There Goes My Appetite... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-09-2007, 05:24 AM

ARG! Reaching for my (delicious) tofu breakfast shake this morning that I had stuck in the fridge, what did my lovely mother place on top of my tupperware container? A package of veal! I think I'm going to be sick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

You poor thing!
#3 Old 01-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I sympathise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Yuck! I hate it when that happens.
#5 Old 01-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh
#6 Old 01-09-2007, 10:47 AM

Ewww. I would lose my appetite, too!
#7 Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Yuck!

There's nothing better than a vegan kitchen! No worries like random meat packages dripping on the veggies and such.
#8 Old 01-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh sick

Veal's one of the worst too

Even MY mom refuses to buy it
#9 Old 01-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Yuck. Meat on your breakfast shake! How gross!

I have a part-time housekeeping job. Last week a woman asked me to clean her refrigerator for her. On the bottom shelf she had a package of raw meat defrosting and it was dripping blood all over the shelf. When I picked it up to clean under it leaked all over my hands. I had to put it in a bowl to contain all the blood that kept dripping out of it. It has been so long since I had meat in my home that I had almost forgotten how disgusting blood oozing slabs of dead animal are.
#10 Old 01-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojob1969 View Post

Yuck. Meat on your breakfast shake! How gross!

I have a part-time housekeeping job. Last week a woman asked me to clean her refrigerator for her. On the bottom shelf she had a package of raw meat defrosting and it was dripping blood all over the shelf. When I picked it up to clean under it leaked all over my hands. I had to put it in a bowl to contain all the blood that kept dripping out of it. It has been so long since I had meat in my home that I had almost forgotten how disgusting blood oozing slabs of dead animal are.

That is sooo nasty!!!
#11 Old 01-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you could have your own shelf in the fridge so there's no chance of a serious gross-out like that again. You can keep your stuff separate, and she can keep her drippy meat packages separate.
#12 Old 01-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I share a house with 6 omnivores.

nothing kills the appetite like "back fat bacon" on top of your hummus!!

[feels your pain]
#13 Old 01-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Maybe you could have your own shelf in the fridge so there's no chance of a serious gross-out like that again. You can keep your stuff separate, and she can keep her drippy meat packages separate.

Not to mention the food safety aspect of the whole thing. It is generally recommended that meats be placed on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator so that if they do leak, they aren't dripping down onto other foods.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would consider something 'food' that is also a biohazard.
#14 Old 01-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

"Hey mom. You know what they say. This veal probably has more room in the fridge than it did when it was alive."

:sneaky: ain't I a stinker?

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#15 Old 01-09-2007, 06:56 PM

Someone put a defrosting package of deer meat on the top shelf without a bowl in the fridge. The thing leaked blood all over the place and on top of my container of hummus.
#16 Old 01-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I have my own shelf. Ask your mom about that, it makes things a lot easier, for you and them.

Even if I didn't, it's not as big of a deal for me because my family doesn't eat much meat, mostly because I'm vegan and my brother doesn't like it (except for ham, which is ironic, because of how much he loves living pigs). They mostly store dead animals in the freezer. Although, it is kind of gross reaching in to get a tofutti cutie and having to stare at all the meaty cheese pizzas and frozen dead flesh.
#17 Old 01-09-2007, 09:39 PM

ugh grosssss!

my mum defrosts the meat unpackaged on a plate in the cupboard (where the plates are) and it always freaks me out (and grosses me out) to open up the cupboard to get a plate or cup or bowl and see a huge slap of bloody flesh sitting there. it is so disgusting and i have to get my plate/bowl/cup from another cupboard just because i hate that it is in the same area as the open meat. ughguhguhg.
#18 Old 01-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefingers View Post

ugh grosssss!

my mum defrosts the meat unpackaged on a plate in the cupboard (where the plates are) and it always freaks me out (and grosses me out) to open up the cupboard to get a plate or cup or bowl and see a huge slap of bloody flesh sitting there. it is so disgusting and i have to get my plate/bowl/cup from another cupboard just because i hate that it is in the same area as the open meat. ughguhguhg.

