Any proven vegan pastas? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-22-2007, 02:15 PM

Are there any proven vegan pastas? I know you can buy some online, but I'm looking for the cheap variety available at common grocery store chains (i.e. Ralphs, Alberstons, Vons, Trader Joe's)?

None of the vegans I know eat pasta. I've read the ingredient list and a lot of the pastas don't seem to contain any animal ingredients, but I'm wary of them because I don't see any vegans eating pasta ever. I miss Italian food and would love know if there are any proven vegan pastas.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Most supermarket brand pastas don't have animal products. Many contain only semolina or duram wheat (I might have spelled the last one wrong). The only ones you should watch out for are the packaged "fresh" pasta in the refrigerated section, which are usually made with eggs.

I'm a vegan, and I eat pasta all the time. Have at 'er!
#3 Old 03-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Most dried pastas don't contain animal ingredients. Maybe your vegan friends just don't like pasta?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Beginner

it could be that your vegan friends are health conscious, or are watching their carbohydrate intake, which would explain the pasta deal. however, there are so many vegan pastas, as most are, except for some enriched pastas like the barilla kind in a yellow box. the only thing to watch for is likely egg.
#5 Old 03-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm damn near close to vegan, and I eat pasta all the time.
#6 Old 03-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Most dry pasta is vegan. Just check the labels.

Egg is often used in the packaged fresh pasta, and in some restaurant pastas. It may be the fact that pasta at restaurants are unreliably vegan that caused your friends to avoid pasta altogether.
#7 Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

Most supermarket brand pastas don't have animal products. Many contain only semolina or duram wheat (I might have spelled the last one wrong). The only ones you should watch out for are the packaged "fresh" pasta in the refrigerated section, which are usually made with eggs.

I'm a vegan, and I eat pasta all the time. Have at 'er!

Yarr i live off pasta!
#8 Old 03-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Medesha is right, most fresh pasta's (the ones that go in the fridge) are made with egg. I don't think I've ever seen a dried pasta that wasn't vegan. I get my pasta from Trader Joe's because it's very inexpensive and delicious! Angel hair is my fav... I have enough in my pantry to feed everyone here on the VB's for weeks!
#9 Old 03-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I have seen plenty of dried, packaged pasta that contained eggs (and not just egg noodles), but don't let that scare you away from eating pasta.

I've found that it's usually the fancier gourmet brands that may contain eggs. Just check the label.
#10 Old 03-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

Just check the label.

That is definitely the answer. I just finished eating some garlicy fettucine alfredo last night made from cashews. Yum!
#11 Old 03-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

what they all said. All of the dried pasat I have seen says "ingredients: 100% durum wheat"
#12 Old 03-23-2007, 11:09 AM

Thank everyone! Appreciate all the info.
#13 Old 03-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Baby Love

A regularly stocked brand to look for is Hodgson Mills. Most of the supermarket chains I've shopped at carry their pasta ... as well as flours and such.

http://www.hodgsonmill.com/
#14 Old 03-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I second Hodgson Mills. They have yummy whole-wheat pasta as well, if I am not mistaken?
#15 Old 03-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Baby Love

Yup, Aussyj, their whole wheat pasta is great. I always have a stockpile in my cupboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page