Cheated on my Vegan diet. *cry* - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-13-2005, 03:52 PM

I bought cheese whiz for my crispy fries. I'm so mad at myself. I was all proud of having bought a chocolate soy milk that didn't taste like pond water, and then I broke down. I don't know if I can DO this! I'm so used to just walking to the corner store and picking up some things. I'm weak. I'm tired, I've been under the weather, and I just needed some CHEESE! Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2005, 03:55 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

First: don't be too hard on yourself. Veganism is worth doing, but it's tough.

Second: AccidentalVeg started a weaning-off-dairy SUPPORT thread. OH- I found it... it's in this forum (I don;t know if this link will work):

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=36734

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#3 Old 07-13-2005, 04:00 PM

Do what makes you happy. If you need some cheese, then eat some cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't feel bad! When I first went vegan I had a bunch of slip ups. Now I have been vegan for 3 years and it is as natural as breathing. My advice would be to prepare for situations when you might slip. If cheese is your downfall (as it was for me) there are substitutes and recipes that are out there. They might not be exactly the same as the real thing but they are tasty just the same.

Try this cookbook for cheese recipes

http://www.vegsource.com/jo/books/ultimate.htm

Here is a list of mainstream vegan stuff that you can find easily

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

And congratulations for all of the steps you have already made towards veganism!
#5 Old 07-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

One thing that helped me with commitment was to research the dairy industry. Even though I already knew all that stuff, reading about it again and seeing photos helped me strengthen my resolve.
#6 Old 07-13-2005, 07:15 PM

You're human. You make mistakes. You get back up, start over again. Don't beat yourself up about it. Trust me, alot of folks slip up - just do the best you can.
#7 Old 07-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Mistakes happen to everyone.

I tend not to think of this as cheating or whatever. Focus on what your values are and use that as a compass that guides your thinking and choices. It will help make your preferred actions clearer in the moment of choice.
AmandaShea likes this.
#8 Old 07-13-2005, 09:39 PM

Take your time. No one's perfect. Maybe you should get used to soymilk before you cut out cheese too? If the steps you're taking are so big for you that you're falling off of them than make them smaller. I believe there's a vegan version of cheese whiz out there as well. Maybe find some vegan treats that you can get on occasions, when you're feeling blue or whatever? It helps to not feel deprived.
#9 Old 07-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Veganism is a journey. How long ago did you make the switch? It takes time to change your old habits, and find new comfort foods. It may seem like you did a horrible thing, but it's not that bad. Accept that you still like cheez whiz, and try to find a substitute for it.
#10 Old 07-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I was reading in VegNews about a a company called Play Food. They make raw, organic, vegan squirt condiments. They have a take on Cheez Whiz called Silly Cheez. The site is www.playfood.org which shows you the different products, but you can't order from it yet. You can email and call though. Don't make the mistake and go to playfood.com like I did; that's a naughty website.
#11 Old 07-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't beat yourself up!! I've been vegan for 4 months and i've had a few slip-ups. I just let it go and moved forward. Mistakes happen, no one is perfect.
#12 Old 07-14-2005, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Smile at all the good you are doing Don't focus on the mistakes or even intentional slip ups. For some veganism is easy, for others it is harder.

I have been vegan for about 3 years and still do the odd intentional slip up...and I'm not talking about ordering cheese with something! I know myself well enough now to know that once every 6 months or so I will get so depressed (clinical depression blak) and so angry at myself and the world that I go " what the f'n difference is it going to make anyway blah blah bahhumbug" and I'll find myself with a chicken burger in hand (pre-vegan days comfort food). Mostly though I end up shocked at myself , give the chicken to my dog...cry...and re-strengthen my resolve to be vegan.

We are all human...and as far as I am concerned it is better to be vegan with the odd stuff up (intentional or otherwise) than to give up on your ideals just because you were too hard on yourself.

Humanity is fallalble...we will make mistakes, we will cheat, we will be sneaky. The thing to do is acknowledge that, strive for the best you can be, and forgive your errors.
#13 Old 07-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I've found myself at the Krispy Kreme drive through more than once since I became Vegan. It happens. I found out that I was doing it because I was consistently driving past the place when I was hungry. So I have started bringing an afternoon snack to work in addition to my lunch. If I'm still hungry on the way home, I drive a different route and have a nice toasted PB&J when I get to my house.

