VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegan Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/)
-   -   There Goes My Appetite... (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/60103-there-goes-my-appetite.html)

PicklesAreVegan 01-09-2007 05:24 AM

ARG! Reaching for my (delicious) tofu breakfast shake this morning that I had stuck in the fridge, what did my lovely mother place on top of my tupperware container? A package of veal! I think I'm going to be sick...

karenlovessnow 01-09-2007 06:16 AM

You poor thing!

Groovy chick 01-09-2007 06:31 AM

I sympathise!

Seb_0810 01-09-2007 08:02 AM

Yuck! I hate it when that happens.

raddish 01-09-2007 09:31 AM

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

GhostUser 01-09-2007 10:47 AM

Ewww. I would lose my appetite, too!

Fyvel 01-09-2007 11:43 AM

Yuck!



There's nothing better than a vegan kitchen! No worries like random meat packages dripping on the veggies and such.

ChiKat 01-09-2007 11:52 AM

Oh sick

Veal's one of the worst too

Even MY mom refuses to buy it

jojob1969 01-09-2007 02:17 PM

Yuck. Meat on your breakfast shake! How gross!



I have a part-time housekeeping job. Last week a woman asked me to clean her refrigerator for her. On the bottom shelf she had a package of raw meat defrosting and it was dripping blood all over the shelf. When I picked it up to clean under it leaked all over my hands. I had to put it in a bowl to contain all the blood that kept dripping out of it. It has been so long since I had meat in my home that I had almost forgotten how disgusting blood oozing slabs of dead animal are.

Fyvel 01-09-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojob1969 View Post

Yuck. Meat on your breakfast shake! How gross!



I have a part-time housekeeping job. Last week a woman asked me to clean her refrigerator for her. On the bottom shelf she had a package of raw meat defrosting and it was dripping blood all over the shelf. When I picked it up to clean under it leaked all over my hands. I had to put it in a bowl to contain all the blood that kept dripping out of it. It has been so long since I had meat in my home that I had almost forgotten how disgusting blood oozing slabs of dead animal are.





That is sooo nasty!!!

Coney 01-09-2007 02:23 PM

Maybe you could have your own shelf in the fridge so there's no chance of a serious gross-out like that again. You can keep your stuff separate, and she can keep her drippy meat packages separate.

Pirate Ferret 01-09-2007 02:38 PM

I share a house with 6 omnivores.

nothing kills the appetite like "back fat bacon" on top of your hummus!!

[feels your pain]

Fyvel 01-09-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Maybe you could have your own shelf in the fridge so there's no chance of a serious gross-out like that again. You can keep your stuff separate, and she can keep her drippy meat packages separate.





Not to mention the food safety aspect of the whole thing. It is generally recommended that meats be placed on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator so that if they do leak, they aren't dripping down onto other foods.



Personally, I don't know why anyone would consider something 'food' that is also a biohazard.

peace 01-09-2007 06:46 PM

"Hey mom. You know what they say. This veal probably has more room in the fridge than it did when it was alive."



:sneaky: ain't I a stinker?

Jill 01-09-2007 06:56 PM

Someone put a defrosting package of deer meat on the top shelf without a bowl in the fridge. The thing leaked blood all over the place and on top of my container of hummus.

Alli 01-09-2007 07:41 PM

I have my own shelf. Ask your mom about that, it makes things a lot easier, for you and them.



Even if I didn't, it's not as big of a deal for me because my family doesn't eat much meat, mostly because I'm vegan and my brother doesn't like it (except for ham, which is ironic, because of how much he loves living pigs). They mostly store dead animals in the freezer. Although, it is kind of gross reaching in to get a tofutti cutie and having to stare at all the meaty cheese pizzas and frozen dead flesh.

treefingers 01-09-2007 09:39 PM

ugh grosssss!



my mum defrosts the meat unpackaged on a plate in the cupboard (where the plates are) and it always freaks me out (and grosses me out) to open up the cupboard to get a plate or cup or bowl and see a huge slap of bloody flesh sitting there. it is so disgusting and i have to get my plate/bowl/cup from another cupboard just because i hate that it is in the same area as the open meat. ughguhguhg.

Fyvel 01-10-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefingers View Post

ugh grosssss!



my mum defrosts the meat unpackaged on a plate in the cupboard (where the plates are) and it always freaks me out (and grosses me out) to open up the cupboard to get a plate or cup or bowl and see a huge slap of bloody flesh sitting there. it is so disgusting and i have to get my plate/bowl/cup from another cupboard just because i hate that it is in the same area as the open meat. ughguhguhg.





