Dorm Vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Beginner

I'm thinking about going vegan slowly as I go back to school, however, it seems like a lot of the wonderful vegan foods I see (and eat now!) have to be cooked. My dorm has VERY limited kitchen capacity, I basically have a shelf in the room I keep food on, some space in our mini-fridge, and a hotpot for boiling water. We aren't allowed anything else. There is one public microwave downstairs, but I don't really like having to go down to the lobby carrying oatmeal in my pajamas.

So my question is this: what (healthy!) vegan snacks and breakfasts can I have that don't require cooking? I eat my lunch and dinner in the dining hall usually, so that isn't an issue. For breakfast sometimes I have cereal with soymilk and fruit or a tortilla with peanut butter and a banana, but those get old after a while. Snacks are often Luna bars, but I don't like depending on processed food so much, plus they are a bit expensive for a college budget.

Oh yeah, I go to school in Tx and am not around any whole foods/trader joes like I am at home. :/ So I have limited access to things like tofu jerky etc.

Ideas anyone? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

A few ideas:

Cereal with soymilk and banana or raisins

Muesli with soymilk or soy yogurt

Oatmeal (If you use instant or quick-cooking oats, you can put them in a bowl, add boiling water, and cover the bowl with a plate for a few minutes. By the time you come back it'll be cooked and ready to go!) with an apple, raisins, a banana, etc

Alternate the tortilla with wholemeal bagels or bread, oatcakes etc + peanut butter and banana (or raisins, apple slices etc for a change)

errr my breakfasts even as lacto-ovo are pretty much always the same, so maybe someone else can add to this? ;D

For snacks, you could try fresh fruit, dried fruit & nuts (trail mix), soy yogurt with granola, raw veg with dip, purchased granola bars (ie. Nature's Harvest are mostly vegan and readily available in most supermarkets), oatcakes or ricecakes with peanut butter, pita & veg with hummus, puddings (some can be made in the microwave: soymilk, cocoa powder, sugar and constarch mixed works well), cereal with soymilk, soy or rice ice cream (or fruit sorbets, which often have no dairy and are easier to find- and cheaper!)

La Dolce Vegan also has a section about cooking in dorms, which might be worth taking a look at. If it turns out that you can't do without certain disallowed kitchen equipment, most universities have a rule that nothing can be moved in the room if anyone looks in it- so if you cover it with a towel or put it in the closet, you're all clear. ;D
#3 Old 12-29-2006, 02:12 AM
Banned

Dorm rules are meant to be broken. Bring in a tierd electric steamer. Cook vegetables and rice at the same time. You can also cook oatmeal in them as well.

You can also consider getting minature crockpot/slow cooker which you can use to cook soups and stews and even oatmeal overnight.

Another consideration is 'Thermos cooking' where you place items in a thermos and add hot water and let sit for a few hours to cook. I used to cook all sorts of things in a thermos and can even share recipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-29-2006, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Thankfully, I lived in self-catered accommodation at university. I'd die without at least some means of frying things. I usually just have cereal with soy yogurt or soy milk and throw in some ground almonds and fruit if I'm not in too much of a hurry (though that doesn't happen very often).

Are you allowed to have a blender for smoothies? You can always get an immersion one and tuck it away in your cupboard when you're not using it. Some of them come with grinder attachments.

Not really breakfast, but you could also grab a can of garbanzos and make hummus with some olives or roasted red peppers from a jar. Walnuts whizzed with bell peppers and garlic make a good spread with a bit of chilli paste, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and stale bread. I suspect sunflower seeds might work too.

Since you can boil water, you could also make instant couscous, bulghur (just throw in some mint, lemon, chopped bell peppers, spices et voilÃ*, you have tabbouleh), cellophane noodles, rice noodles, instant mashed potatoes, mungbean sprouts (a quick soak in hot water will get rid of the "raw" taste).
#5 Old 12-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Banned

suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak suck my steak
#6 Old 12-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I'm excited now.