I think as you grow in the Vegan lifestyle, you start finding good substitutes for the non-Vegan foods you crave. When I want cheese, I have some mac and chreese, something with avodado or mac and chreese with avocado diced up in it. I don't even crave the cheese anymore; I crave mac and chreese or avocado or both instead. The longer you have been Vegan, the more foods you will find that effectively substitute the foods you are used to eating until those substitutes just beome the foods you are used to eating.
#14 Old 07-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

You do need to watch getting hungry if temptation's a problem for you. Steaks, roast, and chicken (aka what I used to eat) all sound good if I am hungry enough. Carrying snacks with you so that food is available is always a good thing to do.
#15 Old 07-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

You do need to watch getting hungry if temptation's a problem for you. Steaks, roast, and chicken (aka what I used to eat) all sound good if I am hungry enough. Carrying snacks with you so that food is available is always a good thing to do.

That is so true. I almost never have cravings except when I am starving and walking through a grocery store. I still don't crave meat, but I find myself eyeing the pizzas or some other sort of thing. Once I get home and eat, tho, I am fine and back to my senses.

Hey, I know being vegan is a process and I know everyone defines their own diet; I still have a hard time understanding how someone calls oneself a vegan when they eat Krispy Kremes all the time. I'm smiling because I am not trying to be dogmatic or start an argument, it is just a slight bemusement.

(Not that you said you eat them all the time, MRSSHF!! Sorry.)
#16 Old 07-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been a Vegetarian for over 13 years and a Vegan for about 2-3 months.

Lately I've been craving cheese like MAD! I've come to the conclusion that in order to do the most good for animals and the environment that I will allow myself to eat one non-vegan meal per week. I cannot stand any of the chreese foods or the fake cheeses that I have tried. They're just plain gross to me.

This will allow me to deal with the cheese cravings and feel like I'm "being naughty" while not having a large impact on my overall animal product consumption (I used to eat a LOT of cheese).

I'm comfortable with this as a temporary solution and know that in time I will be able to spread out the time between the non-vegan meals and eventually eliminate them all together. For me, planned "cheating" works far better than falling off the wagon and feeling guilty about it later...that just leads to my giving up on it for awhile and doing a lot more than just "cheating" on occassion.

Will I still consider myself a Vegan? Yes. Is it entirely accurate? Nope, but I also bite my nails sometimes and I wasn't going to allow that to change my dietary title, either. While I'm sure some would criticize these choices (both to eat a little non-vegan food on occassion and to call myself a Vegan while doing so), I'm not one to care about what others think of me too much. I do what's right for me and you should do what's right for you. If having an occassional non-vegan item is what helps to keep you Vegan the other 95% of the time, then go for it. It's FAR better than giving up on Veganism entirely.
#17 Old 07-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I can totally understand that, when I go out to eat I think I seek what has cheese just so I can eat it, although I buy vegan at the store it's harder when at a restaurant.
#18 Old 07-15-2005, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkace View Post

Yeah I can totally understand that, when I go out to eat I think I seek what has cheese just so I can eat it, although I buy vegan at the store it's harder when at a restaurant.

Perhaps you could limit how often you go out to eat. This will help reduce your cheating, I would guess....since that seems to be a big trigger for you.

All I'm saying is that we all have triggers that make us want to cheat. If you reduce your exposure to them or preset some allotted cheating meals you'll be better able to stick to your diet without feeling as guilty.
AmandaShea likes this.
#19 Old 07-15-2005, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post

Hey, I know being vegan is a process and I know everyone defines their own diet; I still have a hard time understanding how someone calls oneself a vegan when they eat Krispy Kremes all the time. I'm smiling because I am not trying to be dogmatic or start an argument, it is just a slight bemusement.

(Not that you said you eat them all the time, MRSSHF!! Sorry.)

