Pumpkin Spice at Starbucks - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

If I order a Pumpkin Spice latte made w/ soymilk, would that be vegan?? I don't know if the pumpkin spice stuff is a mix or just a syrup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2006, 09:43 AM

It sure looks like it would be, but you could ask at Starbucks..they should have the ingredients handy.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 10-11-2006, 09:48 AM

the latte might be, but I know for the frappucino they use a powder that has milk in it, I've asked before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Beginner

Pumpkin pie spice is usually made of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and somtimes cloves. As long as they don't add milk powder it should be vegan.
#5 Old 10-11-2006, 04:19 PM

I work at a sbux in nj, and im pretty sure the pumpkin spice isnt vegan, some weird milk powder thing i think. It actualy has a list of ingredients a mile long. Keep in mind that some syrups and other stuff can vary by location, so its best to ask someone at the sbux u go to. Most of the syrups are vegan, theyre usually just flavored syrup. But things like pumpkin spice, white mocha and possibly the caramel sauce usually arent. I'll double check for u tomorrow and let u know.

Oh, also, always make sure u specify that u DO NOT want whipped cream. I swear, I cant get it through my partners heads to ask when people get soy. Anyway, soy and whip cream?
#6 Old 10-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaite1 View Post

I work at a sbux in nj, and im pretty sure the pumpkin spice isnt vegan, some weird milk powder thing i think. It actualy has a list of ingredients a mile long. Keep in mind that some syrups and other stuff can vary by location, so its best to ask someone at the sbux u go to. Most of the syrups are vegan, theyre usually just flavored syrup. But things like pumpkin spice, white mocha and possibly the caramel sauce usually arent. I'll double check for u tomorrow and let u know.

Oh, also, always make sure u specify that u DO NOT want whipped cream. I swear, I cant get it through my partners heads to ask when people get soy. Anyway, soy and whip cream?

Can you check on the syrup for the Maple Macciacho too? I have been curious about that... Thanks!

(Starbucks needs soy whip!!)
#7 Old 10-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I certainly hope it is because pumpkin spice is my spirit drink! It's just a syrup, so I assume it to be vegan. Even the caramel syrup is vegan at the starbucks I frequent, just not the caramel topping.
#8 Old 10-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

It has also been described as having a 'slightly egg aftertaste' which is disconcerting, because eggnog may play a role. In any case, there are substitute recipes here:

http://starbucksgossip.typepad.com/_...mpkin_spi.html
#9 Old 10-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Beginner

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_beverages.asp

According to that page(go to the bottom and click on compare all beverages) it's not vegan(I didnt read the list of ingredients, but all the pumpkin had cholestrol in it, so that means there's some animal product in there.)
#10 Old 10-14-2006, 03:54 PM

if its liquid syrup, then its vegan. If its a sauce, then no its not vegan. Just get a pumpkin spice latte minus the whip and the topping they put on it. It has milk powder in it.

But dont forget that all syrup has a high number of sugar content in it.

*runs*
#11 Old 10-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Beginner

When I do the calculator for a pumpkin latte with soy milk and no whipped creme, I get 0 cholesterol for it.
#12 Old 10-14-2006, 06:45 PM

Hi guys, sorry!! Every day I remind myself to check the label and than I forget as soon as I get to work. I PROMISE I will check. BTW, the syrup actually is a kind of thick sauce, and what goes on top is a cinnamon like powder, but I'll check that, too. Sorry again, I'm just a little forgetful.
#13 Old 10-17-2006, 11:37 AM

So, sorry to break the news but the pumpkin spice syrup is definetely NOT vegan. It has milk powder and sweetened skim milk in it. Sorry guys. The maple seems to be vegan, though. There was nothing I recognized as an animal product in it. Gingerbread is coming out soon, though, and thats just a regular syrup so I'm pretty sure its vegan. I'll let u know. Sbux sux.
#14 Old 10-17-2006, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the heads-up about the pumpkin spice latte not being vegan. There's a Starbucks cafe in my local Barnes & Noble, so I'm often there, drinking coffee with soymilk.
#15 Old 10-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So, sorry to break the news but the pumpkin spice syrup is definetely NOT vegan. It has milk powder and sweetened skim milk in it. Sorry guys. The maple seems to be vegan, though. There was nothing I recognized as an animal product in it. Gingerbread is coming out soon, though, and thats just a regular syrup so I'm pretty sure its vegan. I'll let u know. Sbux sux.

Yeah, I figured as much. Of course, it only ever applies to things I like... I'll just have to use that substitute recipe on the site and make my own I remember ordering one sometime last year and spending a night on the toilet (sensitive to lactose even pre-veg, but I'm 10x worse now)... and yes, it DID come with whipped cream, which I scooped off, even though I asked for soymilk

The A+ at Sunoco gas stations has a mean seasonal pumpkin spice latte/fappe/fancy coffee drink-whatever that also always made me sick so I assumed it contained dairy and had to stop getting them... man, I'm gonna have to bust out the blender...
#16 Old 10-18-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up on this. That's too bad as that is some seriously good shizzle.

