VeggieBoards banner

"Just Egg" vegan egg substitute

Tags
eggs
24K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Brittbey 
#1 ·
After DECADES of trying to find a suitable vegan egg substitute, and thoroughly disappointed in everything I had tried, I have stumbled on "Just Egg". When I first saw the packaging, I thought it was... just eggs, and was about to ignore it. But then I saw "Plant Based" in small letters on the bottle.

It pours out and cooks just like scrambled eggs. After cooking, it looks just like scrambled eggs. And it tastes just like scrambled eggs, especially after I put a little "black salt" on it, to give a hint of the sulfur flavor of real eggs.

And it is nutritionally similar to real eggs. Real egg: 78 calories, 6 g protein, 5 g fat, 0.6 g carbs. Just Egg: 70 calories, 5 g protein, 5 g fat, 1 g carbs. Of course, no cholesterol in Just Egg.

Its main ingredient is mung beans.

The bad part is, it's a little on the expensive side. $8 for 8 servings.

#2 ·
So I have an unopened bottle of this in the fridge that I realize is a few weeks past its sell by date. Or use by date, whatever. Think I'll be OK, or should I dump it? As noted...it's not cheap and I'd cry pouring eight bucks down the sink.

I guess if you don't hear from me in the near future, I died of Just Egg poisoning.

#4 ·
I'll have to look for this, as I do miss eggs but can't accept the bad treatment hens have to go through. $1 per serving is a lot, but probably less expensive than eating out.

I have a ravenous appetite, since I'm physically active (e.g., I get around primarily by walking). Food at my place never stays around long enough to go bad.

#5 ·
Reactions: Tom
#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
I'm still trying to figure out how a food made primarily from mung beans would taste anything like real egg. I like mung beans, but if someone asked me what they taste like, "eggy" wouldn't come to mind.

ETA: Uh-oh.... @Evolotus doesn't seem to have posted anything since this thread....

#8 ·
They use Kala Namak to give an egg taste to it. I use kala namak all the time, added to tofu for a brekky sandwich or added to tofu scramble. Stuff is amazing.

Reactions: Tom
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.