Just Saw the "Earthlings" Video on Youtube - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2007, 07:49 PM

Wow.

I'll be honest. I decided to become Vegetarian mainly for "better health" reasons. Not for animal rights.

Ever since watching videos like Meet Your Meat and others, I cant really see myself using any animal products ever again. I just finished watching Earthlings narrated by Joaquin Phoenix.

Damn. I'm seriously considering going 100% Vegan. Its weird. There was so much stuff in that film that made go "Huh. I feel stupid for not realizing this before."

I started off being Lacto-Vegetarian...but then I saw this artist's drawing of a Cow with a couple of humans underneath it sucking on the Cow's udders. A caption below the picture said "Is this natural?"

Obviously...NO. Its not natural at all. I think the switch will be pretty easy for me. I prefer Soy Milk over Cow Milk anyhow. Wearing non-animal clothes shouldnt be a problem for me considering I never liked the idea to begin with. Except...

How do I know that my clothes were made from animals or not? How do I know for sure?

P.S....I about vomitted when the man ripped the skin off that poor fox and it was still alive, blinking and shivering in agony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember seeing that cow picture with the humans sucking it's tits! That says a lot right there!

Does anyone have a link to it, I would love to post it on my blog!

If you are considering going vegan I suggest reading the book "Eat To Live"

It will make becoming and staying vegan very very easy!

http://books.google.com/books?vid=IS...M8emcIBw4u-UjI

Take Care
#3 Old 01-16-2007, 08:18 PM

Okay, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesGuy View Post

How do I know that my clothes were made from animals or not? How do I know for sure?

The tag on the back.

Cotton, is cotton, a plant.

Polyester, acrylic, rayon, etc are manmade.

Wool, is wool. (sheep hair)

Angora is rabbit fur.

Leather is cow skin

Silk is made from boiled silkworms

That is about 90% of what you will see in clothes.
#5 Old 01-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

All of the scenes in Earthlings are pretty hard to watch. The worst one for me was when those garbage men put that live dog in the garbage truck. I was SO angry. I kept thinking that I am so embarrassed to be a human being and having to be the same species as those jerks.

The second one was that pig getting kick to death.
#6 Old 01-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post

I remember seeing that cow picture with the humans sucking it's tits! That says a lot right there!

Does anyone have a link to it, I would love to post it on my blog!

I have this one:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4206/cowgirlnh6.png

I don't know if it's what you're talking about, though. It's a funnily gross picture. But not gross enough to kill this chocolate frosting craving I have.

~Wondre
#7 Old 01-16-2007, 11:26 PM

Jes, I think you'll find after making the switch to veganism that it was easier than you thought it was going to be. Plus, each person who becomes vegan makes it easier for those who follow. No time like the present to start - the sooner you start, the more animals you'll spare from cruelty. Anyway, you've got my support.

Sometimes it takes a shocker like "Earthlings" to jolt us into making humane lifestyle changes.
#8 Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

The tag on the back.

Cotton, is cotton, a plant.

Polyester, acrylic, rayon, etc are manmade.

Wool, is wool. (sheep hair)

Angora is rabbit fur.

Leather is cow skin

Silk is made from boiled silkworms

That is about 90% of what you will see in clothes.

Anyone can tell me about, satin, cashmere, and pashmina please?

"I don't want to tamper with natural ignorance. It's the key to happiness.
Ignorance is the key. Too much knowledge and you're doomed."

"The Animals of the planet are in desperate peril. Without free animal life I believe we will lose the spiritual equivalent of oxygen. "
#9 Old 01-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I watched the first part of Earthlings last night. I bawled like a baby and still feel bad and I'm a vegan.

For anyone considering watching it, be warned. It's graphic, and unyielding.

If you have problems watching animals treated horribly, don't watch it.
#10 Old 01-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

cashmere is an animal product. Satin CAN be, but if it's satin and the tag says 100% polyester it isn't. I have no idea what pashmina is.

Yay for Jesguy!
#11 Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Beginner

Sorry, my fault, I have a pashmina (scarf) made of cashmere. So pashmina is a scarf and nothing to do with the material it is made from!!!

I couldn't watch the Earthlings video! It would mentally destroy me, I'm sure!

"I don't want to tamper with natural ignorance. It's the key to happiness.
Ignorance is the key. Too much knowledge and you're doomed."

"The Animals of the planet are in desperate peril. Without free animal life I believe we will lose the spiritual equivalent of oxygen. "
#12 Old 01-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Wow.

I'll be honest. I decided to become Vegetarian mainly for "better health" reasons. Not for animal rights.

