Very New To WFPB - Weight Loss - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jamie in Chile
  • 1 Post By silva

#1 Old 05-01-2019, 02:04 PM

Unhappy Very New To WFPB - Weight Loss

Hi

As I said I am new to this WFPB diet thing and have had a few interesting encounters with unexpected events. Naturally I am becoming a bit cautious and need a bid of support to help me through this part of the journey.

In short from 6th of January I transitioned to vegetarian following a disturbing cardiology report. I made this first transition as it was logical to me anyway. Under this I was loosing about 1 kilogram a week, which was fine.

From week commencing 14th of March I started transition to WFPB however we were in Bali for a weeks holiday from 26th and this made WFPB difficult so I went vegetarian for that week. No big deal really no issue.

Since returning home, I have been playing about with new recipes as I still cant get a recipe from reading only, and being fairly rigorous in maintaining the no oils, no fats WFPB diet. I have noticed a few things that are sort of disturbing, and a little concerning.

First concern I have is the weight loss...It has accelerated to a concerning level. First week back I wrote off as we were walking about the shops and so on and my step count was well in excess of 10,000 a day that week the weight loss was 2.65 kilograms.

The following week was 0 kilogram loss, as I returned to work and the normal sedentary based life. Consequently the only exercise is 30 minutes on a spin bike whilst I watch some TV in the morning and a small 3 kilometre walk with the dog each night about 30 minutes or so. So I assumed the 0 loss was just my return to work and slow down in step count, plus my body taking a break to catch up.

The following week on the Tuesday I ended up in the emergency ward of the Hospital with accelerating heart rate, light headedness and low potassium in serum.

That week I have recorded weight loss at 1.55 kilograms.

This morning is showing a weight loss since last week of 2.0 kilograms.

I suppose I should be happy I have lost this much weight this quickly, but in reality I am feeling a few side effects. A bit listless, haven't been up to 30 minutes of spin bike and although it has turned cold I have only been walking every other day and shorter than usual. Combined with the low potassium I am wondering if this WFPB is impacting me in unexpected way. I was hoping to get into the only doctor who is WFPB in the area, however she has gone on maternity leave for 12 months. I am left with my normal GP who is at a loss to explain the potassium and other than telling me I am doing well isn't really helpful with questions.

Another minor issue for me is I am suddenly really feeling the cold.

My concerns are, am I loosing weight too rapidly and if I am how do I slow this down? Is the low potassium related in some way I haven't considered? I do note there is some correlation between potassium and B12 I did take one B12 a few days before the low pot event. Why are my energy levels down or is this simply a trail on from the low pot issue?

I understand some of this verges on medical. I am not asking for medical advice. I am asking for others experience to give me a bit of comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2019, 08:52 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamictiger View Post
Hi

My concerns are, am I loosing weight too rapidly and if I am how do I slow this down? Is the low potassium related in some way I haven't considered? I do note there is some correlation between potassium and B12 I did take one B12 a few days before the low pot event. Why are my energy levels down or is this simply a trail on from the low pot issue?

I understand some of this verges on medical. I am not asking for medical advice. I am asking for others experience to give me a bit of comparison.

Welcome to the forum!

A whole foods plant-based diet is not difficult, but there are some mistakes that can eventually cause trouble.

Although many of us are long-time vegans, I think the most reliable way to plan a new diet is to make an appointment with a Registered Dietitian. They can help you to plan a satisfying, nutritionally-complete WFPB diet, based on foods that you already enjoy. Registered Dietitians will also work with your physician to address any pre-existing or emerging health issues.

In the United States, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: http://www.eatright.org . Just click on the "Find an Expert" button, located in the upper-right-hand portion of the webpage.

In the U.K., you can find a local Registered Dietitian on the Freelance Dietitians website: http://www.freelancedietitians.org/

In New Zealand, you can find a local Registered Dietitian through the Dietitians New Zealand website: http://dietitians.org.nz/find-a-dietitian/

In Australia, you can find a local Accredited Practising Dietitian through the Dietitians Association of Australia: https://daa.asn.au/find-an-apd/

In Canada, you can find a local Registered Dietitian at the Dietitians of Canada website: http://www.dietitians.ca/Find-a-Dietitian.aspx .

In the Nederlands, you can find a local Registered Dietitian at http://www.nvdietist.nl/ .

