The Fold of an Empty Wallet; The Crease of a Troubled Concience. - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 03-27-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

Well ladies and gentlemen, Purdue has changed their policy. Now I HAVE to get a meal plan. Instead of budgeting, I have the only choice of 4,000 dollars a semester or more for salads everyday!

I am taking that advice. The minute I get on campus, I am going to find out what I can do to get more choices available to me! This is a little ridiculous, I believe.

While you have to get a meal plan, try getting the lowest one possible.

Also, at my school anyway, the meal plan extends to the coffee shops,

"convenience stores", and food courts. As a result, there have been plenty of options for me. Look into that with your plan!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 03-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well ladies and gentlemen, Purdue has changed their policy. Now I HAVE to get a meal plan. Instead of budgeting, I have the only choice of 4,000 dollars a semester or more for salads everyday!

Wow, you have to pay so much to attend college/university in the US, and then they dont even offer veg*n meal options?! $4000 a semester just for canteen meals (if I get the meal plan thing right) also sounds terribly overpriced. Then again, Im already shocked by the fact that all students actually are required to live on campus / in a dorm (contrary to what I heard from people who went to school in the US/Canada some years ago), let alone being forced to buy the food the uni sells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

If it's a medical reason or against your religion (Buddhist, Jewish, Seventh-Day Adventist, others...) you can get an exemption.

So obviously the fact that it is only against someones ethical beliefs to consume meat/dairy/eggs does not count? Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

You MIGHT be able to convince them that your diet would be dangerously jeopardized (you'd starve) because of the lack of choices... maybe if you HAVE to have this meal plan you can start some change in the system so others, as well as yourself, can start to get some vegan options.

Agreed, you definitely should INSIST that for that kind of money, you have a right to get what you need, actually what you want even you are their customer/client! Soymilk (or other non-dairy milk) instead of dairy should go without saying, since not even every omnivore can have dairy, due to allergies/intolerances And also, its not like youre the first or only vegan. Speak up for your needs or rather for your rights! Success!
#63 Old 03-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

The point is not so much that they have a lack of options, but they are not the kind of options that are considered one-hundred percent nutritious. They have a salad bar, and about twice a week - according to my brother - they will be lucky enough to put out a vegan burger alternative or something. They have soymilk, but it is sort of a first-come first-serve thing. Don't get me wrong - the convenience of it is nice - but if I were able to get my own groceries it would be a lot better and a whole hell of a lot cheaper.

Anyway, I contacted the head of housing. I told him about my problem (even tried to up my chances by telling him that I was a raw vegan), and he informed me to cancel my current contract and either live off of campus, or choose one of the apartment buildings. Those don't require meal plans, but the apartment buildings are on campus and suit three people with one bedroom. How they do it - I have no idea. I may just have to live with being crowded with some strangers. It might even be good for me, seeing as I am not too social at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Eh, I had four roomies in a two bedroom apt. in college. We were very cozy, to be sure. But 20 years later, those people are still some of my dearest friends... funny how things work.
#65 Old 03-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Anyway, I contacted the head of housing. I told him about my problem (even tried to up my chances by telling him that I was a raw vegan), and he informed me to cancel my current contract and either live off of campus, or choose one of the apartment buildings. Those don't require meal plans, but the apartment buildings are on campus and suit three people with one bedroom. How they do it - I have no idea. I may just have to live with being crowded with some strangers. It might even be good for me, seeing as I am not too social at the moment.

Would they have to be total strangers in the apartment? Between now and the time you have to make a housing decision and actually move in, if there were just 2 other veg*n students looking for non-dorm housing for the same reason you are, I would see that as a 3-person co-op buying strategy. More people, more money, lower individual cost, more food. "Housing wanted" board on Craigslist might turn up some possibilities.

Keep on freepin' on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page