Are MCdonalds/burger kings fries/ onion rings vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-23-2006, 07:30 AM
MJZ

In case im out and want an unhealthy but at least vegan snack

d

I guess they only meat product would be possibly what they fry it in? and maybe somthing in the breading of onion rings likle egg? idk lol

If anyone knows if either of these are vegan please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2006, 07:34 AM

I usually go to restaurants' websites to find ingredient information. If you have any questions about specific ingredients, the VBers here will be glad to help you
#3 Old 06-23-2006, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular

McDonald's fries are not vegan or vegetarian. The "natural flavoring" contains beef and dairy extracts.

Here's the McD's ingredients page:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_control...nts.index.html

BK's fries and onion rings appear to be vegan. Their ingredients list is more helpful than most, as they are careful to point out their natural flavors are from plant sources. They are also very clear that their veggie burger is NOT vegan, and is cooked in the microwave. But I should add that I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to mysterious food additives, and those onion rings are full of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-23-2006, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

on the BK site it lists "gelatinized wheat starch" as an ingredient in the onion rings. I'm not really sure if that means geletin but it looks doubtable.
#5 Old 06-23-2006, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think it means they literally add gelatin. To gelatinize something simply means to make it more like gelatin in structure, which is a matrix of long interlocked molecules. It can be done in a number of ways, and while it can be done by acually adding gelatin, I think they woud have to list the gelatin as a separate ingredient.

Edit: BTW, I just noticed this on the VRG website:

Quote:
Is the ingredient known as pre-gelatinized wheat starch vegetarian?

According to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives: "When starch and water are heated the starch molecules burst and form a gelatin."

According to The Dictionary of Food Ingredients it is a starch that has been created by swelling wheat in cold water. It is also known as gelatinized wheat starch.

According to Food Chemistry: "Pregelatinized flour is made from ground cereals....and is sometimes blended with guar flour or alginates."

It appears to be a completely vegetarian product.

#6 Old 06-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

You gotta keep in mind that some restaurants and fast-food places fry their french fries and onion rings in the same vat of oil that they fry chicken strips etc. That's why you ask, as previously suggested.
#7 Old 06-23-2006, 01:24 PM

Burger King's "veggie burger" is from Morningstar Farms, whose products are not vegan. (At least at our local Burger King).

I would have bet the farm that Burger King fried everything in beef tallow. Are you sure about your information, Tesseract?
#8 Old 06-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davoarid View Post

Burger King's "veggie burger" is from Morningstar Farms, whose products are not vegan. (At least at our local Burger King).

I would have bet the farm that Burger King fried everything in beef tallow. Are you sure about your information, Tesseract?

Yeah you can't even trust the veggie burgers there. They are cooked and prepared in the same area as the meat.
#9 Old 06-23-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenoughtoroc View Post

You gotta keep in mind that some restaurants and fast-food places fry their french fries and onion rings in the same vat of oil that they fry chicken strips etc. That's why you ask, as previously suggested.

Good point. I avoid fast food restaurants like the plague, because I never know what they cook their stuff with/in (and it's unhealthy, anyway. )
#10 Old 06-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Aside from it being unhealthy, do you really want to support these dining establishments considering their ethics?!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 06-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davoarid View Post

I read the ingredients directly off their website. I would have linked it, but it's all this annoying flash crap and it seems to be impossible to link directly to the ingredient page. Of course reading the ingredient list itself doesn't tell you anything about the oil they fry it in. I didn't see anything about that. Their main site is www.bk.com. Feel free to double-check me.

But regardless of what the website says about their frying materials and practices, you can't really trust it anyway, from what I hear, since many individual locations apparently disregard chain policy.

Edit: OK, I looked again and it does say all BK's fried products are fried in partially hydrogenated vegetable shortening (hey, nobody had any illusions this was healthy, right?), french fries are fried in their own fryer, but onion rings are fried together with pork, chicken and fish.
#12 Old 06-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Tess is correct, Burger King's fries and onion rings are both vegan now (years ago neither one was) and the fries are cooked in their own frier for those worried about cross-contamination.