That is a very unsafe practice. Perhaps you should inform your mom that meat should be thawed in the refrigerator (or in cold water in the sink that is changed often)

s0ad 01-10-2007 09:54 PM

That is gross. I have one tiny draw at the bottom of the fridge, and my parents can't seem to keep their meat stuff out of it, including fast food stuff.... like KFC. -_- I especially hate when they ask me to get some package of meat for them, I hated touching the package when I still ate meat... let alone now.

MandyLikesTomatoes 01-10-2007 11:46 PM

I share a house with three omnivores, who the house is owned by. Sharing the space can be very hard, expecially when people don't realize how gross thawing meat products can be to others! I was blessed and got my own fridge, though. (An early wedding gift.)



I echo that getting your own "space" would be a good idea! Be it a shelf or a basket or a box, just somewhere safe you can keep your things.





(edited to add an extra thought or two.)

treefingers 01-11-2007 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

That is a very unsafe practice. Perhaps you should inform your mom that meat should be thawed in the refrigerator (or in cold water in the sink that is changed often)

is it? i don't know if it makes any difference but it is usually covered in some plastic wrap... well i guess i should inform her on that.

Fyvel 01-11-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefingers View Post

is it? i don't know if it makes any difference but it is usually covered in some plastic wrap... well i guess i should inform her on that.





It is! The plastic wrap really doesn't make a difference. What happens is that there is bacteria already present in the meat. Bacteria multiply and grow very rapidly at around room temperature, and can build up to dangerous levels in a short period of time. If the meat is contaminated with a pathogenic bacteria, such as a dangerous strain of E coli, or Salmonella (or one of many others), you can get very sick from eating the meat, especially if it isn't cooked very thoroughly.



From the Fight Bac website:



Quote:
Never defrost food at room temperature. Food must be kept at a safe temperature during thawing. There are three safe ways to defrost food: in the refrigerator, in cold water, and in the microwave. Food thawed in cold water or in the microwave should be cooked immediately.


PicklesAreVegan 01-11-2007 02:02 PM

Thanks guys! I think I will ask for my own shelf. lol. And thanks for the bacteria info also!

froggythefrog 01-12-2007 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefingers View Post

ugh grosssss!



my mum defrosts the meat unpackaged on a plate in the cupboard (where the plates are) and it always freaks me out (and grosses me out) to open up the cupboard to get a plate or cup or bowl and see a huge slap of bloody flesh sitting there. it is so disgusting and i have to get my plate/bowl/cup from another cupboard just because i hate that it is in the same area as the open meat. ughguhguhg.



That's just wierd. Even when I was an omni, I knew meat was dirty. I am so glad my home is MINE.



(ETA: Just to clarify, I live with an omni, but we grew up together, and we have similar ideas about how raw meat is to be kept around other food. Well, I'd sorround it with a bacteria-zapping force field if I could, but that's another matter. )

danakscully64 01-12-2007 06:20 PM

You need a hug *hug*

KC_VeganVixen 01-12-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

I share a house with 6 omnivores.

nothing kills the appetite like "back fat bacon" on top of your hummus!!

[feels your pain]

Yep. I'm in a house with 3 omnis. It's the same kinda thing.

I can't wait 'till I get a place of my own! Then I'll have a vegan fridge!

PicklesAreVegan 01-12-2007 09:15 PM

Aww thanks! *hugs back*

danakscully64 01-12-2007 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicklesAreVegan View Post

Aww thanks! *hugs back*



Thank You I feel your pain. My Mom only cooks meat dishes and they always seem to end up right next to my veg leftovers.

Snow White 01-13-2007 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Not to mention the food safety aspect of the whole thing. It is generally recommended that meats be placed on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator so that if they do leak, they aren't dripping down onto other foods.



Personally, I don't know why anyone would consider something 'food' that is also a biohazard.

The bottom of the fridge is also cooler, which is why meat or anything that spoils easily should be kept on the glass right above the veggie drawer near the back.



According to the instructions that came with my fridge anyway...my internet connection wasn't working at the time, so I had some extra time on my hands

peace 01-13-2007 09:28 PM

Is there any food poisoning risk with soyfoods? Because I know I've let veggieburgers, soy chick'n and such defrost probably more than they should before re-freezing them.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.