Just to clarify, I said I slipped up more than once. I do not eat Krispy Kreme all the time. I no longer eat Krispy Kreme at all. I had a problem with Krispy Kreme because of poor willpower, hunger and the fact that they pump the smell out into the streets.
#20 Old 07-17-2005, 02:22 PM

Its alot more difficult when you HAVE to eat everything in your cupboard that you buy, or risk going hungry for a while. Next month will be better. I'll start fresh, right from scratch, with my 1st of August cheque. I need to find a soycheese that I'll like. Or at least a soycheese pizza product that isn't too bad. Or something like that. Hmm, Sobeys will be setting up a tent for me in their organic section. XD
#21 Old 08-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Beginner

People make mistakes. Start over
#22 Old 08-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSHF View Post

Just to clarify, I said I slipped up more than once. I do not eat Krispy Kreme all the time. I no longer eat Krispy Kreme at all. I had a problem with Krispy Kreme because of poor willpower, hunger and the fact that they pump the smell out into the streets.

Man, those stores are evil. I used to crave KFC because of the smell they pumped out; recently, I walked by one and I--no joke--almost threw up. I've had it bad with smelling meat since I went vegan, but that was the worst.
#23 Old 01-06-2014, 02:06 PM

I am not new to veganism but I did something terrible today and I feel horrible... I ordered a medium pizza (with cheese), as well as lava cakes from Dominos and then I ate all of it in one sitting. I don't know what got over me... I feel so guilty and disgusting. I found this forum because I needed a place to confess to this awful act...While I am at it, I will also talk about last week when I ordered seafood noodle soup at a Chinese restaurant. Maybe after sharing this in writing, I will be stronger and less indulgent in the future...

Thanks for reading... Before saying that it is okay to make mistakes, I have to say that it is not okay (to me). This needs to stop. :(

#24 Old 01-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaShea View Post

I am not new to veganism but I did something terrible today and I feel horrible... I ordered a medium pizza (with cheese), as well as lava cakes from Dominos and then I ate all of it in one sitting. I don't know what got over me... I feel so guilty and disgusting. I found this forum because I needed a place to confess to this awful act...While I am at it, I will also talk about last week when I ordered seafood noodle soup at a Chinese restaurant. Maybe after sharing this in writing, I will be stronger and less indulgent in the future...

Thanks for reading... Before saying that it is okay to make mistakes, I have to say that it is not okay (to me). This needs to stop. :(

Well then come on board to Veganville!!!!!

I mean, Veggieboards! Welcome:hi: 

BTW - lava cakes from Dominos sound pretty awful. Robin Robertson's- 1000 Vegan Recipes has a magical mystery chocolate cake that is a vegan tunnel of fudge! 

AmandaShea likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#25 Old 01-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:

As Silva says - welcome to the fold!  I hope your post is cathartic (and yes, it really is okay to make mistakes as long as you learn from them x)

https://www.veggieboards.com/t/144334/have-you-ever-fallen-off-the-vegan-wagon-why

AmandaShea likes this.
#26 Old 01-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Amanda, make sure you're eating enough food. It's really easy to get full on vegan food yet still not be getting nearly as many calories as the customary omni or lacto-ovo veg. It sounds like pent up hunger! smiley.gif

And don't beat yourself up about it. We live and learn, change and grow. smiley.gif
#27 Old 01-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There are homemade vegan pizzas you can have; just omit the cheese. Order a veggie soup from the Chinese take out place, as well. Check to make sure they use a veggie broth instead of fish/chicken/beef broth. I'm going against your wishes in one regard, and that it is okay to make mistakes. Everyone in the world has made mistakes, and it's nothing to be ashamed of.  

AmandaShea likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#28 Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 PM

Wow, everyone. Thank you for your kind replies-- they are very much welcomed and appreciated. 

#29 Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Slip ups happen. I know you said mistakes aren't okay for you, but remember that dairy is addictive. You are an addict. So cut yourself enough slack to forgive yourself that mistake. You're new, we all make mistakes. You are working through the hardest part; veganism gets a lot easier as it becomes normal. Your old cravings get replaced by new vegan ones. It is very important to find new fixes for your old cravings if you want to stick to veganism. Colleen patrick-goudreau writes a lot about this, or you can start a thread asking vb users how to replace an old fix. And remember even with a slip up or two you are still doing something fantastic for the planet, the animals, and your body. Welcome to veggie boards wink3.gif. This site is great, it has helped me stick to veganism on several occasions.
#30 Old 01-13-2014, 01:18 PM

Thank you, Natty, for that. I believe I found my new forum! I will definitely try to come more often! :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page