That is a very unsafe practice. Perhaps you should inform your mom that meat should be thawed in the refrigerator (or in cold water in the sink that is changed often)
#19 Old 01-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

That is gross. I have one tiny draw at the bottom of the fridge, and my parents can't seem to keep their meat stuff out of it, including fast food stuff.... like KFC. -_- I especially hate when they ask me to get some package of meat for them, I hated touching the package when I still ate meat... let alone now.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#20 Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 PM

I share a house with three omnivores, who the house is owned by. Sharing the space can be very hard, expecially when people don't realize how gross thawing meat products can be to others! I was blessed and got my own fridge, though. (An early wedding gift.)

I echo that getting your own "space" would be a good idea! Be it a shelf or a basket or a box, just somewhere safe you can keep your things.

(edited to add an extra thought or two.)
#21 Old 01-11-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

That is a very unsafe practice. Perhaps you should inform your mom that meat should be thawed in the refrigerator (or in cold water in the sink that is changed often)

is it? i don't know if it makes any difference but it is usually covered in some plastic wrap... well i guess i should inform her on that.
#22 Old 01-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

is it? i don't know if it makes any difference but it is usually covered in some plastic wrap... well i guess i should inform her on that.

It is! The plastic wrap really doesn't make a difference. What happens is that there is bacteria already present in the meat. Bacteria multiply and grow very rapidly at around room temperature, and can build up to dangerous levels in a short period of time. If the meat is contaminated with a pathogenic bacteria, such as a dangerous strain of E coli, or Salmonella (or one of many others), you can get very sick from eating the meat, especially if it isn't cooked very thoroughly.

From the Fight Bac website:

Quote:
Never defrost food at room temperature. Food must be kept at a safe temperature during thawing. There are three safe ways to defrost food: in the refrigerator, in cold water, and in the microwave. Food thawed in cold water or in the microwave should be cooked immediately.

#23 Old 01-11-2007, 02:02 PM

Thanks guys! I think I will ask for my own shelf. lol. And thanks for the bacteria info also!
#24 Old 01-12-2007, 02:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

ugh grosssss!

That's just wierd. Even when I was an omni, I knew meat was dirty. I am so glad my home is MINE.

(ETA: Just to clarify, I live with an omni, but we grew up together, and we have similar ideas about how raw meat is to be kept around other food. Well, I'd sorround it with a bacteria-zapping force field if I could, but that's another matter. )
#25 Old 01-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

You need a hug *hug*
#26 Old 01-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

I share a house with 6 omnivores.

nothing kills the appetite like "back fat bacon" on top of your hummus!!

[feels your pain]

Yep. I'm in a house with 3 omnis. It's the same kinda thing.

I can't wait 'till I get a place of my own! Then I'll have a vegan fridge!
#27 Old 01-12-2007, 09:15 PM

Aww thanks! *hugs back*
#28 Old 01-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicklesAreVegan View Post

Aww thanks! *hugs back*

Thank You I feel your pain. My Mom only cooks meat dishes and they always seem to end up right next to my veg leftovers.
#29 Old 01-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Not to mention the food safety aspect of the whole thing. It is generally recommended that meats be placed on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator so that if they do leak, they aren't dripping down onto other foods.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would consider something 'food' that is also a biohazard.

The bottom of the fridge is also cooler, which is why meat or anything that spoils easily should be kept on the glass right above the veggie drawer near the back.

According to the instructions that came with my fridge anyway...my internet connection wasn't working at the time, so I had some extra time on my hands
#30 Old 01-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Is there any food poisoning risk with soyfoods? Because I know I've let veggieburgers, soy chick'n and such defrost probably more than they should before re-freezing them.

slops, gloops, and gruels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page