is out- where is somewhere that one CAN get a good vegan smoothie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

i just emailed them.

i drank like 4 or 5 of these things while i was in hawaii. i never got sick but that's beside the point. if they reply i'll post what they say

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#5 Old 04-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nori_roll View Post

If Jamba juice is out- where is somewhere that one CAN get a good vegan smoothie?

Well around here, if you don't want jamba juice...hogi yogi has some great vegan smoothies....from what i remember they have several options where you don't have to get yogurt or anything in your drink. they just use juice or ice or something.
#6 Old 04-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Jamba juice now makes these all-fruit smoothies. No sorbet or frozen yogurt or non-dairy base. Just fruit juice, frozen fruit, and ice.
#7 Old 04-04-2007, 03:10 AM

Boo. I've enjoyed the all fruit smoothies before, but I wouldn't shop there again if this news turns out to true. Non-dairy, my ass.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#8 Old 04-04-2007, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Uhhhh...I work at Jamba Juice and there is no such thing as "non dairy blend". I don't know what that digital picture is of, but the product they are talking about in the article is called lower calorie dairy base. The ingredients listed in the article that Jamba reps emailed to the article's writer are the ingredients in the lower calorie dairy base. We use it in the Jamba Light smoothies which are clearly marked on the menu, and no other product on the menu contains it. And um, the real name is lower calorie DAIRY base, which sort of explicitly informs you that it is NOT vegan.

The digital picture says that the serving size of "Jamba Non-dairy 'Dairy'" is one Jamba scoop. Lower calorie dairy base is a liquid and comes in a carton which we pour into blenders. How could you possibly SCOOP a liquid?

My guess is that Non-dairy Blend is a powdered product that Jamba doesn't use anymore, and when the article writer emailed Jamba for the ingredients, the Jamba rep must have thought they were talking about the lower cal dairy base and sent them the ingredients to that.

At the store where I work, we have a 3 ring binder under the register with the ingredients of every single product on our menu clearly listed. That same binder also has a chart detailing what is vegan. Off the top of my head, the only non-vegan products we use in smoothies are low cal dairy base and all the sherbets. Any smoothie can easily be veganized by substituting soymilk and/or our plain sorbet. The All Fruit smoothies are already vegan.

#9 Old 04-04-2007, 03:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah. Here we go. Shineonyou, you posted the article from April 2nd...a new article came out on April 4th confirming exactly what I suspected- "Non-dairy Blend" is a product Jamba doesn't carry and there WAS indeed a mixup between the Non-dairy Blend and our lower calorie dairy base. Link to the new article is on the page you posted.
#10 Old 04-04-2007, 03:44 AM

Do you think the original poster is just full of BS then? I've not seen any "non-dairy blend", but it's been a long time (like a year) since I've been to JJ.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 04-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

If they really did that wouldnt they get sued by deathly allergic people?
#12 Old 04-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Pretty much all the juice smoothie places out there now will make you an all-fruit smoothie if you ask, and Jamba has a menu area speicifically for all-fruit smoothies.

It's probably not a good idea to purchase an item listed as "non-dairy" without verifying that it really is Parve anyway, since "non-dairy" creamers can contain casein.
#13 Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Do you think the original poster is just full of BS then? I've not seen any "non-dairy blend", but it's been a long time (like a year) since I've been to JJ.

I think it was probably just a misunderstanding, manipulation on the part of the blogger at worst. That page they photographed that says "Non-dairy 'dairy'" blend is part of something else, it's NOT a package label. I'm going to look for it in the binders and stuff at work and see if I can better understand how the misunderstanding occurred.
#14 Old 04-04-2007, 10:26 AM

Thanks for letting us know -- I have a nasty allergy to milk proteins so if I had tried their products unsuspectingly, it could have caused an expensive trip to the hospital! It's a shame that companies can't be reasonalby honest.
#15 Old 04-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

If they really did that wouldnt they get sued by deathly allergic people?

That's what I was thinking too. It's blatantly ridiculous to carry a product labeled non dairy of which the main ingredient is MILK, and then say the ingredients are a secret. I can't imagine any company doing that. Even if I didn't work for Jamba Juice, I would have suspected a misunderstanding here.
#16 Old 04-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapace View Post

Thanks for letting us know -- I have a nasty allergy to milk proteins so if I had tried their products unsuspectingly, it could have caused an expensive trip to the hospital! It's a shame that companies can't be reasonalby honest.

You should read the rest of this thread.
#17 Old 04-04-2007, 02:00 PM

*chuckle*

#18 Old 04-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I know this is dead now, but I just wanted to say I went through our ingredients handbook that is available to the public at work and looked for the words the blogger had taken a picture of. I found the exact page the picture was of- underneath the words "Non-Dairy 'Dairy'", it goes on to list the ingredients of our plain sorbet and soymilk, two VEGAN items. The blog photographer just conveniently left that out of their picture.

I guess even vegan activists can use selective censorship to manipulate someone into believing something.
#19 Old 04-15-2007, 04:06 AM

That's the picture on the link from the first page of this thread (the page you described above). I thought the mixup was from the call/calls to the customer service center.

#20 Old 04-15-2007, 04:30 AM
Veggie Regular

The impression I got was that the person who took the photo was trying to pose that picture as being of a package of product that contained the mystery "dairy non dairy blend", and the customer service call confirmed the ingredients of a product that the picture was NOT of.
#21 Old 04-15-2007, 08:21 AM
Banned

In plain english please.

Milk in Jamba Juice?

0 Yes

0 No
#22 Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrown View Post

You should read the rest of this thread.

Isn't it always 1000 times harder to correct false news once it's put out there?

I'd like to know where that sheet pictured is from (in the source link).
#23 Old 04-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrown View Post

I know this is dead now, but I just wanted to say I went through our ingredients handbook that is available to the public at work and looked for the words the blogger had taken a picture of. I found the exact page the picture was of- underneath the words "Non-Dairy 'Dairy'", it goes on to list the ingredients of our plain sorbet and soymilk, two VEGAN items. The blog photographer just conveniently left that out of their picture.

I guess even vegan activists can use selective censorship to manipulate someone into believing something.

I should read the thread. I actually see those headings in the blogger's picture now which confuses me more about why the blogger said what they did.
#24 Old 04-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Joe, Jamba Juice has a lot of different smoothies and they all have different ingredients. Some contain milk, some do not. ALL the ingredient lists are available to customers in the store.

Ugh, yes it is harder Frog. Even after the blogger corrected their rumor two days later, people were still commenting saying, "Oo, how 1984 of Jamba Juice" when the whole thing was really just a ridiculous misunderstanding blown WAY out of proportion.

Yeah I'm confused too as to why the blogger started the rumor when they clearly could tell that the page they photographed in no way pertained to their drink at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page