The BK Veggie patty is not vegan because of egg whites, but they do cook them all in the microwave now for those concerned with cross-contamination.

McDonald's products all contain beef flavoring.

Wendy's fries are vegan, but are cooked in shared oil.
#13 Old 06-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Tess is correct, Burger King's fries and onion rings are both vegan now (years ago neither one was) and the fries are cooked in their own frier for those worried about cross-contamination.

The BK Veggie patty is not vegan because of egg whites, but they do cook them all in the microwave now for those concerned with cross-contamination.

McDonald's products all contain beef flavoring.

Wendy's fries are vegan, but are cooked in shared oil.

Well, where were you six hours ago? You could have saved us a lot of running around! :hands on hips:

So what about Jack in the Box, Mr. Knowledgeable?
#14 Old 06-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure about the Jack-in-the-box fries but you can get the Southwest pita without the chicken. It's yummy.
#15 Old 06-23-2006, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember vaguely some controversy about mcDonalds in India where they claimed that "Mcdonalds tastes the same all over the world because we use the same flavourings everywhere" and Hindus rioted because they were told that fries were beef free but then they turned out not to be. I remember reading somewhere (Fast Food Nation???? maybe) that fries had no beef/dairy in countries with high Hindu populations but were fried in beef tallow in countries like Mexico where it was considered more "macho" to eat things like that. I always assumed that fries in the US were not OK and fries in the UK were OK but now I'm not so sure (and I only eat Mcdonalds fries every 6 months or so anyway)

Anyone else heard of this or am I just completely mad?

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#16 Old 06-23-2006, 03:07 PM

I did my research and McFries are definitely not vegetarian (beef products added).
#17 Old 06-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Well, where were you six hours ago? You could have saved us a lot of running around! :hands on hips:

So what about Jack in the Box, Mr. Knowledgeable?

I can't help that I survive on fast food. (Well, I could help it, but who would want to!?)

Sorry, there are no Jack In The Boxes where I live, so I've never bee to one or looked to see what they offer. Most fast food restaurants do put complete ingredient listings on line these days though.

Spider, McDonald's has their ingredient listings online for every country they are in. The fries in the US and Canada have beef flavoring. The fries in the UK are vegan. Those are the only countries I've looked at, since that question comes up so often, but you could find out about more countries by going to their website.
#18 Old 06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

As some have said, you really can't trust McDeath, Murder King, or their greasy associates. It also depends what country you're in, who owns and manages the franchise and how much they care, and how careful they are. I can't stand the smell of those places of ill repute....
#19 Old 06-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.shapefit.com/mcdonalds.html

I absolutely cannot believe I used to put that many calories into my body. Disgusting..

EDIT:: Oh, and for more..

http://www.shapefit.com/fastfood.html
#20 Old 06-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

One thing to keep in mind is that fast food companies change their ingredients fairly frequently, so it's good to visit their website for up-to-date information before going somewhere. All the ingredients and nutritional information is right on the website.
#21 Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 AM

None of it is vegan for sure. And prepped in the same area as the meat. The onion rings probably have dairy, and who knows whats been in that grease!
#22 Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Banned

Wow a thread from 2006!
#23 Old 04-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Wow a thread from 2006!

Necro threads are scary, I was apply to reply to the OP, lol.
#24 Old 04-20-2010, 09:38 AM

In Canada Mcdonald's fries are vegan. They don't contain any beef seasoning.
#25 Old 04-22-2010, 03:23 AM

i agree with the others burger king and mcdonalds cook all of their products in animal fat.

i do not buy ANY of their products considering the ethnics !

i will not even buy a drink.
#26 Old 04-22-2010, 03:43 AM
Administrator

This thread is 4 years old. I'm going to close it.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page