Drinking... is it just me? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-21-2006, 11:48 AM

Hello, I've been vegan for about 4-5 months and had never had problems with drinking/being sick the next day. Since I've gone vegan, I always seem to get sick the next day after drinking. I only had a couple of beers last night and this morning I'm not hungover (I don't have a headache or anything) but I feel really nauseaus. It is as if I simply can no longer digest alcohol. Is this normal??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Not at all sure... I never did drink (strange little me, didn't even drink on my 21st birthday!)~ but that's an interesting question!

What did you have to eat before/during the drinking?
#3 Old 12-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know how normal it is, I think your body is trying to tell you not to drink anymore as you've seem to have developed quite a sensitivity to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildD View Post

Hello, I've been vegan for about 4-5 months and had never had problems with drinking/being sick the next day. Since I've gone vegan, I always seem to get sick the next day after drinking. I only had a couple of beers last night and this morning I'm not hungover (I don't have a headache or anything) but I feel really nauseaus. It is as if I simply can no longer digest alcohol. Is this normal??

I switched about the same time as you and have noticed the same thing! I wouldn't go so far as to say "sick," but I definitely feel it more. I've lost a good bit of weight, so that's a factor, but I don't think that accounts for all of it. I'm guessing fat intake has something to do with the way we metabolize alcohol.

Hopefully, Lothar will see this thread and have some answers.
#5 Old 12-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe your body's telling you to drink less. Not none, but not as much.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#6 Old 12-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

My tolerance stayed about the same. For me, it depends on what I've eaten before I drink. If I have say, soup, or something less substantial I tend to get sick. A hearty bowl of rice and beans or something is a different story.

If you've lost weight (as Nigel said) that may certainly be a factor.
#7 Old 12-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post

Maybe your body's telling you to drink less. Not none, but not as much.

I think our bodies are always telling us not to drink! I think the question is, why is it shouting more loudly now that we've gone vegan?
#8 Old 12-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Not all beer is vegan and it filtered with animal products. What kind of beer did you drink?
#9 Old 12-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

I think our bodies are always telling us not to drink! I think the question is, why is it shouting more loudly now that we've gone vegan?

I think the question is, why is our body totally harshing our buzz.
#10 Old 12-21-2006, 12:52 PM

The liver process a lot of fats. Vegan diets are usually way less in fats than the average diet..even the vegetarian diet. I believe the liver gets used to this and doesn't have to work as hard. When you assault it with alcohol it has to work harder to clear your body of the toxins. All of a sudden your liver goes from easy going to working over time. Heck, it may even slightly swell.
#11 Old 12-22-2006, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Brandon, don't see why rice (or even beans) would F~ you Up.... Think how bread is supposed to absorb alcohol and well stuff anyway, and I don't drink as a rule so hard for anyone to believe what I say, but I would think rice to be even better at the absorbtion of stuff like alcohol ?
#12 Old 12-22-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

I think the question is, why is our body totally harshing our buzz.

Stupid sexy body.
#13 Old 12-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA~goth~UK View Post

Brandon, don't see why rice (or even beans) would F~ you Up.... Think how bread is supposed to absorb alcohol and well stuff anyway, and I don't drink as a rule so hard for anyone to believe what I say, but I would think rice to be even better at the absorbtion of stuff like alcohol ?

I think you misread my post VA. I was saying that eating something substantial such as rice and beans is a better thing to eat first, instead of say something like a bowl of soup.
#14 Old 12-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe your body has detoxified itself and it views alcohol as a toxin?
#15 Old 12-22-2006, 04:51 PM

i can't explain it, but i've noticed the exact opposite. for as long as i can remember i'd had an intolerance to most types of alcohol, in particular beer, wine, and sugary mixed drinks. minutes after drinking i'd start feeling severe back, shoulder and neck pain that would last an hour or two, and then i'd feel extremely hung over in the morning, even if i only drank a few drops and wasn't close to getting drunk.

reasonably, i stayed off alcohol for quite awhile. then a year ago (i've been vegan for 2.5) i started drinking a bit of beer as an experiment, and to my surprise i felt no negative effects whatsoever, neither the pain nor the hangovers. i'm still a little sensitive to wine and sweet drinks but not nearly as much.

it's only anecdotal and i have no reason to think my change of diet was the cause, but i guess our bodies just react differently over time. if it has to do with your body adjusting to change it might not be hopeless, yet!
#16 Old 12-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

I think you misread my post VA. I was saying that eating something substantial such as rice and beans is a better thing to eat first, instead of say something like a bowl of soup.

Ah yeah sorry man, I thought you were sayiing rice and beans in the negative, but clearly now you were not.

