Vegan Holidays - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-10-2007, 10:02 AM

Hope someone can help me with this...

I'm a vegetarian and my boyfriend is vegan and we are looking for somewhere to go on holiday in the summer.

Having done endless hours of research I'm still finding it difficult to find somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are hoping to go somewhere we can get some sunshine in Europe but are working to a pretty tight budget.

Do you have any suggestions on countries or resorts that you've found to be pretty good in the past?

We went to Playas de las Americas in Tenerife last year and it was ok. Managed to find a few chinese restaurants with vegan options, and there was one pizza/curry place (strange mix I thought) run by Brits that was very good- serving tofu dishes too. Also found a supermarket in Los Christianos towards the end of the holiday that had soya products.

Any help would be much appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 PM

I don't have an idea of your budget, or how much you'd like to spend on the travel itself, or even where your based, so it makes it a little hard to suggest.

You could use vegan dinning site (I can't post urls yet, sorry, try google?) to pick a place with good food, and base your trip around that. As a trying-vegan, a lot of times I think that when I can eat out without going "I need to know if this has milk/egg/meat/whatever" is at least a mini-holiday.
#3 Old 01-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

If you're not wanting to spend too much, you could stay in a hostel with its own kitchen and cook your own food (more and more hostels have double/twin rooms these days, too). Or you could look for self-catering appartments, which would probably be cheaper than a hotel and you'll save money by cooking some of your own meals. Having spent a couple of holidays as a vegan staying in hostels and living on whatever I could get from the supermarket that didn't require cooking or many utensils to prepare it (mainly bread...), the last holiday I went on (Berlin for new year) we rented an appartment for a few days. It wasn't too much more than a hostel, we got to cook our own food (which for me is a luxury on holiday, instead of living off cold supermarket food) and best of all when we got there we found an organic supermarket at the end of the street where we were staying!

Can't really advise on specific hot places, but for restaurants or takeaway food, looking out for Chinese, Indian or Middle Eastern places is often a good bet.

HappyCow http://www.happycow.net/index.html is a directory of vegetarian and vegan-friendly restaurants and health food shops all over the world, so you might find some useful information there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Victoria BC (Canada) has many vegan-friendly restaurants and lots of things to see and do...

And it's a beautiful and romantic city.
#5 Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 AM

you know about the happy cow website, right? (veggie vegan listings for 92 countries).

It's hard to make any suggestions without knowing what interests you.

Something that you could do would be to get to Europe from the US (where I'm assuming you are ) and then use 'budget airlines' - ryanair, easyjet, etc - to visit many places.

I would recommend Holland, Spain, Norway, Italy.

And Yorkshire!!

(but only because that's where I am)

http://www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/seegde/index.htm
#6 Old 01-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I would have guessed the OP is British. I second Yorkshire as a place to visit, but not if you're specifically after sunshine!
#7 Old 01-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Banned

Easiest thing to do is to rent a villa with a kitchen. You can cook your own meals that way. I did this in Tuscany last summer and it was great to buy veg and pasta from local shops and cook it at home and eat on the patio over looking the golden hills. It also works out quite cheap as you aren't spending money in restaurants. You can find villas to rent in beach resorts all over Spain/Portugal.

Barcelona is the best town for vegans in Spain, IMHO. Lots of veg friendly restaurants. Not really a beach place, though but you can take a train to beach towns nearby.

By far the best place for vegan food I've visited was Kerala, which isn't in Europe but what the heck...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page