INPUT : Best Vegan cookbook? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

So, I know that I have most likely asked this curious and totally random question before, but what Vegan cookbook can you all most likely agree upon that can be voted the absolute best?.... If that makes any sense.... Hmmm....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I have Vegan With A Vengeance. I like it. ^_^
#3 Old 02-25-2007, 03:48 AM
Banned

Everybody has different tastes. What tastes good to me may not taste good to you and visa versa. That's why there is no such thing as the best vegan cookbook, its like asking what is the best colour. Its up to the individual.

That said, of the dozens and dozens of vegetarian cookbooks I have (I collect them) by far the one I use the most is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Nonnas-Italian...e=UTF8&s=books
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-25-2007, 03:54 AM
Veggie Regular

It seems to me that anything by Bryanna Clark Grogan will be good...the woman is a genius.

I also like: The Vegetarian Family Cookbook - Nava Atlas

The New Vegan - Janet Hudson

Vegan Family Favorites - Erin Pavlina

Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker - Robin Robertson
#5 Old 02-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I like Vegan With A Vengeance and The Vegan Lunchbox
#6 Old 02-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah yes: The Vegan Lunchbox. Does anyone else recommend Jennifers book?
#7 Old 02-25-2007, 02:57 PM

i'd say la dolce vegan! by sarah kramer is the best cookbook i've used. the recipes are easy, simply, delicious, and totally awesome. plus, sarah is pretty funny. and there's a picture of her with vanilla ice...which is just amazing. this is definitely a good book for soups and ways to make seitan at home.
#8 Old 02-25-2007, 07:17 PM

VEGAN WITH A VENGEANCE, without a doubt.

Just look at the 5 star rating and read the reviews at amazon.com
#9 Old 02-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan with a vengeance for me too!
#10 Old 02-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

My favorite vegan cookbook is probably the garden of vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. I find it pretty comprehencive, simple and to me it will always have a special place in my heart as it's 'the book that turned me vegan' . I have vegan with a vengeance and to be honest i don't see why everyone raves about it. It's a nice book to sit and read and i love Isas attitude to cooking and food but i have never really been inspired too cook from it. I find it has too many airy fairy ingredients, which you could probably substitutie but the recipes seem complicated and as someone who has an anability to follow a recipe with even 3 ingredients ones with 18 are a major turn off. As for other books i do actually like, i'd have to say Rose Elliots vegan feats is a nice simple cookbook. Well laid out and contains some of those basic recipes i don't seem to find elsewhere, though it is very British. For a good value for money first cookbook i'd say Leah Lenemans easy vegan cooking is great. Though majorly complicated in it's layout but it has hundreds of recipes and ideas and explanations for ingredients etc. Which imo is part of what makes a cookbook good. Seeing as i rarely ever use recipes i just sit and read the books for ideas and inspriation it has to be readable and interesting. Also I have to mention sinfully vegan. Any book that devotes itself to vegan deserts has to be good .

I have actually yet to find a vegan cookbook i deem to be great. One that has a pure passion for food and ingredients, lots of talking, well laid out, hard wearing and with pretty pictures. Anyone know of one?
#11 Old 02-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Vive le vegan by Dreena Burton is a good one, and I also use Fresh at Home by Ruth Brown a lot. You can see what kinds of recipes are in it by looking inside the book on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-at-Home-...e=UTF8&s=books
#12 Old 02-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank you all for all of your input!

I currently do have The Garden of Vegan, but I only occasionally use it. It is not that the book is not good - (it is great) - but I like variety, and I have tried almost all of the recipes in it.

I guess I will check out Amazon. Thanks!
#13 Old 02-27-2007, 12:20 AM

I can't say for sure what I think the best one would be, but The Best Pumpkin Muffins recipe is in Vegan With a Vengeance and that recipe alone is a good reason to purchase it.

Of course...that recipe did used to be up on Post Punk Kitchen for a while, but I havn't seen it. Good luck finding the perfect cookbook!
#14 Old 02-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone tried the Uncheese book? I am seriously considering purchasing it... If it is worth it.
#15 Old 02-27-2007, 09:43 AM

...is my fave of all time. The only recipes in it that were not super-impressive were the Chickpea-Broccoli Casserole (and she acknowledges that it's bland comfort food) and the basic pancakes. Everything else rocks!

I often make her recipes a little healthier by cutting down on the oil (she uses a lot) and by steaming instead of frying, etc. There's also a page in there about using applesauce or pureed prunes to cut way back on oil calories in baked goods, and I have made several of her muffin recipes with applesauce, including the aforementioned Best Pumpkin Muffins-had two for breakfast today! They are incredible.

I also like Real Food Daily, though it is more complicated and has more specialty ingredients than VWAV.

VWAV absolute kick-ass recipes:

Ginger-Macademia-Coconut-Carrot Cake with Coconut frosting

Coconut Heaven Cupcakes

Pumpkin Muffins & Apple Pie-Crumb Cake Muffins

Scrambled Tofu

Breakfast Veggie Chorizo (I use 1 tbsp oil, not 2)

Green Goddess Pizza (I use store-bought crust and pizza sauce)

Fettucine Alfreda

Pumpkin Seed-Crusted Tofu

Happy Cooking!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page