Writing a research paper on Veganism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

So, I'm writing a small research paper on veganism. It is really small and only needs to be about 7 pages long. I'm looking for credible sources to answer the question "Is veganism healthy to the human body and to the environment".

What I'm going to try to prove is that you can get all of the nutrients needed for the human body from plant-based sources. I have to use scientific research or common knowledge (such as green leafy vegs have vitamin A and protein). So nothing can really come from vegan.com or anything. I also want to prove that being vegan really does help the environment.

I went with these two points instead of the AR route because I think that these will be something that a broader range of people would take notice on.

Plus, when I turned in my abstract my prof said "oh, I didn't eat meat for about ten years. But then I just HAD TO HAVE SOME MEAT". I just looked kind puzzled. And then he went on to say that he would be interested to see if you can get all of your nutrients on a vegan diet. Sounds like a challenge to me!

Okay, any helpful links or studies you know of, please let me know. I will be googling on my own as well. Thanks in advance for any tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-15-2006, 01:16 PM

This is the BEST place for info on the vegan diet with regards to health:

http://www.veganhealth.org/

Here is a summary of the health research:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/research

Table of Contents for the rest of the site:

http://www.veganhealth.org/sh

Good luck with the paper!!
#3 Old 11-16-2006, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

So, I'm writing a small research paper on veganism. It is really small and only needs to be about 7 pages long. I'm looking for credible sources to answer the question "Is veganism healthy to the human body and to the environment".

What I'm going to try to prove is that you can get all of the nutrients needed for the human body from plant-based sources. I have to use scientific research or common knowledge (such as green leafy vegs have vitamin A and protein). So nothing can really come from vegan.com or anything. I also want to prove that being vegan really does help the environment.

IMHO, your agenda is too broad for a seven-page paper. Your best bet is to not try to conclusively 'prove' anything, but merely discuss the big-ticket items. For example, on the health front, you can discuss the role that saturated fat (largely derived from animal foods) plays in vascular disease. On the environmental front, you can discuss deforestation, herbicide/pesticide usage, and animal waste disposal.

Your prof sounds flaky. I would give him/her a wide berth

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-16-2006, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

This is the BEST place for info on the vegan diet with regards to health:

http://www.veganhealth.org/

Here is a summary of the health research:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/research

Table of Contents for the rest of the site:

http://www.veganhealth.org/sh

Good luck with the paper!!

I agree. I was going to recommend PCRM but then you said you wanted credible sources.

If you want credible, use the references cited on veganhealth.
#5 Old 11-16-2006, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks guys.
#6 Old 11-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

If you have time, you might read The china study. I've heard excelent things about it, altough it's gathered some negative reviews. I just got it from my library yesterday so I haven't gone over it myself.

Like Runswithfoxes said, your topic might be too broad for a seven page paper. Good luck with it.
#7 Old 11-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I know it may indeed be too broad. Maybe I'll just focus on the healthy environment with a few paragraphs explaining how people can get essential nutrients from plants that are commonly thought to only come from animal based foods.

Think that would work?
#8 Old 11-16-2006, 11:06 AM

I think the China Study will be far too complex for a paper such as this. That book is actually a summary of many research studies aimed at defining the role of nutrition in disease and it is considerably controversial.

You may consider starting with a intro-level biochemistry textbook to first layout what nutrients are actually essential for human consumption and why they are essential (i.e. amino acids, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals, etc.) Then research on how much of these nutrients we need each day (search for "dietary reference intakes" in google). Then see if you can find references that show what foods these nutrients can be found in and in what quantities (finding credible scientific sources for this part could be a lot of work, you can try PubMED if all else fails... of course focus on the veggies!).

Tie all those components together, and I think you could have a very nice 7 page research paper (theres definitely plenty to talk about)!

Good luck!!
#9 Old 11-16-2006, 02:35 PM

I should have a few academic papers (have to check) in pdf format. did you want to send me your email add and I'll send what I can?

(note - have to check that I still have these )
#10 Old 11-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

^^ Just let me know if you find them. Thanks for looking.
#11 Old 11-18-2006, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

He 'had' to eat meat? The old Nuremberg excuse...'i vas just following orders'.
#12 Old 11-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ Exactly. Very sad. And really that is all he could say. And when I started going into why veganism was good for you he just sat there and said "oh really, I didn't know that..." with nothing to reply.

I hope my paper can at least make him think about going back to veg.
#13 Old 11-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Beginner

There'a a book, Plant based nutrition and health by Stephen Walsh which may be useful to you.
#14 Old 11-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmmm. It does sound interesting. I will see if my library has it. Hopefully between the county library system and the university they have it, but who knows.
#15 Old 11-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

#16 Old 11-20-2006, 03:08 PM

You should read Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.

It's all explained in there.
#17 Old 11-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks my3sons. I just ordered it from the library. Hopefully it gets there soon!
#18 Old 12-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

UPDATE: I got my vegan paper graded and I got a 99% on it! He must have really liked it. I ended up just going the health route with it because that gave more than enough information as some VBers had guessed.

Thanks for all of your help guys. This thread really helped me to get started on it.
#19 Old 12-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

UPDATE: I got my vegan paper graded and I got a 99% on it! He must have really liked it. I ended up just going the health route with it because that gave more than enough information as some VBers had guessed.

Thanks for all of your help guys. This thread really helped me to get started on it.

Congratulations!
#20 Old 12-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveInGrey View Post

There'a a book, Plant based nutrition and health by Stephen Walsh which may be useful to you.

Agreed.
#21 Old 12-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well done!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page