"Just Egg" vegan egg substitute - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By SapphireLightning
  • 1 Post By Evolotus

#1 Old 01-17-2020, 09:07 AM

Red face "Just Egg" vegan egg substitute

After DECADES of trying to find a suitable vegan egg substitute, and thoroughly disappointed in everything I had tried, I have stumbled on "Just Egg". When I first saw the packaging, I thought it was... just eggs, and was about to ignore it. But then I saw "Plant Based" in small letters on the bottle.

It pours out and cooks just like scrambled eggs. After cooking, it looks just like scrambled eggs. And it tastes just like scrambled eggs, especially after I put a little "black salt" on it, to give a hint of the sulfur flavor of real eggs.

And it is nutritionally similar to real eggs. Real egg: 78 calories, 6 g protein, 5 g fat, 0.6 g carbs. Just Egg: 70 calories, 5 g protein, 5 g fat, 1 g carbs. Of course, no cholesterol in Just Egg.

Its main ingredient is mung beans.

The bad part is, it's a little on the expensive side. $8 for 8 servings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2020, 05:43 PM

So I have an unopened bottle of this in the fridge that I realize is a few weeks past its sell by date. Or use by date, whatever. Think I'll be OK, or should I dump it? As noted...it's not cheap and I'd cry pouring eight bucks down the sink.

I guess if you don't hear from me in the near future, I died of Just Egg poisoning.
#3 Old 02-10-2020, 09:17 AM

I think you are joking, but I have been eating Just Egg that are well over the so-called "expiration date". No problems. I think the "use by" dates are BS anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-15-2020, 07:39 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'll have to look for this, as I do miss eggs but can't accept the bad treatment hens have to go through. $1 per serving is a lot, but probably less expensive than eating out.

I have a ravenous appetite, since I'm physically active (e.g., I get around primarily by walking). Food at my place never stays around long enough to go bad.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#5 Old 02-19-2020, 07:02 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I'll have to look for this, as I do miss eggs but can't accept the bad treatment hens have to go through. $1 per serving is a lot, but probably less expensive than eating out.

I have a ravenous appetite, since I'm physically active (e.g., I get around primarily by walking). Food at my place never stays around long enough to go bad.

You can buy Just Egg for $6.47 at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/JUST-Egg-...12oz/837888152
Tom likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#6 Old 02-19-2020, 07:03 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunestrider View Post

The bad part is, it's a little on the expensive side. $8 for 8 servings.

Walmart sells Just Egg for $6.47: https://www.walmart.com/ip/JUST-Egg-...12oz/837888152

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#7 Old 02-24-2020, 04:13 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'm still trying to figure out how a food made primarily from mung beans would taste anything like real egg. I like mung beans, but if someone asked me what they taste like, "eggy" wouldn't come to mind.

ETA: Uh-oh.... @Evolotus doesn't seem to have posted anything since this thread....

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 02-24-2020 at 04:17 PM.
#8 Old 02-25-2020, 09:02 AM
Look ma! No hooves!

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how a food made primarily from mung beans would taste anything like real egg. I like mung beans, but if someone asked me what they taste like, "eggy" wouldn't come to mind.

ETA: Uh-oh.... @Evolotus doesn't seem to have posted anything since this thread....
They use Kala Namak to give an egg taste to it. I use kala namak all the time, added to tofu for a brekky sandwich or added to tofu scramble. Stuff is amazing.
Tom likes this.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
#9 Old 02-29-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireLightning View Post
They use Kala Namak to give an egg taste to it. I use kala namak all the time, added to tofu for a brekky sandwich or added to tofu scramble. Stuff is amazing.
No, there is no "Kala Namak" (a.k.a. "black salt") in Just Eggs. Here is the ingredients: "Water, Mung Bean Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Contains less than 2% of Dehydrated Onion, Gellan Gum, Natural Carrot Extractives (color), Natural Flavors, Natural Turmeric Extractives (color), Potassium Citrate, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Sugar, Tapioca Syrup, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Transglutaminase, Nisin (preservative)."

As I mentioned in my original post, I add a pinch of black salt to give it an authentic "eggy" flavor. One time I forgot to add the black salt, and it was noticeably less eggy-tasting.
#10 Old 02-29-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Walmart sells Just Egg for $6.47: https://www.walmart.com/ip/JUST-Egg-...12oz/837888152
I was just able to find Just Egg on sale at Meijer (supermarket chain in northern Indiana and southern Michigan) for only $5 each.
#11 Old 03-12-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I'm okay! I survived! The omelets were good but my technique needs improvement.

By the way the company's website recommends adding kala namak for a more eggy taste, which I did. I assume they did not use it in the product to keep the sodium numbers down. Eggs contain sodium naturally, but it's fairly low.
Tom likes this.

Tags
eggs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page