Cheers man, keep up the rice and beans
#17 Old 12-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't get hung over. Ever. Whatever effects there are going to be, I get them a few hours later, and after that nothing. I nearly killed myself with vodka once and still no hangover.

Why that is, I have no idea.
#18 Old 12-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm noticing a similar problem, WildD. I used to be able to drink like it was going out of style, and be just dandy the next day. I cut down to just wine when I went vegetarian a long while ago, but after going vegan (one month ago), I'm feeling a little off after ONE glass of wine the night before. What gives? I thought my German genes gave me an iron liver for so long, but apparently they have abandoned me.

It was our last bottle in the house with sulfites in it (we're going organic from now on), so maybe that was it? Ugh, I'm waiting for my coffee to kick in.
#19 Old 12-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

I don't get hung over. Ever. Whatever effects there are going to be, I get them a few hours later, and after that nothing. I nearly killed myself with vodka once and still no hangover.

Why that is, I have no idea.

How is that fair?
#20 Old 12-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Ex-*****

I didn't notice any difference. But then I always make sure to eat properly, and I love fatty foods. And I tend not to totally waste myself. To quote from Håvamål, the ever-fascinating old Norse poem about etiquette, proper conduct, etc:

A better burden may no man bear

For wanderings wide than wisdom;

Worse food for the journey he brings not afield

Than an over-drinking of ale.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#21 Old 12-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel View Post

I think our bodies are always telling us not to drink!

Mine's not!!!

In fact, many animal species have been observed to be attracted to alcohol consumption by eating things such as over ripe fruit and fermented grains.

Some believe the genetic desire for alcohol arose long ago in evolution.

Sometimes my body tells me lots of things. Like often it tells me to eat as much fat as possible in case there is a famine. Meanwhile, my frontal lobe which controls impulses tells me not to. Other times, my body tells me to jump into bed with a sexy guy I barely know so that I can reproduce, but my brain fights that impulse, too. Finally, my body has sometimes given me the urge to seriously hurt people I'm mad at. Didn't listen to that part of my body yet either. I especially hate it when one part of my body says sleep while the bladder part says get up and pee.

I think maybe the OP is eating less or perhaps less fats and that may be having an effect on how quickly the alcohol is absorbed.
#22 Old 12-23-2006, 01:28 PM

I've been vegan for 12 yrs and didnt really have a problem when i drank until the last 2 yrs or so. now sometimes when i drink i am violently ill the next day. i wake up the next feeling ok (no hangover) but then my stomach starts to feel more and more upset and i end up throwing up violently all day long. its frustrating because sometimes this happens when i only 3-4 drinks the night before. i dont drink that often, maybe once a week, or so. i understand paying the price if you get really hammered, but to pay such a price for a few drinks sucks. i have been wondering if being vegan has something to do with it, but i have been vegan for many yrs without having such problems. sorry i cant offer you advice, i'm in the same boat.
#23 Old 12-23-2006, 02:11 PM

I miss drinking like I used to..sometimes. I don't miss the sickness and blahs the next day.
#24 Old 12-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Love your post, Thalia!!

I agree, as well - I'd look at calorie & fat consumption, especially in regard to timing. Are you eating lunch then having a beer at 5 without eating anything in between? Are you drinking your dinner? Are you eating a salad & bread roll for dinner then drinking a 6-pack?

etc etc.
#25 Old 12-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Drinkin` its not just for the OP, but it is ALL just for Amy Do I make you sound like alchollic Amy? I suppose from impression you rank among the best peoples the OP to ask I guess.... Do you confess now to being an expert, or do I have to allegate and prevaricate, some more?
#26 Old 12-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

um... what?
#27 Old 12-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

How is that fair?

It's not, I just have powers.
#28 Old 12-24-2006, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont know if mine's related to veg*nism or not.. but yeah I sure as hell don't feel the way I used to after a big SEVERAL NIGHTS IN A ROW PLUS WORK IN BETWEEN of drinking.

UP UNTIL.. THIS WEEK.

When I got some biorevive hangover stopping pills.

HELL YES.

is all i have to say.

I strongly endorse them hahaha.
#29 Old 12-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't drink at all, and hence don't understand this problem.
#30 Old 12-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut View Post

I dont know if mine's related to veg*nism or not.. but yeah I sure as hell don't feel the way I used to after a big SEVERAL NIGHTS IN A ROW PLUS WORK IN BETWEEN of drinking.

UP UNTIL.. THIS WEEK.

When I got some biorevive hangover stopping pills.

HELL YES.

is all i have to say.

I strongly endorse them hahaha.

Do you know what's in them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page