MrFalafel- could you tell me more about this thermos cooking? Would it work for oatmeal/oat bran?
#7 Old 12-30-2006, 04:52 AM
Banned

You need to get a top quality thermos. Don't get the cheapy ones, only the best for this to be effective.

Oatmeal would be simple. Just add hot water to oatmeal and let sit for a couple of hours. Or better yet, make it up before you go to bed and when you wake up you'll have hot breakfast ready to eat.

Some other meals:

Stew: put stock cube, TVP chunks, thyme, small can of peas etc into thermos add boiling water and let sit for an hour.

Spaghetti Bolognase: instant tomato soup mix (two cup a soups), thin noodles, TVP mince. Add boilng water and let sit for an hour.

Morrocan Thermos Tajine: Cous cous, a dab of orange juice, stock cube, dried apricots cinnamon, garlic granules, TVP chunks, dried onion, dried coriander

Here are some other recipes for thermos cooking taken from the book Sailing

the Farm by Ken Neumeyer. The recipes are all focused on eating on a boat, so thats why theres a sea (and seaweed influence).

Thick Bean Soup

2 cups boiling water

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tbsp vegetable powder/stock

4 cups sprouted beans (lentil, mung, lima, pea etc)

1 tbsp mixed herbs

black pepper to taste.

Grow sprouts to about 1/2 inch or 3 days. Blend 1 cup sprouts with water and stir other ingredients into a thermos. Let sit two hours.

Foragers Soup

6 cups boiling water

1 cup tofu, cubed

1/2 cup white wine

1 cup fresh or soaked seaweed

2 tbsp tomato powder or tomato paste

2 tbsp mixed herbs

1 tbsp onion, chopped

Use dulse, nori, wakame, arame, kombu, etc. Chop fine and add to other ingredients. Let slow cook in a thermos for 2 hours. This is a wonderful soup and can be adapted many ways.

Sea Vegetable Stew

4 tbsp miso paste

4 cups boiling water

2 tbsp nutritional yeast

2 tbsp spirulina algae

1 cup chopped sea vegetables (or any vegetables, really)

1 cup chopped tofu

1/2 cup bean sprouts

2 tbsp chopped onion

put everything except the sprouts, miso and spirulina into a thermos and cook 1 hour. Add remaining ingredients right before serving so as to not destroy their sensitive enzymes and vitamins. Top with a handful of radish sprouts.

Hijiki

2 cups boiling water

2 tbsp chopped onion

2 tbsp dried carrots

1 cup hijiki or arame seaweed

1 tsp mixed herbs

Place everything in a thermos and cook for 1 hour. This can be served plain or is even tastier with chopped nuts and sauce.

Black Beans and Rice

1 cup brown rice

1/4 cup olive oil

1 1/2 cups boiling water

2 tsp mixed herbs

3 cups 2 day black bean sprouts (or any canned beans will do)

2 tbsp chopped onion

1 bay leaf

Place everything but the bean sprouts in a thermos to slow cook for 5 hours or until rice is tender. When cooked, add the bean sprouts and let cook for 30 more minutes to tenderise the bean sprouts. If using canned beans, just put everything in and forget about it for 5 hours.
#8 Old 12-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Mr. Falafel, those are awesome! I go to college that hasn't got anything vegan to eat (unless you count a 2 dollar bowl a lettuce).

This would be great for me also! Now, all I have to do is get a thermos.

Also, are you allowed to have knives in your dorm room nori roll? If so, I like to julliene carrots, green beans and red pepper. Then boil them till they are to your liking. Just shove that on top of some rice or noodles (I like chow mein) and add soy sauce, organic garlic (the little jar stuff) and some oil. Toss and eat! Also whats good with that is some nuts.

Can you fry tofu in your thing? I like taking firm tofu, cut it into rectangles, press it for 20 minutes and then fry in butter and hot sauce. I eat that with some beans and peas and you got a meal!

