Curry - alternative to Coconut Milks, dairy products - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Beginner

Hi guys

I love a good curry but I cannot find a good alternative to coconut milk.

I tried soya milk yoghurts yet but they curdle.

I got a problem with coconut milk, I just don't like the stuff.

I'm missing rice and peas too!!!

any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acfj View Post

I'm missing rice and peas too!!!

Rice and peas are vegan. What is the problem with them?
#3 Old 09-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:

I tried soya milk yoghurts yet but they curdle.

Have you tried just using soy milk, maybe you could put some cornflour in it to thicken it a bit? I don't know whenther that'd be any good as I haven't actually tried it....could be revolting worth a try though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-05-2006, 04:35 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Rice and peas are vegan. What is the problem with them?

Rice and peas are made with coconut milk
#5 Old 09-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Rice and peas are made with coconut milk

Huh? Post your recipe and I'm sure suggestions for substitutions will be made. I would say just use some other liquid such as soy milk. You won't get the same flavor but that's the sacrifice.

Also, not all curries use coconut milk. The only curry I make where I use coconut milk is Korma. I'm sure you could search the web for curry recipes that don't use coconut milk at all.
#6 Old 09-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Beginner

Sorry guys

Rice and peas is a west indies dish made with kidney beans and rice, traditionally cooked in clove, garlic, thyme, all spice and coconut milk. My message was requesting an alternative to coconut milk.

I have used soya milk and soya yoghurts before in curries and rice and peas. The problem is its curdles - badly.

But it is a bit random. Sometimes it curdles, sometimes it doesn't.

I am aware that a good curry can be cooked without curd or yoghurt, but I like the creamy sauces. I've yet to find a substitute for either that didn't curdle.
#7 Old 09-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Beginner

Yoghurt will (usually) curdle is you heat, but you can stabilize it by adding something floury. Use cornflour if you want a flavorless stabilizer. Lots of indian recipes use besan (chickpea/garbanzo bean flour) as a stabilizer for yoghurt 'curries', but this does have a (very nice!) flavour of its own. Simply mix some (like a teaspoonful) with a little bit of yoghurt to make a thin paste, then stir it into the rest of the yoghurt simmering in the pan. Also make sure that the heat is low (you just want things to heat, not boil), and you stir in one direction only: both of these things helps stop the curdling.

BTW, do you mind me asking what you don't like about coconut milk? If its the consistency, then try using different brands: there is a huge difference between different tinned coconut milk I've tried. Or try coconut cream (which you get in a block and then grate into hot water). I think vegan soy cream would also be a better bet for a creamy curry then yoghurt.
#8 Old 09-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Some curry dishes don't need coconut milk. How about substitute with veg broth? The curries in Chinese restaurants don't use coconut milk and they are pretty good.

I don't like to use coconut milk because of the calories and I never know what to do with the rest of the can after I use a couple of tablespoons! It seems like a waste.
#9 Old 09-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

i usually make curry's with a tomato base. i can only think of korma that uses coconut milk, and i can't stand the stuff, so i've never bothered trying to find an alternative. i use finely ground hazlenuts or cashews when i want a thicker, creamier (sort of) texture tho
#10 Old 09-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Beginner

Two great recipes for coconut milk haters (what? they are such people?!) out there:

Triple A seitan veg curry http://www.naughtycurry.com/home/200...o_coconut.html

Creamy creamless green beans http://www.naughtycurry.com/home/200..._creamles.html
#11 Old 09-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I often use soft silken tofu blended up and this works really well.
#12 Old 09-06-2006, 03:24 AM
Beginner

I love that naughtycurry website.

Will try the chickpea flour trick!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page