The gingerbread is mighty tasty too, though, so that should be a suitable replacement.
#17 Old 10-18-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:

damn, it was pretty good when i had it with soy milk last week. ooh i'm happy to hear about the maple though, i've been wanting to try it!!

and gingerbread sounds delish.

by the way, do you know if the fruit & nut bar is vegan? i keep on forgeting to ask when i'm there. they are really good, 10g of protein, whoo!

um does anyone know about the pumpkin spice soy lattes at second cup? i had one the other day as well, it tasted different from the one at starbucks but they don't put the exact same ingrediants anyway, so i dont know...
#18 Old 10-19-2006, 12:09 PM

We don't have fruit and nut bars at my store, but I think I vaguely remember having them a while ago. Are they packaged? Packaged food should have ingredients on the label, or ask to see the box. If it's unpackaged (in the pastry case), asking a barista is usually pointless. We don't make any of our own food, and most of the stuff comes labelled without ingredients or nutritional info. If you go to starbucks.com you can see calories, etc., but they have no ingredients. If you want to know, you can call 1-800-23latte. Or, you can ask a nice worker if they can call the pastry distributor for their area and get ingredients on a certain product (ask for a supervisor or manager when doing this).

With the other cafe you go to, I would just ask to see the bottle for the pumpkin flavoring. Hope this helps!
#19 Old 10-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Beginner

Would a soy mocha be vegan?

I used to get those a lot. It's just chocolate syrup and steamed soymilk and coffee...right?

I'm guessing if I ordered a gingerbread soy latte that it would be vegan.Hm.
#20 Old 10-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

no, the chocolate syrup isn't vegan.
#21 Old 10-19-2006, 12:54 PM

Pumpkin syrup is not vegan!?!?!? Thanks for the info.. I wanted to try that one of these day. Heck, i'll make my own at home. :}~

The chocolate syrup is not vegan!?!? They lied to me!!! I had it once though.. a hot chocolate with soy milk.

You know... sometimes the baristas dont know what ingredients are deriatives from milk, like whey and casein.

bummer.
#22 Old 10-19-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:

We don't have fruit and nut bars at my store, but I think I vaguely remember having them a while ago. Are they packaged? Packaged food should have ingredients on the label, or ask to see the box. If it's unpackaged (in the pastry case), asking a barista is usually pointless. We don't make any of our own food, and most of the stuff comes labelled without ingredients or nutritional info. If you go to starbucks.com you can see calories, etc., but they have no ingredients. If you want to know, you can call 1-800-23latte. Or, you can ask a nice worker if they can call the pastry distributor for their area and get ingredients on a certain product (ask for a supervisor or manager when doing this).

With the other cafe you go to, I would just ask to see the bottle for the pumpkin flavoring. Hope this helps!

nope they are not packaged.

thanks for the tips !
#23 Old 10-19-2006, 07:59 PM

I'm thinking that when the silknog comes out I could just add some canned pumpkin to it. Then I could mix that up with some pressed coffee and it should work. I've never had one of those, but it sounds good.

I love eggnog in coffee though.
#24 Old 10-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Beginner

Do you know when Silk will come out with the nog? Or is it already out? I heard about it awhile ago but haven't seen it anywhere yet. I'm dying to try it!
#25 Old 10-19-2006, 09:22 PM

I don't know I just bug my Fred Meyer (my local grocery store) and then it suddenly appears. I think it's in November though.
#26 Old 10-19-2006, 09:57 PM

So anyone know what drinks ARE vegan at Starbucks? =/
#27 Old 10-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

soy latte

coffee

tea
#28 Old 10-19-2006, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

soy latte

coffee

tea

Well yeah but I mean specialty drinks...like what syrups are non-vegan? Or how do I find out for myself?
#29 Old 10-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Banned

I got an iced caramel latte yesterday. and today a hot one. They were good. Well the hot was um...kinda gross. but the iced was really good.

I have to find a replacement for my marble mocha macchiato. *sigh*

ETA: Now that my hot soy caramel latte is cold, it's good.
#30 Old 10-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVegan View Post

Pumpkin syrup is not vegan!?!?!? Thanks for the info.. I wanted to try that one of these day. Heck, i'll make my own at home. :}~

The chocolate syrup is not vegan!?!? They lied to me!!! I had it once though.. a hot chocolate with soy milk.

You know... sometimes the baristas dont know what ingredients are deriatives from milk, like whey and casein.

bummer.

Yeah,same here.They told me specifically that there weren't any milk derivatives so I was thinking it was like hershey's chocolate syrup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page