Embarrassing, gross question - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-23-2007, 12:45 PM

When you first became veg, did you experience diarrhea? If so, for how long did this last? What did you do to stop it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes. You're probably consuming a lot different foods now then you were before and your digestive track has not had time to become used to those things. It may be fiber from leafy greens or legumes. In most cases, your body will adapt to your diet with time. However, if you find that certain foods give you gas -- such as soy -- reduce the amount of it that you're eating.
#3 Old 03-23-2007, 01:04 PM

I didn't. I think it probably has something to do with the diet your were eating before. Even when I was an omni I ate a ton of vegetables and not much meat, so there wasn't a real drastic change in my eating habits. If you become a veg*n and you didn't used to eat a lot of veggies and fiber, you're probably going to experience more of a change in bathroom habits. Although this is all my own speculation, so I could be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I was actually the opposite. I experienced constipation. I think all that fiber was having to work extra hard to get all that other [email protected] outta there!
#5 Old 03-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

No. However, for an equally appalling answer, I used frequent enema treatments to cleanse my colon when I first went Vegan.

That's manly, right?....
#6 Old 03-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't notice a change when I went l/o, nor when I went vegan. Actually I had a slightly upset tummy for a few days about a week after I went vegan, but no bathroom issues.
#7 Old 03-23-2007, 05:55 PM

I can't remember what it was like when I became vegetarian because it was over seven years ago. However, when I became a Vegan a few months ago I had bowel cramps for a few days and I was going to the toilet more often. This was most likely connected with the increased amount of fibre I was consuming.
#8 Old 03-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't think it's an embarrassing question!

I don't remember noticing a change in my bowels when I went vegetarian or vegan, but that was a long time ago... plus I weened off foods, so my body didn't have a shock to having a major change in my diet. It's most likely just your body adjusting. However, if it's chronic or lasts for an unusual amount of time definitely go to the doc just to be sure.
#9 Old 03-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Banned

Did anybody say FART.
#10 Old 03-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't remember anyone saying 'fart'. Probably because the technical - and more mature form - of the word is flatulence. Quite frankly, 'fart' just sounds gross. Kids do like the word, however.
#11 Old 03-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

IProbably because the technical - and more mature form - of the word is flatulence.

Not to worry someday you'll grow up, and thing like this won't bother you anymore.
#12 Old 03-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

Not to worry someday you'll grow up, and thing like this won't bother you anymore.

That is the problem: I grew up.

Listen, it wasn't so much your use of a 'questionable' term that got to me, it was that it had very little to do with the thread in the context that it was used. To me - it seemed as if you just wanted to get your name on a post. Quite frankly, I couldn't care either way. However, you could have just as easily got your point across by saying:

No, but I had GAS
#13 Old 03-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

'questionable' term

I was just trying to add a little levity to a serious situation. Here in the good old USA "fart" is an exceptible term. When people lke at work are standing around the question used is: Who Farted? Not who flatoed? Sorry for not meeting your standards.I nteresting it is though that you just didn't leave it alone. But GAS is a definite problem when one first changes to a diet high in legumes and fiber, until one's body adjusts by changing the flora in one's gut(or should it be intestinal tract?
#14 Old 03-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I had pretty, ok, really, really bad gas when I went l/o.

I did get some papaya digestive enzymes at the HFS that really helped, but the whole thing went away after about 3 weeks or so.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#15 Old 03-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Beginner

ok im having this problem too. i feel so sick my stomach is so unsettled and bad gas im having toilet troubles too and every musle in my torso just aches constantly especially when i breathe which is often! lol neway couldnt go to school today its so bad i feeel ike throwing up, what can i do about it!
#16 Old 03-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

Did anybody say FART.

Hehehe, fart :giggles:

I experienced looser stool and much more flatulence when I first went veg. But I rather enjoyed torturing my fellow adults with my farts My stool still is a different consistency from my pre-veg days, but it firmed up a lot since I first went veg. The farting also settled down a bit, much to my dismay.
#17 Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

does anybody get gas when they eat a lot of garlic? dam that stuff is brutal.
#18 Old 03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

To the original poster: actually, I think I had more of a problem when I first started cutting back on dairy, and then added it back in- I think I lost my tolerance for large amounts of it.

But Vegan Joe nailed it: flatulence is more of a problem. (Too much info, I know). Actually, I've been vegetarian for so long, I don't even remember if this was less of a problem when I was omni.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#19 Old 03-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Yes. You're probably consuming a lot different foods now then you were before and your digestive track has not had time to become used to those things. It may be fiber from leafy greens or legumes. In most cases, your body will adapt to your diet with time. However, if you find that certain foods give you gas -- such as soy -- reduce the amount of it that you're eating.

I agree.

But.

You may be intolerant to one of the foods that you are eating more of, or more frequentley. I am lactose intolerant, so when I went vegan my digestive system experienced a relief like no other. I can't tell you the few times before that when I would drink a large glass of milk... And I could never figure it out until about a week or so before I went vegan.

Yeah. Sorry about ranting about myself for so long.

Back to you.

You may be intolerant to one of the foods that you are eating and experiencing symptoms. If things don't clear up shortly, you might want to a) take a closer look at your diet or b) check with your doctor to see if this is a food intolerence or just your body reacting to the sudden increase in fiber intake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page