VeggieBoards banner

What is your favourite gluten-free vegan bread recipe?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Tom 
#1 ·
What is your favourite gluten-free vegan bread recipe?

Please share recipes you've tried and know work well (or recipe experiments that have almost worked out for you, but might need a bit of tweaking).

I'm also curious about making homemade flours rather than buying commercial ones with preservatives and fillers. Do you know what glutne-free grains and in what ratios I might use? For example, 1 part ground rice with 1 part oats, etc.?

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Whoa! I didn't know there was such a thing! The bread I make is vegan, but I normally use at least half white bread flour or whole-wheat flour. I pack my bread with lots of rolled oats or rye, but without the gluten from the wheat it wouldn't hold together. If you'd be happy with some sort of flatbread, you've got a lot more options.

Now that I'm thinking about it, there probably are recipes for vegan gluten-free bread: veganism is far more well-known than it used to be, and so are gluten-free diets. I don't think the commercial flours I use (King Arthur, Gold Medal, etc) have preservatives, unless you get bleached white flour, which is treated with some sort of chemical to bleach it. You can purchase whole grains (such as rye "berries") at health food stores; they'll probably be willing to do a bulk order of such things if you don't mind buying a 30-50 pound bag. As for making homemade flours, there are grinders you can get. I've heard that a blender will work for making flour out of whole grains, but it's awfully hard on the blender- you'd be better off acquiring a grinder made for that purpose. It would be cheaper long-term than buying a blender every year or two.

(About rye: I can't remember if it's gluten-free, although I know it doesn't have as much gluten as wheat.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.