Funny Quote - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-16-2006, 06:35 PM

In yesterday's paper there was a funny quote I wanted to share. It's a section of the paper titled "Who said it?" The quote: "This is where it comes in handy to be a vegan. I don't take up too much space."

The choices being Dennis Kucinich, Kate Winslet, Sylvester Stallone, Lindsay Lohan.

The answer: Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, who is seeking the Dem. nomination for president. He was commenting on how he plans to be at all the debates.

I thought this was cute and had to share. Honestly, I know nothing about the man. But vegan for president Anyway, I did find this link to his site http://www.kucinich.us/.

***I should add I'm not endorsing anyone for president, just thought it was funny.****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Whoa! A vegan in politics?!? Unheard of!
#3 Old 12-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I would imagine he doesn't take up a lot of room because he's rather short, no? : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-16-2006, 09:42 PM

a vegan president...imagine the possibilities
#5 Old 12-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Banned

3. Rep. Dennis Kucinich: Congress' Lone Voice against the AETA

Vegan Congressman releases statement opposing unconstitutional bill

Out of the 100 Senators and 435 Representatives that comprise the United States Congress, Representative Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) is the only one to have voted against the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA) ( http://ga0.org/indefenseofanimals/no...ter_id=4460237 ), a recently-approved bill that threatens Americans' basic civil liberties. As one of the more than 160 members of the Equal Justice Alliance ( http://www.noaeta.org ), a national coalition of social advocacy organizations preserving free speech and equal treatment under the law, IDA strongly supports Congressman Kucinich's efforts to safeguard the right to speak and act lawfully against cruelty to animals. We are therefore proud to present Congressman Kucinich's official position on the AETA in his own words:

Statement of Congressman Dennis J. Kucinich (D-OH) on the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act:

I stand with every Member of the House in defense of the rights of individuals to be free of bodily harm or injury under all and any circumstances. But, the fact of the matter is, existing Federal law already includes any place which does Federal research.

So the question is, why create a new and specific classification here?

We, of course, need to protect peoples' right to conduct their work without fear of assault. But, a larger question remains yet unanswered by this Congress: How should animals be treated humanely?

There are some specific principles with respect to humane treatment of animals but, these do not go far enough. My concern about this bill is that it does nothing to address the real issue of animal protection but, instead targets those advocating animal rights. This legislation will have a real and chilling effect on people's Constitutionally protected First Amendment rights.

I am not talking about people who would threaten anyone with death because they don't agree with them, but there are individuals who love animals, who don't want to see animals hurt, who have a point and a right to speak out. I think for that reason, this bill has not yet reached its maturity.

I understand what the sponsors of this bill are trying to do, but I don't think that they will reach the end they are hoping to achieve unless this Congress makes a clear statement about ethical principles with respect to animals and how we treat animals in research and other enterprise.

These are very serious questions that millions of Americans care about. I understand the intent here, but I think that you must be very careful about painting everyone with the broad brush of terrorism who might have a legitimate objection to research with or treatment of animals that is inhumane.

Bringing up a bill like this under procedures that only allow limited debate, and no amendments, no matter how well intentioned, is problematic.

I am not and never have been in favor of anyone using a cloak of free speech to commit violence. The Supreme Court Justice said, your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose. No one has the right to yell ''fire'' in a crowded theater. We have heard those kinds of admonitions.

I am not for anyone abusing their rights by damaging another person's property or person, but I am for protecting the First Amendment and not creating a special class of violations for a specific type of protest.

Balancing Constitutional concerns against the protection of people and property is never easy. Unfortunately, the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act goes too far in the wrong direction.

What You Can Do:

- Thank Congressman Kucinich for taking a stand for freedom of speech and against animal cruelty ( http://www.kucinich.us/contact ).

- Congressman Kucinich is currently leading a serious effort to push for stronger federal legislation on farm animal welfare. He is compiling a list of all American citizens who want tougher farm animal protection laws which he will present to his colleagues in Congress. Please join his efforts to support humane treatment of farm animals ( http://www.kucinich.us/archive/home/..._cvt_nohfr.cuc ).

- Congressman Kucinich recently declared his candidacy for the President of the United States. Watch the video of his announcement speech ( http://kucinich.us/node/728 ).

- Contact your two Senators and Representative ( http://ga0.org/indefenseofanimals/leg-lookup/search.tcl ) to explain why the AETA should be repealed ( http://noaeta.org/whyoppose.htm ).
#6 Old 12-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Ohhh a vegan president!
#7 Old 12-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Those other three choices...geez! No one would mistake any of those folks for vegans. Ms Lohan is a cokeatarian.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#8 Old 12-17-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Those other three choices...geez! No one would mistake any of those folks for vegans. Ms Lohan is a cokeatarian.

haha....when i was scanning the choices i thought it read alicia silverstone, not sylvester stallone ....i don't know how i made that mistake, but i didn't realize i had misread it until i saw the answer, then i had to go back a re-read it.
#9 Old 12-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefingers View Post

a vegan president...imagine the possibilities

Agreed!
#10 Old 12-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Kucinich's wife seems really nice, a good alternative to the stuck up grandmas that have usually been first wives.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#11 Old 12-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

And people think Ohio has nothing going for it politically...

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#12 Old 12-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

there should be a fat tax anyway!!! / (random lascivious comment)

whatever you said skylark I can't see it, so not in answer to you.
#13 Old 12-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA~goth~UK View Post

there should be a fat tax anyway!!! / (random lascivious comment)

whatever you said skylark I can't see it, so not in answer to you.

Judging by the fat people I see, fat seems to be its own tax.
#14 Old 12-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Can we not do a fat-hate thread again? We've had enough of those.
#15 Old 12-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Banned

Hate to burst your bubbles but Kucinich runs every time. I think he might have finished 13th in the primary once.
#16 Old 12-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

If we really want a vegan president, a bunch of us should move to a small country somewhere else, say, San Marino, and elect Kucinich.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#17 Old 12-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Banned

vegans r all pussy ass *****es. **** the animals, they taste so good to eat. If a vegan was elected president than I would be pissed off. Vegans r 2 big of pussys to protect a country
#18 Old 12-21-2006, 12:23 AM

Maybe we can designate a vegan state. Say Rhode Island, we'll all move there, drive out the carnivores.
#19 Old 12-21-2006, 06:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hillyer View Post

Judging by the fat people I see, fat seems to be its own tax.

Indeed, Zoebird would kill me for a remark like that, I guess I wanna be killed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page