Well, I hope that helped. If all else fails.. eh.. try, try again?
#9 Old 12-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Beginner

GanyGreenBean- good idea about chopping up veggies and adding them to rice/noodles! Knives are fine to have (as far as I know haha) and I almost always have fresh veggies that I've..borrowed... from the dining hall.

I don't think I could fry tofu but I do think I could probably steam it with some tinfoil and creativity, which is just as good. I love tofu.

And thank you Mr. Falafel for the recipes! I'm definately going to go buy a thermos now!
#10 Old 01-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Get a coffee maker and some Vegan cup a soups. Dr. Mcdougal's soup offers quite a few vegan choices and tastes really good. Just heat the water and your done! You can also make frozen veggies in a coffee maker too. I haven't tried that yet though so be careful with bringing really hot and really cold together or your coffee pot will break. At my college we have a microwave in the Student hangout place thingy. I think its fun to make full course meals in public. I have this microwavable cook pot that I can make almost anything in.
#11 Old 01-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Get yourself an Electric Kettle:

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-WK200W-E...&s=home-garden

--You can boil water in a couple minutes, then add it to whatever you want. Oats, cous cous, noodles, dry soups, etc. Then you have your hot plate for frying stuff.

--Not to mention, you can have tea nearly instantly...

--There are Indian meals you can get in the health food section at most grocery stores, I think they're called Taste of India. But you just heat them and eat 'em. Most are vegan, I think. You'd just need rice or cous cous to go with it.

--You can make grilled hummus sandwiches, which are fantastic. Make the bread the same as you would a grilled cheese, but use hummus instead of cheese.

I never honestly lived in a dorm, but I did live in several houses on a very slim budget, so I''m guessing that's similar. At one point, I had $5 for food for a week...that was rough. Ahh, the Ramen days...
#12 Old 01-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I basically live on different sorts of trail mix, dried fruits, nuts, Clif bars, fruit, and dry cereal (I'm mostly to lazy to get up and put soymilk on it).

Yes, dorm rules are meant to be broken. We aren't supposed to have coffee pots, electric kettles, toasters, whatnot... But I live on the end of the hall and my RA is never around. :P

I have a coffee pot for boiling water, mostly for tea. I finally got up the nerve to buy a toaster last weekend, so I tried to "cook" it first to get the nasty factory chemicals off and it stunk up our room. I was terrified the fire alarm was going to go off, as it has the tendency to in our hall (twice at 4 AM). I had the chance to go home last night, so I finished the desmellifaction process last night, but I haven't used it yet. But this opens whole new dimensions of college dining, such as... TOAST!! Honestly, I'll take whatever I can get.

I cannot wait until I have an apartment next year. I'm going to have so much cooking to make up for...
#13 Old 01-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I basically live on different sorts of trail mix, dried fruits, nuts, Clif bars, fruit, and dry cereal (I'm mostly to lazy to get up and put soymilk on it).

Yes, dorm rules are meant to be broken. We aren't supposed to have coffee pots, electric kettles, toasters, whatnot... But I live on the end of the hall and my RA is never around. :P Definitely utilize a hot pot or electric kettle though, you can do a lot of things with hot water.

I have a coffee pot for boiling water, mostly for tea. I finally got up the nerve to buy a toaster last weekend, so I tried to "cook" it first to get the nasty factory chemicals off and it stunk up our room. I was terrified the fire alarm was going to go off, as it has the tendency to in our hall (twice at 4 AM). I had the chance to go home last night, so I finished the desmellification process last night, but I haven't used it yet. But this opens whole new dimensions of college dining, such as... TOAST!! Honestly, I'll take whatever I can get.

I cannot wait until I have an apartment next year. I'm going to have so much cooking to make up for...
#14 Old 01-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

PS The electric kettle idea is AMAZING! I'm going to have to try that myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page