Vegan Guys? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi, im a 25 year old vegan male and realized that i have not met any other vegan guys...ever.

I was wondering if there are any vegan men here, and how you find being a very small minority of a small minority of people.

Also, Im dating a omni girl and wonder how your experiences are with dating or marrying woman that are omni, while you are a vegan.

Id like to hear of your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

There are definitely plenty of us here on VB.

I haven't dated an omni since going vegan. Sorry.

If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them. Otherwise welcome to VB!
#3 Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't met very many vegan guys, either. :/ I know they exist, just not near me.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

My bf is vegan. I have dated a few veggie guys. I have met lots of vegan men. If you want to meet more guys that are vegan, try going to local veggie potlucks or join the local veggie meetup www.meetup.com in your area. That is the way I meet all the vegan men I know including my bf.
#5 Old 03-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

i am not vegan, but im almost there! lol. 20 years old. my girlfriend is a veg also
#6 Old 03-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

p.s ive been with my gf since i was 16 and she became veg shortly after i did. so i guess i lucked out in that area.
#7 Old 03-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

married to a veggie. it seems veg men are in high demand
#8 Old 03-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree that vegan men are in high demand. I dated one a few months ago, but our personalities didn't "mesh," so that's over. I don't know about dating omnis either, I think I would find it extremely difficult and frustrating. I hope to meet a vegan man who shares my ethical concern for animals as well as many other values and interests....Hopefully it will happen one day. I'd even like to meet some vegan women to be able to have girls' vegan days out
#9 Old 03-01-2007, 02:04 PM

I don't know any other vegans, but out of the 7 or so vegetarians I know, 5 are guys. Unfortunately they're all either taken or too young for me and just not right for me in general. Veg guys definitely are in high demand.
#10 Old 03-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

I haven't met very many vegan guys, either. :/ I know they exist, just not near me.

Same here.
#11 Old 03-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a vegan guy. Luckily my gf (now fiance!!) converted to veganism shortly after we began dating. She was a vegetarian for 15 years before that.

To answer your question it can be difficult being a male vegan in society. I have no male friends who are also vegan but luckily my core group of friends are very supportive. Things get more tough when I travel for work. I typically go to smaller towns and dining options are slim. Somehow I've survived.
#12 Old 03-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Beginner

vegan guy here to. Thankfully my partner is vegan but most vegans I know are women.
#13 Old 03-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

One guy in my grade was a vegan for the summer. Now he's vegetarian. The only boy vegetarian in our grade.
#14 Old 03-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Veg guys are in demand? .... Well, I am free, ladies! I can't stress that enough. If you are cool with a bum that is in the process of job-hunting and living with his mom, then... Let's get it on! AWWWW --- Suga.... Let's get it on! ....

.... I, of course, mean lets bake something.
#15 Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I know lots of vegan guys, but my social circle is comprised of mostly vegans.
#16 Old 03-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a complete vegan but I am 230% male, the kind of guy that makes all the hunks at the steel mill look effeminate.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#17 Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I'm not a complete vegan but I am 230% male, the kind of guy that makes all the hunks at the steel mill look effeminate.

what a man, what a man, what a man, what a mighty good man, yes he is.

#18 Old 03-01-2007, 04:06 PM

I am a vegan male

I am also:

Incredibly good looking

Incredibly intelligent

Incredibly talented

(Well, it's what I tell myself every day that I wake up. The doctors make me. In reality, I'm pathetic at everything)
#19 Old 03-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

im a vegan guy
#20 Old 03-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a vegan male.

I dated a girl for 5 years that ate the flesh of beasts. ( I've been vegetarian 8 years, vegan 1)

Things were great with her - mostly. We had our minor problems, but nothing huge, we didn't fight much, our personalities matched evenly, things were pretty good most of the time. We were practically engaged.

But there were always certain things that caused me to doubt our future together. And several reasons we broke up. Namely, and one of the largest on my side, was that she isn't vegan. I know I want to raise my future children vegan, I want to live and love with a vegan. She obviously didn't.

There is only so long you can hope a person will change until you realize that you cannot expect people to change.

We broke up a year ago, and we still talk once a month for a couple hours. It was a mutual break, and we still care for each other as friends - no people really know us like we do each other - but we know it could never work out between us (there were things besides the veganism as well).

I didn't just lose my girlfriend, I lost my best friend.

I don't see myself dating a non-vegan girl again. Don't think I would like to sit next to someone I love on that level again while they indulge on the flesh of beasts.

Others could, and many do.

