need some links that are NON-AR - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm working on a story about plant based diets and the environment.

I'd like to include some links that spell out how one can adopt more plant foods into their diets. HOWEVER it is essential that they NOT be connected with peta or other AW/AR organizations. They should be health or environment-related. This is not negotiable.

I'm drawing a blank... can anyone suggest anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.earthsave.org
#3 Old 01-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I'm working on a story about plant based diets and the environment.

I'd like to include some links that spell out how one can adopt more plant foods into their diets. HOWEVER it is essential that they NOT be connected with peta or other AW/AR organizations. They should be health or environment-related. This is not negotiable.

I'm drawing a blank... can anyone suggest anything?

This should be good for Plant Based Diets and the Environment:

John Robbins website

www.foodrevolution.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually interviewed John Robbins for the story. Anything that's NOT John Robbins?
#5 Old 01-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

#6 Old 01-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

#7 Old 01-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

United Nations FAO

http://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/...448/index.html

Get the whole report.

Keep on freepin' on

#8 Old 01-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular

haha, yeah I use the FAO report heavily in the story. I fully cover the WHYS.

Basically at the end of the article I want to say, if you want more information about how to incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet, please see these web sites. Because you can tell someone that they should eat more vegetarian foods, but most of them won't know where to start.

And since this will be appearing in a major daily metro, I need to be VERY careful where I'm linking people to. It could cause problems for me.
#9 Old 01-24-2007, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Basically at the end of the article I want to say, if you want more information about how to incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet, please see these web sites. Because you can tell someone that they should eat more vegetarian foods, but most of them won't know where to start.

What about something like the PCRM Vegetarian Starter Kit?

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/index.html

I don't know if recipe site would give enough educational help, but when I was just starting out, I would have eagerly browsed through a list of vegetarian recipes. Here's two of them that take you into the vegetarian sections of sites people are already pretty familiar with.

vegetarian.allrecipes.com

vegetarian.recipezaar.com

I'd love to read your article, if you want to share. It sounds like it would be very interesting and probably the type of thing I could pass on to some friends.
#10 Old 01-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Beginner

Quote:

haha, yeah I use the FAO report heavily in the story. I fully cover the WHYS.

And since this will be appearing in a major daily metro, I need to be VERY careful where I'm linking people to. It could cause problems for me.

You could put in links to the major recipe database websites:

www.fatfreevegan.com

www.fatfree.com

Fat Free Vegan has a lot of good info about different plant based diets, as well as info on various cooking techniques and substitutions.
#11 Old 01-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

i don't know if this helps it mainly is about how healthy plant foods are sorry http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fruits.html also the rolling stone article Boss Hog talks about the how polluting smithfield farms are......I think there is a link to it somewhere on the board.
#12 Old 01-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Here's the "Recipes" section of my old, defunct website:

http://web.archive.org/web/200504200...save.org/#SEC3

You can check through which links still work.

I am not 100 percent sure what you mean by not AR/AW related. For example, I have several links to PCRM. I think they are a good source of information. Yet they are rumored to be funded by PETA and to have ties to PETA. But how deep does one have to look to find these things? If an investigative journalist would take a month to dig out the connections, does that make them "connected"?

The leading vegetarian and vegan societies are British or at least HQed in Britain. But I don't know whether they would be considered too far afield for you to cite their websites.
#13 Old 01-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Here's the "Recipes" section of my old, defunct website:

http://web.archive.org/web/200504200...save.org/#SEC3

You can check through which links still work.

I am not 100 percent sure what you mean by not AR/AW related. For example, I have several links to PCRM. I think they are a good source of information. Yet they are rumored to be funded by PETA and to have ties to PETA. But how deep does one have to look to find these things? If an investigative journalist would take a month to dig out the connections, does that make them "connected"?

The leading vegetarian and vegan societies are British or at least HQed in Britain. But I don't know whether they would be considered too far afield for you to cite their websites.

PCRM is wonderful, however, there has been a tremendous amount of rumor and intrigue surrounding them due to how they took such a strong stance against the Atkins diet, and even had a whole separate anti-Atkins website. The full fury of the Atkins empire was unleashed upon them, and there was a whole lot of angry vegan bashing that went on, accusing PCRM members of basically being radical extremist vegetarian animal rights nutcases, and they were quite public about. It was also widely publicized when Atkins died that the Medical Examiners report fell into the hands of a PCRM member physician, who spilled the beans about details of Atkins death. Atkins widow, who was quite visible in the press had nothing kind to say about the PCRM, and tried to come off as 'victimized' by an evil organization.

PCRM has done great work in the U.S. with putting an end to animal experimentation in the Medical School labs, however, they clearly have an A/R bent. They teach people how to implement a healthy vegetarian diet, and even teach public cooking classes where cancer survivors and their families learn how to optimize their diet in order to prevent and reverse cancer. They are a wonderful organization, but they do take a strong animal rights stance.

Claudia
#14 Old 01-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

http://www.smallplanetinstitute.org/

This is a site managed by Frances Moore Lappe and her daughter, apparently. She's the author of the classic "Diet For A Small Planet" and its sequel. Neither the original book or the sequel were vegan, and in both books she said that she believes that grazing animals can play a part in human nutrition by producing meat on land which is unsuitable for cultivation; but she still maintained that animal agriculture as it is usually practiced is wasteful and environmentally destructive.

Her main thrust is definitely environmental, but in the more recent book she said that she feels better when she abstains from eating meat.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#15 Old 01-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope this is before deadline, but how about the five a day Web site?

http://www.5aday.com/

no worries of calls of bias (and man, do readers see the weirdest bias that isn't there).
#16 Old 02-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

How did your article go? Maybe you haven't gotten any feedback yet... it's only been a week?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#17 Old 02-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

David Suzuki is consider THE environmentalist in Canada and he's not veg*n. But even he now has to admit that meat reduction = better environment:

Quote:
Roughly one-fifth of the world's land is used for grazing. That’s twice the area used for growing crops. Much of this land once provided habitat for flora and fauna before being cleared for livestock.

Feedlots cause water pollution. Nearly 21 per cent of the average Canadian's contribution to common water pollution is caused by meat consumption from high-density farms. By designating just one “meat free” day a week you'll help reduce common water pollutants by as much as 21 kilograms annually.

Meat production requires more water than raising crops. For example, 283 grams (10 oz) of beef requires 85 times more water to produce than the same amount of potatoes

What's good for the earth can also be good for you! Reducing meat consumption lowers the risks of heart disease and stroke. Eating more vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes improves your cardiovascular health and reduces the risks of obesity, diabetes and cancer.

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/WOL/Chall...letter/Two.asp

I guess I'm late, lol.
#18 Old 02-04-2007, 01:03 PM

This is the most comprehensive article I've seen:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-...-_b_40261.html
#19 Old 02-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes I've seen that one, catspjs. Fortunately for that authour, she has a lot more free reign as far as the tone she takes in the article. Whatever I write, I have to make sure it doesn't tick off the advertisers, since I am an advertising writer at a large metro daily.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page