Vegan Retirement - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-25-2006, 09:59 AM

Where do old Vegans go? My partner is 76 and I'll be 67 in a few days. We can't go to a mainstream retirement facility, because we wouldn't want any part of the barbeques and ice cream socials, etc. Is anyone else thinking about this? If you know of any Vegan friendly facilities that aren't too expensive, I'd sure like to hear about them.

Thanks,

catspjs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

That's a really interesting question. I don't know of any facilities, but I found these links that might help you during your research. Good luck!

Article about vegetarians and retirement homes (not vegan, I know, but the only one I found)

Veg Houseing (in the UK)
#3 Old 11-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Banned

catspjs I'm having the same worries. I will be 59 in a few days. If I get sick and need care, there is no place for me to go. Tho I have heard a bit about vegetarian places run by 7th day adventists or whatever.

I try and be careful not to get sick or injured and I hope I never need nursing care.

Right now I am planning to buy a farm and hire younger people to help me work it and I hope it will feed all of us. https://veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=63726

I started a similar thread a while back. Someone put some good links in it, to vegetarian retirement communities.

Personally, I believe we need to "return" to having extended "families" even if they are "adoptive" families rather than biological families. I think this is the only way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I have those worries too (and I'm 26!) I wonder if that's a niche that's open to be filled.... it'll be interesting to look in to.
#5 Old 11-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

My new desceased semi/mostly (Ate fish) veg omi had lots of problems in this area. They would simply serve her the same food as the rest of the nursing home minus the meat. It was too hard for us to monitor being so far away and flying is very expensive. By the time things got better, she died.

Of course this was in Germany where they are less veg friendly then here in the US. Oh BTW, they smoked all around in the nursing homes there.
#6 Old 11-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

That's a really interesting question. I don't know of any facilities, but I found these links that might help you during your research. Good luck!

Article about vegetarians and retirement homes (not vegan, I know, but the only one I found)

Veg Houseing (in the UK)

My wife briefly worked at one of the Veg Housing units in that link. The house had 3 vegetarians and one vegan. All ate and lived very well.
#7 Old 01-08-2007, 09:17 AM

We are doing it on a Yahoo groups site. The group is SeniorVeg.

There will be a discussion at the 6th Annual Compassion for Animals Action Symposium, January 26 - 28, 2007, Regal Palm Resort, 2700 Sand Mine Rd, Davenport, FL (30 miles SW of downtown Orlando). Come to Orlando, raise your awareness of compassionate living and take it back to your community. Join representative from Florida and national organizations in brainstorming sessions. Presented by VegEvents. Contact Chas Chiodo,

(386) 454-4341 or [email protected].
#8 Old 12-07-2009, 02:12 AM
Banned

If you ask me, it depends where you live. If you live in a developing country with politically and economically stable environment and large GDP growth rates, then it does not make sense to invest in pension scheme that seems to me quite risky and can not provide you with appropriate return. Check this with military retirement calculator, if you are unsure. Some solve this problem by investing in offshore banking centers that provide pension financing. If I am not mistaken Bahamas provide quite flexible pension scheme, but the problem is the same as in onshore pension schemes: your return on investment is not appropriate. In both cases you keep funds so that they earn you negative economic profit meaning that you can find better places to invest elsewhere.

Obviously you have a question: ok, I believe you, but where is a better place to invest. I would answer you to invest in real estate. First of all price of real estate increases with GDP and second you can rent out real estate and earn income on that.

Now you may have another question: but I was planning to put away tiny amounts every month and I can not afford buying land or a building. The answer is mortgage: get a mortgage and you can even cover month repayments by the rent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page