Organic Milk - Free range/organic eggs - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-11-2007, 04:25 AM

Okay so im thinking about becoming vegan and i was talking to my mum about the fact that consuming dairy products is supporting the veal industry and about the terrible conditions of chickens (both that lay eggs and that are slaughtered) etc.

She was then saying that for herself she will start buying organic milk and we already buy free range organic eggs anyway -

I was saying its the whole principal of using the animals for milk and eggs anyway-

but i was wondering what is the difference/if there is infact a significant difference between organic milk (apart from the milk itself ) , free range chickens. etc..im talk more about the conditions that the animals are in.

thank you!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

the animals might be treated a little better, but here's what stays the same as with conventional dairy and eggs:

BOTH

* The animals will still be killed and sold as cheap meat long before their normal life expectancy

* They are still considered "commodities" for human use

* The term "organic" has absolutely NOTHING to do with animal welfare. It is exclusively concerned with human health, and dictates that the animals be fed a specific kind of organic feed, and limits the use of medications and anti-biotics (which are commonly used in conventional farming applications).

COWS

* The female cows are still forcefully impregnanted

* They will still have their babies taken away from them after hours or days. For many female cows this is a very painful experience, and they often yearn for their babies

* It is likely the boy babies will killed for veal at a very young age. They will be deprived of their mother's milk and fed fluids that will prevent them from developing muscle tone etc.

* If they aren't, or if they're female, they'll be killed before long anyway as cheap meat or re-enter the cycle as new milk producers.

CHICKENS

* Only female chickens (hens) lay eggs. Therefore whenever a group of chickens are hatched, only about 50% of the chickens born are useful for that purpose. Standard industry practise is to kill the male chicks immediately, often by crushing, suffocating or gassing them. This cannot be avoided in any commercial operation. Even if you have a friend who has a few hens who are treated like pets, you have to ask, "Where are their brothers?"

* "Free range" actually doesn't mean a whole lot in most commercial operations. From the Toronto Vegetarian Association's web site, veg.ca: Generally speaking, free-range eggs come from chickens who have some access to the outside, but how much access? The U.S. regulates the use of the term on chicken but not on eggs, and doesn't stipulate how much outdoor time is required. Canada regulates neither. No other criteria, such as environmental quality, size of the outside area, number of birds, or space per bird, are included in this term. Typically, free-range hens are debeaked at the hatchery, and have only 1 to 2 square feet of floor space per bird. The birds may or may not have litter and access to nests and perches.

* The egg-laying hens generally live a significantly shortened life, and are killed and sold as cheap meat when their productivity declines.
#3 Old 03-11-2007, 06:48 AM

THANK-YOU

i will show my mum!!!

how long have you been vegan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan about two years and a bit, vegetarian for nearly five.
#5 Old 03-11-2007, 09:21 AM

There are some sources on this thread, related to chickens:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=68399
#6 Old 03-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I noticed that you're an aussie In addition to what you read here, it's worth doing your own research on this from an Australian perspective because our regulations and conditions differ somewhat from the U.S.

m8itcanw8.com
#7 Old 03-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Not that Canada is Australia, but I wasn't talking about the U.S. either. And if you just look at what's required to "make" these products, the same principles can be applied to any country. Regulations just mean maybe there's one less indignity that the animal faces out of many.
#8 Old 03-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Beginner

Pauls Parmalat' make an organic milk you can get at Coles and Woolies and they claim that not only do they use organic farming practices but that their cows are looked after. To what extent I'm not sure however living with omni's I have no choice but to buy milk for them so I buy that one whenever I can. Jalna (for yoghurt) also make claims their cows are happy, but again I do not know to what extent. What it boils down to is what people have said above, that the babies are still ultimately removed from their mothers in order to use the milk for human consumption, I don't think males are sold for the veal industry but they are eventually sold if not used for breeding purposes.

Chickens we also buy free range. There's a website: http://www.freerangecanberra.org/ that has info and dinners and stuff. Apparantly PACE farms has a huge cage factory out near McGregor they are trying to get shut down before they buy new cages (which means they will be operating cage farming for another 10 years minimum)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page