Ever since watching videos like Meet Your Meat and others, I cant really see myself using any animal products ever again. I just finished watching Earthlings narrated by Joaquin Phoenix.

Damn. I'm seriously considering going 100% Vegan. Its weird. There was so much stuff in that film that made go "Huh. I feel stupid for not realizing this before."

I started off being Lacto-Vegetarian...but then I saw this artist's drawing of a Cow with a couple of humans underneath it sucking on the Cow's udders. A caption below the picture said "Is this natural?"

Obviously...NO. Its not natural at all. I think the switch will be pretty easy for me. I prefer Soy Milk over Cow Milk anyhow. Wearing non-animal clothes shouldnt be a problem for me considering I never liked the idea to begin with. Except...

P.S....I about vomitted when the man ripped the skin off that poor fox and it was still alive, blinking and shivering in agony.

That is the single image from Earthlings that still sticks in my mind. Horrifying. Also, the dolphin fishing in Japan.

Though those movies are so difficult to watch, I think they are very important for some of us to keep focused on our reasons for veganism. I became vegan after seeing Meet Your Meat a couple of years ago, and then I kind of let it drift to the back of my mind. I started thinking about veganism in the more philosophical realm and decided it would be acceptable to eat free-range dairy/eggs. From there I kind of slipped into buying whatever dairy was cheapest, eating cheese omelets at Denny's, stuff like that. From there I slipped further into eating fish, commercial and organic dairy, and commercial and organic eggs. It took re-watching Meet Your Meat to jolt me back to reality and realize that I needed to stop consuming animal products! I stopped buying them but continued to eat them at other peoples' homes, and then one night a couple of months ago I watched Earthlings. That was the moment I decided there was no turning back! No matter how awkward the social situation, I wasn't going to compromise! Whatever uncomfortableness I have to feel occasionally as a vegan is miles away from the torture those animals go through every day.

Good luck on your journey! We are all here to help you whenever you need it!
#13 Old 01-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I personally won't watch those particularly graphic videos. Peaceable Kingdom was hard for me to watch, and I don't know why I ever watched it. Some of those images still haunt me. I know what's happening, I don't need to see it - it's just too hard to watch. I know it helps some people, particularly those who aren't 'there' yet. It's good to know that these videos are a source of inspiration. Now if we could only get those cold-hearted omni's to watch them.
#14 Old 01-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't watch them either. I already teeter on the edge of giving up on the world in complete despair every day, so I imagine Earthlings or Peaceable Kingdom would probably be pretty bad for my mental health.

At the same time though I don't think I need to...every step along this journey, once I committed to the next step I have not faltered. Unlike colorful ( ) I have become increasingly committed over the past five years. If there ever comes a time where that somehow changes I know what I have to do, but thus far it hasn't been necessary.

I think it's great that those videos exist though, although I of course wish they didn't have to. And I admire those of you who do watch them and use them to help you maintain your lifestyle in the midst of such an anti-veg world.
#15 Old 01-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

ive watched some of the peta videos, those made me cry. i dont think i could handle watching this one.
#16 Old 01-17-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks to all the replies. As to the comment about "cold-hearted omnis"...I think thats a bit over the top.

Being fresh off the omni-lifestyle, if a vegan or someone had told me I was cold-hearted for eating meat, I would've just shrugged them off as being looney. Much like some of the PETA videos---calling people names and attacking their personalities is NOT the way to gain converts. For example, in one PETA add it says, "It takes a small person to beat a defenseless animal, and it takes an even smaller person to eat it."

Give me a break. I agree with the first part, but the second? Sheesh.

This is how people were raised. Eating meat is something they've done since they were toddlers. I think calling them cold-hearted is a ludicrous judgement on people who simply dont know. If I can change, so can others, but that doesnt mean they, or I were ever "cold-hearted". Its just how they were raised.
#17 Old 01-17-2007, 03:44 PM

That video is very hard to watch, after I saw Meet Your Meat I thought nothing could be worse. And I was wrong.... When I saw it I was a l/o veg and it made me question whether or not I thought being vegetarian was enough, and now I'm a vegan. I think you'll find the transition easy, I sure did. I've always liked soymilk over cow's and I didn't own many articles of clothing made from animals (only a pair of leather boots). The only real changes were reading labels before eating things and not eating cheese. I enjoy being vegan more and more every day.
#18 Old 01-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm glad that i read this before watching that video. i was going to the other day, but just didnt get around to it, now i know what i'm in for and i'm prepared if i sit down to watch it. i just dont think i'm ready yet. i've seen all the others and they were enough for now, but i will watch this one in the future
#19 Old 01-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Your avatar picture is beautiful, joyinc.
#20 Old 01-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

do you mean this one? ironically i was just changing it as you posted! the other one was coming out fuzzy on my computer screen

I went on google images and searched for photos of cows and their babies. one of the things that always gets to me is hearing about how they are taken away and the mother cows cry for them... breaks my heart
#21 Old 01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, the mother cow with her baby.
#22 Old 01-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Yeah, the mother cow with her baby.

