VeggieBoards banner

Are oreos vegan?

17K views 52 replies 39 participants last post by  Jaali 
#1 ·
I read somewhere they were... The list of (artificial) ingredients is so long that I couldn't figure it out. Yes, yes, I know they are really bad for me, but I just want to know if they are vegan. Thanks!

#2 ·
Got this on the nabisco website, as the ingredients for the original Oreo:

Ingredients: SUGAR, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), HIGH OLEIC CANOLA OIL AND/OR PALM OIL AND/OR CANOLA OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, BAKING SODA, CORNSTARCH, SALT, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), VANILLIN-AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE.

http://nabisco.com/brands/brandlist....Id=78&PageNo=1

(lists the different types, just click on nutrition info under the one you are curious about)

#13 ·
Quote:
so are Newman's Own brand (I forget what they are called, but they come in traditional flavor and mint! YUM).
Mmmm those are so good!
Regular oreos are nice, too.

I believe Nutter Butters are vegan as well, if you're in the mood for more vegan junk food. :]

Quote:
Just because it is vegan does not make it healthy. Eating too much processed foods is bad for you.
The OP stated they didn't care about the health of it. Honestly, what's wrong with having some junk food every once in a while if you're eating healthily the rest of the time?

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

The OP stated they didn't care about the health of it. Honestly, what's wrong with having some junk food every once in a while if you're eating healthily the rest of the time?
Yes, you are right that it was not the intent of the OP to engage in a discussion about the health of oreos.

As far as your question though, I've discovered that when a person does eat very healthfully all of the time, the body actually starts to rebel if they try to do otherwise. That is, a really healthy body will start to reject the things that are bad for it, and a person who is accustomed to eating really healthy could make themselves feel pretty sick from eating oreos, or at least not feeling quite up to par. (I think that is why some of us health-nuts get so repulsed at the very thought of eating junk food.) On the other hand, if you are used to eating junk food, then it doesn't bother you so much, and may even make you feel better.

#16 ·
Quote:
As far as your question though, I've discovered that when a person does eat very healthfully all of the time, the body actually starts to rebel if they try to do otherwise. That is, a really healthy body will start to reject the things that are bad for it, and a person who is accustomed to eating really healthy could make themselves feel pretty sick from eating oreos, or at least not feeling quite up to par. (I think that is why some of us health-nuts get so repulsed at the very thought of eating junk food.) On the other hand, if you are used to eating junk food, then it doesn't bother you so much, and may even make you feel better.
That is true, kind of in the same way that meat, dairy and eggs can make us sick if we accidentally eat them? *shrug* I prefer Alternative Baking Company's cookies to any other prepackaged cookie, anyway. And they're pretty healthy, for cookies at least.

#23 ·
there's actually a lot of vegan chocolate out there...

you can make your own with some cocoa powder, buy chocolate bars (usually look for organic or dark chocolate and some of those are vegan), many chocolate chips are and of course there's chocolate soymilk!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.