Blessings be with your relationships.
#21 Old 03-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

20 year old vegan here

I've only met one other male in real life who considers himself vegan, but even he eats honey and doesn't mind small amounts of animal products in his food.

...yeah...

lol
#22 Old 03-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a vegan male. Besides the people that I went vegan with, I haven't met any vegans.... ever! So it doesn't surprise me that you haven't met any vegan men.
#23 Old 03-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not vegan, but close. I know of one other vegan guy, but I only see him like once a year. I have one vegetarian male friend but he is in a different city.

And I'm sorry, but I'm not feeling this demand everyone's talking about... maybe it's because I'm not vegan enough...
#24 Old 03-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_veg View Post

I'm not vegan, but close. I know of one other vegan guy, but I only see him like once a year. I have one vegetarian male friend but he is in a different city.

And I'm sorry, but I'm not feeling this demand everyone's talking about... maybe it's because I'm not vegan enough...

Yeah, I think that's my problem, too. I'm a vegetarian, and I don't buy eggs, honey, or dairy products, but I don't read the ingredients of everything I buy to make sure it's 100% vegan, so I'm not a REAL vegan. Do you think if I spent an extra half hour grocery shopping to read ingredient labels, women would like me more?

--Fromper

#25 Old 03-02-2007, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I certainly feel closer to my husband since he finally made the switch from relatively minimal LO vegetarian to vegan.
#26 Old 03-02-2007, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

i sometimes find it hard personally to deal with the fact that my gf is an omni. The issue is that i love her like i have never loved anyone before, but her total stuberness to even consider going veg (even though i never asked) is a bit of a barrier. We spoke about the issues and she understands them, but is too traditionalist (believes like the rest of society) to change her ways. i wish for nothing else but for her to switch to at least a vegetarian. That would make me unimaginably happy.
#27 Old 03-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh... And appearently I am in another minority group (at least in America) as well. I am also an Atheist. That adds to the following list! I am:

- Vegan

- A Non-Smoker

- Atheist

- Bum

- Long Haired (still growing)

- Single

- Caring

- Sensitive

- Activist-ist
#28 Old 03-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vio1 View Post

i sometimes find it hard personally to deal with the fact that my gf is an omni. The issue is that i love her like i have never loved anyone before, but her total stuberness to even consider going veg (even though i never asked) is a bit of a barrier. We spoke about the issues and she understands them, but is too traditionalist (believes like the rest of society) to change her ways. i wish for nothing else but for her to switch to at least a vegetarian. That would make me unimaginably happy.

I can totally understand where you're coming from when you say this. However, I think it's important to consider and understand that just because you are vegan and have chosen a compassionate, cruelty-free lifestyle doesn't mean she has or will. If you do love her, you should love and accept her for who she is and her choices in her life. She is who she is, just as you are who you are.

If she theoretically did change just because you want her to, and she wasn't happy with the changes there's a high probability that she'd be resentful towards you for it.

However, if she made the change out of her own desire-

A voluntary, informed and conscious choice...that's what would make the difference.

Give her time and the freedom to be herself and make her own choices.

She may decide to go vegan or vegetarian or even cut down on her own meat consumption, any of which would be an improvement and cut down on the amount of animals suffering in this world.

If nothing happens at all, at least you've found love with another person.

And that's one of the most wonderful things there is.

#29 Old 03-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

there are noooo vegan's around where i live! well... i know 2 actually. a married couple. there's groups about an hour away, but they all seem to be university groups.

i just broke up with an omni. i'm not sure about dating one again, i probably would just because i dont want to be alone for the rest of my life, but another vegan would be awesome
#30 Old 03-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I can totally understand where you're coming from when you say this. However, I think it's important to consider and understand that just because you are vegan and have chosen a compassionate, cruelty-free lifestyle doesn't mean she has or will. If you do love her, you should love and accept her for who she is and her choices in her life. She is who she is, just as you are who you are.

If she theoretically did change just because you want her to, and she wasn't happy with the changes there's a high probability that she'd be resentful towards you for it.

However, if she made the change out of her own desire-

A voluntary, informed and conscious choice...that's what would make the difference.

Give her time and the freedom to be herself and make her own choices.

She may decide to go vegan or vegetarian or even cut down on her own meat consumption, any of which would be an improvement and cut down on the amount of animals suffering in this world.

If nothing happens at all, at least you've found love with another person.

And that's one of the most wonderful things there is.

You are right...

I have already come to the conclusion that i will a rolemodel instead of someone who judges her. I will show her through my actions what i believe, and maybe one day she will see the light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page