Quote:
Originally Posted by JesGuy View Post

Okay, thats cool. I feel ya.

I think we're on the same side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

its ironic, i was thinking about getting this from peta yesterday, i watched the first part on you tube...

today i was out of town and went to this vegan grocery that i'd heard of on this board, and what do you know, they had a whole display of the dvd's

now i just have to find some time to view it, i dont know if i should wait till the rest of the family is away from the tv or not.
#33 Old 01-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

oooh, you went to the Green Door joyinc? How was it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

lol i just posted about that over on the ontario thread

it's smaller then i thought, and most of the products are ones i can find around here, but there was a few that i picked up that i havent been able to find. the prices were actually pretty good too. they sell the shampoo that i normally use for about 3$ less then what i pay for it here

sorry for the thread hijack!
#35 Old 01-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangogirl View Post

Anyone can tell me about, satin, cashmere, and pashmina please?

Just to clarify the previous discussion about materials...

Pashmina means both the scarf/shawl garment you're talking about and the wool of the goats that it is made of. It the same as what we would call cashmere or sometimes mohair. I think when pashminas (the garment) first become popular, they were all made of pure pashmina or a pashmina/silk blend. But I recently bought a "pashmina" that is 100% acrylic, so you can find them in non-animal fibers. And the good news is, they tend to be cheaper than the real thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pashmina

Satin is a particular type of weave, like "twill" or "gabardine" or and is not dependent on what material it's actually made of. So a satin blouse could be made of silk, or cotton, or polyester, or a blend. The tag will say what it's made of rather than "satin." I think satin items are most often made of nylon or polyester these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satin
#36 Old 01-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a really nice fake pashmina, it's warm, soft, and looks as good as the real thing...and was really cheap It was very easy to find.
#37 Old 01-22-2007, 12:22 PM

I bought Earthlings a few months ago. It's a good dvd to have if you ever need a little reminding why you are veg*n, and i'm sure that it's converted a lot of people to a more compassionate way of living.

Be prepared for some extremely shocking scenes though.

Tissues at the ready...
#38 Old 01-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

All of the scenes in Earthlings are pretty hard to watch. The worst one for me was when those garbage men put that live dog in the garbage truck.(

That's as far as I got when I had to turn it off....I got the DVD in the mail just today....what a waste of money....I feel like trashing it...no way could I sit through that nightmare...I knew it was going to be bad, but I didn't realize it would be that bad....I don't need to be put through that to remind me why I chose to be vegan. What little I did see will stay with me. I know I'm a big fat baby, but that was the most horrible thing I've ever seen.
#39 Old 01-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

that was horrid. and the skinning of that animal. it breaks your heart.

i'd almost like to skin one of those dudes and toss em in the dumptruck.... almost.
#40 Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

That's as far as I got when I had to turn it off....I got the DVD in the mail just today....what a waste of money....I feel like trashing it...

If you decide not to view or keep it yourself, you could always consider donating it to your local library. If they put it in circulation, it has the potential to open a lot of people's eyes to animal suffering (who unlike yourself are not aware) and what they can do about it!
#41 Old 01-24-2007, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, that was just my reaction because I had just tried to watch it...I've calmed down some now. I actually loaned it to someone at work. She already doesn't eat meat but is lax in the fish/dairy department. She's trying to wean off the dairy slowly. Donating it is an excellent idea! I won't throw it out!!
#42 Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Beginner

I found the switch shockingly easy, too. It's only hard when I am stuck someplace for hours and hours (like a hospital) with no food options. Then out of pure hungry I tend to eat things that I THINK are Vegan but am not 100% sure. I do my best, though. When home, or shopping, I am very careful. I have learned to pack snacks with me at all times in case of an emergency!
#43 Old 02-05-2007, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I wasn't sure if the youtube links have been put up here already , too many pages to search to check.

So thought I woudl put them up anyway. I showed this film to a Slovakian 25yr old staying at myne , she was really good coz when she moved in she was a meat eater but turned vegan just so I wouldnt get upset , then after a few weeks she began to show more and more interest in why I was vegan. So showed her a few leaflets,magazines etc , then told her about EARTHLINGS and she managed to watch the whole film, be it with a very large box of tissues .

She was in total shock and never knew anythign like this went on in the world. IT def woke her up to the world we sadly live in.

I'm showing some more people the film soon!!!

The youtube links are :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxKnys7Ryw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sRiH_Owq9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8U9dw-9U4E

EARTHLINGS is a feature length documentary about humanity's absolute dependence on animals (for pets, food, clothing, entertainment, and scientific research) but also illustrates our complete disrespect for these so-called "non-human providers." The film is narrated by Academy Award nominee Joaquin Phoenix (GLADIATOR) and features music by the critically acclaimed platinum artist Moby.

BE WARNED AS THIS FILM REALLY DOES SHOW MANS TOTAL DISRESPECT FOR NON HUMAN ANIMALS
#44 Old 02-05-2007, 02:31 AM

Earthlings was the pivotal step for me becoming vegan, too, and as soon as the film was over I vowed never again to consume (in its broadest sense) an animal or animal-tested product. That was last June, and although I haven't been perfect - it's very hard! - I've been damn-well near it. Yes, the fox scene - oh, those pretty eyelashes - and the monkey in the crash testing, and many more, will be burned on my memory for the rest of my life. But I'm glad to have those permanent scars, because I would personally be willing to accept much more than that to my body and soul if it meant alleviating some of their suffering. I feel I got off very easy by comparison.

