Adjusting to Veganism update - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-04-2006, 02:16 AM

Thank-you for all of the good advice. After a couple of days, the hunger went away and my knee pain has not come back. In addition, plaque on my teeth has disappeared - without drilling - and an eye twitch that I have had for the past 6 months is gone. This now feels like the natural way to eat. It is interesting to note that I was unable to stay on a vegan program 3 years ago when I made an abrupt switch from meat-eating to no animal products. My body apparently needed to go through a gradual change to the diet. Please suggest cookbooks that offer simple recipies. Thank-you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan With A Vengeance seem to be a popular one. I just bought it along with Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and the Uncheese Cookbook so I haven't tried anything in it yet.

I also have and like:

Vegan Family Favorites

Authentic Chinese Cuisine for the Contemporary Kitchen (All Vegan Recipes)

The New Vegan

Sinfully Vegan

The Candle Cafe Cookbook

The Vegetarian Family Cookbook

Vegetarian - best ever recipe collection

I would suggest going to a bookstore and browsing through the different cookbooks to see if anything pops out at you that you think you might like.

Or even going online to Amazon. That's where I got most of my books.
#3 Old 11-04-2006, 06:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
In addition, plaque on my teeth has disappeared - without drilling

That happened to me, too.

As for cookbooks... I don't even have any myself, so I won't be of much help there.

But here's one I want: Student's go Vegan Cookbook. It's got 135 recipes and I've heard that most of them are really quick and easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

That's very interesting, about the plaque thing....I just made my one year veganversary and my last cleaning was the quickest ever!
#5 Old 11-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan With A Vengeance is an awesome book, BUT not for a novice cook in my opinion. Isa (the author) uses a lot of things like tempeh, quinoa hijiki, and edamame that I don't think a lot of people are familiar with and which can be hard to find.

I think of all my cookbooks this one is the most user friendly:125 Best Vegan Recipes

It uses common ingredients and most recipes are fairly simple.

There a couple of recipes for stuff like Sloppy Joes which is just a regular recipe for Sloppy Joes only using "soy ground meat alternative". Yeah. I don't think I needed to buy a book to figure that out. But most recipes are a little more inspired.

Having said that, this is a recipe for a salad that rocks but which had fake chicken on it. It would be just as good without.
#6 Old 11-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I really like La Dolce Vegan. I LOVE Vegan with a Vengeance but it's more for people who really know their way around a kitchen. Another one of my favorites is the Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas. It's not 100% vegan but most of the recipes have vegan substitutions listed. I think there's only one or two recipes in it that can't be made vegan.
#7 Old 11-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I've found quite a bit of my health problems have gone away simply by changing my diet to veg*n. First my skin seemed to clear up, then the dry scalp I've suffered from my whole life got a LOT better. It's almost completely gone. I haven't had acid reflux/heartburn once since the switch and I used to get headaches/migraines quite often and have had very few since. I'm not saying that this is a miracle cure to all ailments but it's quite amazing what has happened since avoiding animal products. I simply cannot say it has all been coincidence either.

Yay for saving lives and being healthier!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page