Vegan FoodPyramid - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 08-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

I thought the main reason the government pushed milk was because the Dairy Industry pays them millions of dollars to do so.

Totally.

Milk is actually a bad source of calcium because the body uses all the calcium in milk plus more to digest the protein that's in the milk. So it actually leeches calcium out of the body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 08-09-2006, 06:45 PM

so why doesnt somone eles write up a more fitting vegan food pyramid?

someone with good art skills of course. We should vote on the best one here. Whos up for it?
#33 Old 08-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Food pyramids generally neglect the fact that most foods fit into multiple categories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 08-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Since when is a bowling ball a legume?

And are we allowed to disagree with this thing...or is this thing set in stone?

Cheers!

TJ

You made me laugh.

I think that would be classified a SEED. LOL. A big coconut seed.
#35 Old 08-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate food pyramids... are we REALLY expected to eat that much food??? I don't know if I could eat that many servings of anything no matter how hard I tried. And wow, it'd take a lot to eat an entire bowling ball! haha

I'd love to see someone make a more accommodating pyramid that could adapt to the vegan lifestyles of people who don't have the time (or stomachs) to eat so much/afford everything "needed" for every meal/etc... blahblahblah... I mean, I do the best I can, but I'm still iffy about if I'm getting my proper nutrients, etc... which is something I really need to concentrate on. All the info. I've read along w/stresses I've been under make my head wanna explode!!!

So, back2square1, I'm totally up for it. I hope more ppl will be, too. This will be very interesting!
#36 Old 08-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it would be best if food labels stated how many servings of each food category 1 serving of the product contains. For example, a microwaveable vegan burrito would state that it was 1 grain, 1 protein, and possibly .5 fat. That way people don't have to try to figure out how many ounces of beans were in their burrito. Of course this labeling system would have to have strict regulations.

~Wonder
#37 Old 08-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I would never let a shape tell me what to eat.

Cheers!

TJ
#38 Old 08-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wonder View Post

I think it would be best if food labels stated how many servings of each food category 1 serving of the product contains. For example, a microwaveable vegan burrito would state that it was 1 grain, 1 protein, and possibly .5 fat. That way people don't have to try to figure out how many ounces of beans were in their burrito. Of course this labeling system would have to have strict regulations.

~Wonder

Actually, I think someone, maybe the American Diabetes Association, has been doing something very much like that for years. I found this page at the ADA site talking about it. I know I've seen exchange info on packaged produtcts before, but I'm not sure how widesread it is. Of course, their idea of the food groups everyone "needs" to eat are pretty ridiculous.
#39 Old 08-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=4EverGrounded]Wow. Talk about off their nut.

Calcium from 100gr of whole milk - 276mg (28% RDA)

Quote:
Calcium from 100 gr dried seaweed agar - 625 mg (63% RDA)

Calcium from 100 gr of raw Roselle - 215 mg (22%)

Who eats these?

Quote:
Calcium from 100 gr sesame seeds, roasted and toasted - 989 mg (99% RDA)

Having many, many times the calories of .375 cups of milk

Quote:
Calcium from 100 grams of Raw, firm tofu - 683mg (68% RDA)

Only if coagulated with calcium salts, IOW fortified.
#40 Old 08-11-2006, 05:26 AM
Veggie Regular

well, remilardy, people who eat and cook at home use agar. i know i am not the only one. not sure what roselle is.

as for the tofu, i think most humans are capable of reading their package to see if the one they buy is fortified or not.
#41 Old 08-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I am just wondering, why is the coconut in the legume group? I thought coconuts were fruits.
#42 Old 08-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

I am just wondering, why is the coconut in the legume group? I thought coconuts were fruits.

I thought coconuts were seeds.
#43 Old 08-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Banned

I thought coconuts were people who were crazy about chocolate?
#44 Old 08-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

I thought coconuts were people who were crazy about chocolate?

You're hilarious! BTW, I am definitely a cocoanut, that's for sure!
#45 Old 08-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually like the Vegetarian Food Guide Rainbow. It's certainly not as pretty as the pyramid, but it makes allowances for the fact that foods other than milk have calcium. And it allows those foods to count as two food groups ("calcium rich" as well as whatever other group they belong to - for example: 1 cup cooked broccoli counts as both a caclium rich serving as well as a vegetable serving).
#46 Old 02-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed12aho View Post
Are you interested in human nutrition research? Would you like to take part in a research survey investigating your perceptions of different foods?

This research is being carried out by the Appetite Control and Energy Balance research group, School of Psychology, University of Leeds.

The survey will present 15 images of common foods and ask you to answer 7 questions about each one. There will also be three short pages measuring your eating behaviour and general health.
The survey should only take 15-20 minutes of your time and will provide us with invaluable useful scientific data that will allow for important advances in human appetite research.
If you wish to take part, please follow this link:

https://leedsaceb.eu.qualtrics.com/j...iyhTeL992mG6YR

Upon completion you will be given the opportunity to enter a prize draw to win £30. You are strongly encouraged to share this email with your friends and family.
This survey has been granted ethical approval by the School of Psychology Ethical Review Committee, University of Leeds, reference number 15-0351, date 4-12-2015

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the researchers listed below.
Many thanks in advance for your time, your responses are extremely valuable.
Cecilia Long
[email protected]
That sounds interesting. Do you have to live in the UK to participate?
#47 Old 02-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post
You may be familiar with the "old" food pyramid - the one with the animal flesh and dairy products well represented in the pyramid. The original pyramid had carbohydrates and bread products at the bottom, meaning that this was the largest recommended food group for an average diet, and fruit and vegetables next higher in the pyramid.

Here is a different food pyramid - one designed for vegans. As you can see, carbs and produce have switched places.

http://www.veganfoodpyramid.com/

This is a picture of the original USDA food pyramid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:U...od_Pyramid.gif

The food pyramid is difficult to use, which is why the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services abandoned it in 2010. Newer food guides (both omnivorous and vegetarian) use a "Plate" diagram, like this one:

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 02-02-2016 at 01:41 PM.
#48 Old 02-03-2016, 11:57 AM

This is awesome, thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page