I've got a horribly soft spot for animals to begin with - I've always understood that there is negligable difference between us and them, on all scales down to insects and beyond - so watching Earthlings was extremely difficult. I had to pause it several times to maintain some composure and walk around a little, and I cried like I've seldom cried before (which was usually when a pet died, actually). But I stuck with it, because I knew that by doing so I was in my individual way hearing what was essentially the voices of these animals crying for help and compassion. I felt that every second of watching was making me stronger, more determined, more knowledgeable, and wiser to the issues, turning me into a soldier increasingly prepared to fight the good fight.

Truth is not often happy at its core. But having the courage to strip oneself and be naked in the presence of truth is to ultimately possess truth. And possessing truth is powerful indeed.
#45 Old 02-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Veggie Regular

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...7&q=earthlings

this is the full lenght version of Earthlings. If we can all get as many people we know or talk online too to watch this film the better.

Everybody should watch this film and wake up to the reality of the total and utter selfishness of the majority of the human race.

Well done for all those people who have become vegan and follow it through inc clothes they were, food they eat etc etc.

We all need to make changes in our lives to help those who can't help themselves. We need to educate others about the injustice in the world , the corruption in governments to keep the vivisection industry alive just for the finacial gains of the few at the expense of the masses -human lives included.
#46 Old 02-12-2007, 08:28 AM
bdj

Wow.... talk about depressing.

I just watched it... it actually made me cry. :'(
#47 Old 02-26-2007, 07:06 PM

I have watched 30 minutes so far and going to watch the rest when I have time. So far, it has made me want to change my ways. I will be honest and say that I will slowly remove meat from my diet, but I don't know if I can completely remove it. I am a high school athlete which means I really need the protein. I have always eaten tofu so its no problem for me, but is it the same protein as meat? I have also heard that there are nutrients in meat that are necessary for the body. Right now, I am buying organic and free-range products to renew my life as a better person, no, not just a person, but a better earthling. I will continue to use the knowledge of not using animal skins as clothing or accessories. Thanks for reading.
#48 Old 02-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry but what is the link to the earthlings ???
#49 Old 02-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchida View Post

I have watched 30 minutes so far and going to watch the rest when I have time. So far, it has made me want to change my ways. I will be honest and say that I will slowly remove meat from my diet, but I don't know if I can completely remove it. I am a high school athlete which means I really need the protein. I have always eaten tofu so its no problem for me, but is it the same protein as meat? I have also heard that there are nutrients in meat that are necessary for the body. Right now, I am buying organic and free-range products to renew my life as a better person, no, not just a person, but a better earthling. I will continue to use the knowledge of not using animal skins as clothing or accessories. Thanks for reading.

There is nothing magical about animal protein. Many athletes eat not only a vegetarian, but a vegan diet. The whole protein thing is way over rated. You really don't need that much protein, even as an athlete. Chances are you're getting too much as it is now.

There is *nothing* that meat has that you can't get on a vegetarian diet (except cholesterol!). Beware of the organic and free range labels; they don't necessarily mean that the animals were treated any better. For a truly ethical diet, refuse to eat the animals that deserve our compassion and respect. I wish you luck!
#50 Old 03-04-2007, 12:19 PM

One thing they should have added was reptiles because since they don't show emotions, we don't show much sympathy for them. Poaching of reptiles for exotic meats or skins and as pets is also a problem, but I guess reptile fashion isn't very popular now. In good zoos, I believe reptiles have the smallest space available compared to other animals and are enclosed in glass cases that spark reflexes of young people to tap or bang on the glass to evoke a response from the seemingly lifeless and emotionless creatures.

EDIT: hmm also insects...i guess most insects aren't a problem(cockroaches, and parasites?) but people don't show respect to insects such as bees.
#51 Old 03-06-2007, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGIHEAD View Post

Sorry but what is the link to the earthlings ???

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...7&q=earthlings

here is the link to teh film Earthlings
#52 Old 03-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchida View Post

Hi,

you say about needing meat for protien , look at elephants, they are vegan and look at their muscles!!!

The whole protien argument is a very old one and has slong since been proven wrong that we need to eat animals in order to get protien. Would we have so many vegans alive in this world if this was the case?

I recently saw a programme recenlty about a man who came third in teh world weight lifting championship, he is a vegan!

Like has been said already, many atheltes choose a vegan diet, I'm sure most of them dont choose it for ethical reasons too but for health.

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/ check out this for more info.
#53 Old 03-06-2007, 01:18 PM

ohh, thank you for your responses. yeah, I just remembered that nuts such as peanuts and beans such as soybean gives sufficient amounts of protein. Meat has very high calories and supplies large amounts of energy, which most people don't need. If one does need higher caloric intake, nuts and other seeds provide plenty of calories and healthy nutrients. For elephants to get their daily protein/nutrients from vegetation, they have to eat for the entire day, but they are truly one of the most strongest and intelligent land animals. We surely don't need meat at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page