Vegan wine? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-20-2007, 09:56 PM

While not a vegan, I am a vegetarian who avoids gelatin. As an avid wine lover, I recently discovered that many wines are processed using gelatin (ewwwww....). I checked my local Earth Fare today and they carry no vegan wines. Anyone have a suggestion for where I can look in the Columbia, SC area? Or a brand recommendation for wines I can pick up online? Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

most wines are filtered with casein and eggs - you can contact them and see, and then you dont have to seek out vegan.
#3 Old 01-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

i didnt realize this!

i just googled and found this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie15 View Post

most wines are filtered with casein and eggs - you can contact them and see, and then you dont have to seek out vegan.

not really

the four most common finings are isinglass, gelatin, bentonite, and diatomeceous earth

I won't say that casein and eggs aren't used, but they are not common
#5 Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Frey California Organic wine is Vegan. The Cabernet is okay, but avoid the "natural red". I really didn't care for that.

Wright New Zealand wines are vegan (not sure which stores, if any, carry it) http://www.wrightswines.co.nz/index.php?page=philosophy

Cygnus Wine Cellars in Maryland is vegan. I recommend the Port of Manchester. http://www.cygnuswinecellars.com/

online vegan wine retailers

http://www.ecowine.com/order.htm

- type in Vegan in the search menu.

http://www.freywine.com/freywine/order-here.html

http://www.mountaincovevineyards.com/

^ this is a Virginia winery that is vegan. I recommend the Skyline Rose and the Blackberry

Those I'm positive about. I've heard RUMOR that kosher wines might be vegan. I'm not sure though. Also keep in mind Organic does not = vegan. Some organics are still going to use the horrible animal product "fining".
#6 Old 01-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueveggie14 View Post

Some organics are still going to use the horrible animal product "fining".

gelatin is actually an excellent fining
#7 Old 01-20-2007, 11:25 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions- I will check out those links.

I checked with the win manager at our local Earth Fare store and he said he used to carry a brand called "Organic Wine Works" that he *thought* was vegan, but he wasn't positive. I am having trouble verifying that online and would love to know if anyone can confirm. Thanks!
#8 Old 01-20-2007, 11:28 PM

Sorry to double-post, but I found the confirmation as soon as I posted that.

http://members.cruzio.com/~oww/
#9 Old 01-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Beginner

Though I don't drink, I read an article in VegNews not long ago that YellowTail wine (the bottles with the kangaroo on them) are vegan and can be found at most regular grocery stores.
#10 Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 PM

Thanks so much for that tip CountryDreamer...I'll check them out!
#11 Old 01-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

not really

the four most common finings are isinglass, gelatin, bentonite, and diatomeceous earth

I won't say that casein and eggs aren't used, but they are not common

thank you. i'm quite allergic to both and perhaps the companies tell me that is the source to cover themselves in case things change - a lot of companies do that, unfortunately. thanks for the info, though! perhaps i'll find more.
#12 Old 01-22-2007, 05:14 AM

[QUOTE=lelab]While not a vegan, I am a vegetarian who avoids gelatin....

All vegetarians should not consume gelatin - or else they are not vegetarians, as far as i see it anyway
#13 Old 01-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=pepper pig]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelab View Post

While not a vegan, I am a vegetarian who avoids gelatin....

All vegetarians should not consume gelatin - or else they are not vegetarians, as far as i see it anyway

out of curiousity, wouldn't gelatin fall more into the honey-ish area (and perhaps for make up and stuff, then in the leather and so on)? i know it's more 'to each their own', but if there were some sort of definition?
#14 Old 01-22-2007, 12:19 PM

In one of my vegan books, gelatin is referred to as the "protein dissolved from bones, skin, hide trimmings, and tendons" of animals. So it is not vegetarian.
#15 Old 01-22-2007, 04:06 PM

As a veg, I draw the line at anything derived from the dead, so gelatin is a clear no-no for me, as are cheeses made with rennet, etc. But many veggies I know draw the line at not eating flesh and nothing more. All in how you see it I guess. My remark about being a no-gelatin veggie wa not made out of ignorance, but as a reflection of how the veggies I know define themselves.
#16 Old 01-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the replies. It was out of curiousity. That's a good definition - gelatin (the actual stuff) isn't really something that crosses my mind. "Hmm... I wonder HOW they make it." Just something I knew was rank and 'knew' how they made it. If that makes sense.

Anyway.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page