#23 Old 01-17-2007, 05:40 PM

The jump to veganism (for me) wasn't so hard as long as you give yourself time and don't make unrealistic expectations, like "I'm going 100% vegan tomorrow"...you kind of have to wean yourself off of milk, eggs, cheese (my temptation!). It took me about a year of preparing for it to make the leap (I was just vegetarian). Others may differ, but just offering some advice.

Yes, "Earthlings" can do a number on ya if you aren't prepared. Before we watched it I had prepared to cry so had the tissues ready. Had to pause it several times just to get some crying out of the way. All of it really got to me and I realized how cold and cruel we can be, but it inspires the watcher to make a change and first to change themselves so one day we may collectively realize how warm and compassionate we all can and should be. Good on you for watching it though! Personally I think everyone should.......
#24 Old 01-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

is this a dvd you can just go get at a place like walmart? or would i have to special order it?
#25 Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I had to order mine off of PETA's site. I couldn't even find it on amazon.

Honestly, I didn't care for the movie itself (though I love J.P. and think he's a great 'voice' for the cause). It might be a good reminder for those already concerned for animals, but I don't know that it'll impress any veggie-ness upon most omnis.

But YES, that poor little guy still ALIVE after his skin was ripped off of him, WOW was that disturbing. and THAT part of the movie I want to show to everyone who ever comes over to my house who might still think wearing fur is cool. Ugh, it makes me want to cry just remembering it, and I only watched it once...
#26 Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinc View Post

do you mean this one? ironically i was just changing it as you posted! the other one was coming out fuzzy on my computer screen

I went on google images and searched for photos of cows and their babies. one of the things that always gets to me is hearing about how they are taken away and the mother cows cry for them... breaks my heart

This reminds me of the part of Peaceable Kingdom where they actually show a calf being taken away from the mother cow. I really just broke down and sobbed when I saw that.

I love your avatar photo, too!
#27 Old 01-17-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinc View Post

is this a dvd you can just go get at a place like walmart? or would i have to special order it?

I just got the video off YouTube. It was broken up into 10 sections, but I was able to watch the whole thing with no interruptions.
#28 Old 01-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thanks to all the replies. As to the comment about "cold-hearted omnis"...I think thats a bit over the top.

Being fresh off the omni-lifestyle, if a vegan or someone had told me I was cold-hearted for eating meat, I would've just shrugged them off as being looney. Much like some of the PETA videos---calling people names and attacking their personalities is NOT the way to gain converts. For example, in one PETA add it says, "It takes a small person to beat a defenseless animal, and it takes an even smaller person to eat it."

Give me a break. I agree with the first part, but the second? Sheesh.

This is how people were raised. Eating meat is something they've done since they were toddlers. I think calling them cold-hearted is a ludicrous judgement on people who simply dont know. If I can change, so can others, but that doesnt mean they, or I were ever "cold-hearted". Its just how they were raised.

Woah, you're taking my comment completely the wrong way. No need to get so defensive. I didn't mean to imply that anyone who eats meat is cold hearted. I meant the ones who are cold hearted and say they don't care what happens to the animals. That animals are made of meat and that is why we should eat them, etc.

I apologize for not being more clear in my wording.
#29 Old 01-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I about vomitted when the man ripped the skin off that poor fox and it was still alive, blinking and shivering in agony.

That image will stay with me for the rest of my life.

I watched Earthlings a couple of days after becoming a vegan and it definitely strengthened my resolve. I bawled all the way through and was pretty depressed for a week or two afterwords.

There is an image from Meet Your Meat that I draw on when I feel the temptation to eat something non-vegan. In the part when they show the pigs all crammed together, in a trailer I think, one of the pigs really caught my attention. The look in his eyes is just so painfully sad, I almost threw up. So, when I feel tempted, all I have to do is think about that pig.
#30 Old 01-17-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Woah, you're taking my comment completely the wrong way. No need to get so defensive. I didn't mean to imply that anyone who eats meat is cold hearted. I meant the ones who are cold hearted and say they don't care what happens to the animals. That animals are made of meat and that is why we should eat them, etc.

I apologize for not being more clear in my wording.

Okay, thats cool. I feel ya.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page