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 05-03-2019, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the response...

Not completely disagreeing with you however I have previously dealt with dieticians. Once in a group setting for about 8 weeks and another as a paid consultation.

In my expereince dieticians broadly reiterate what is promoted by the department of health and generally repeat what is broadcast via various media channels...eat everything in moderation, 5 vege and 3 fruits etc.

My wife insisted we go and see one when I started on this journey. I reluctantly agreed and sincerely hoped seeing and paying privately we would get a better outcome. What I discovered was by asking questions like:
- If I have to drive 6 hours out to a job in the country and 6 hours back again, and I dont have a fridge in my vehicle so I need to buy something to eat what can I eat thats healthy?
- We have come here at about dinner time. After this we want to go and eat some food locally that is at least towards heatlhy but dont want to spend more than X. Where can we go?
I got blank stares and looks resembling a deer caught in headlights.

On leaving my wife turned to me and said...That was a totla waste of time and money. She didnt tell us anything we didnt already know and didnt add anything to what we are doing.

I am less than enamoured with this brach of health.

#4 Old 05-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Thanks for the response...

Not completely disagreeing with you however I have previously dealt with dieticians. Once in a group setting for about 8 weeks and another as a paid consultation.

In my expereince dieticians broadly reiterate what is promoted by the department of health and generally repeat what is broadcast via various media channels...eat everything in moderation, 5 vege and 3 fruits etc.

My wife insisted we go and see one when I started on this journey. I reluctantly agreed and sincerely hoped seeing and paying privately we would get a better outcome. What I discovered was by asking questions like:

- If I have to drive 6 hours out to a job in the country and 6 hours back again, and I dont have a fridge in my vehicle so I need to buy something to eat what can I eat thats healthy?

- We have come here at about dinner time. After this we want to go and eat some food locally that is at least towards heatlhy but dont want to spend more than X. Where can we go?

I got blank stares and looks resembling a deer caught in headlights.

On leaving my wife turned to me and said...That was a totla waste of time and money. She didnt tell us anything we didnt already know and didnt add anything to what we are doing.

I am less than enamoured with this brach of health.

I would be disappointed too, if I had that experience. My dealings with dietitians have been very different than yours. In my experience, dietitians have clever solutions to real-world nutrition issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 05-06-2019, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes weight loss can happen because of not enough calories. People transitioning to vegetarian and vegan diets are not aware sometimes that plant-based foods contain less calories per gram on average and possibly also less grams of food per unit area on the plate. Therefore, you sometimes need to eat larger meals or more snacks. However, this may or may not be a good solution for you.

I found in easier to lose weight on a veg diet, but it was more a case of not putting on weight than it coming off naturally.

When I see comments like this one, I do think you need to defer to medical professional advice rather than people on a forum.
"The following week on the Tuesday I ended up in the emergency ward of the Hospital with accelerating heart rate, light headedness and low potassium in serum".
David3 likes this.
#6 Old 05-09-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
Sometimes weight loss can happen because of not enough calories. People transitioning to vegetarian and vegan diets are not aware sometimes that plant-based foods contain less calories per gram on average and possibly also less grams of food per unit area on the plate. Therefore, you sometimes need to eat larger meals or more snacks. However, this may or may not be a good solution for you.
I strongly suspect this is more likely than not...I have always resembled a moving mountain, but gain weight looking at a small sausage roll, so never ate a large amount of food.

My local issue is there is one whole foods plant based doctor in my city and she is off work for 12 months on maternity leave. There are no dieticians or nutritionists or food coaches at all. Closest is a few vegan ones I have found.
#7 Old 05-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I strongly suspect this is more likely than not...I have always resembled a moving mountain, but gain weight looking at a small sausage roll, so never ate a large amount of food.

My local issue is there is one whole foods plant based doctor in my city and she is off work for 12 months on maternity leave. There are no dieticians or nutritionists or food coaches at all. Closest is a few vegan ones I have found.
Where are you?
I think this is the most comprehensive nutrition site, and Dr Gregers daily dozen way of eating is great for knowing you get a days nutrition. As is you'll get between 1200 and 1400 or so calories, so feel free to eat more depending on your activity and weight.-

https://nutritionfacts.org/daily-dozen-challenge/

A wfpb diet, with beans legumes veggies, should be full of potassium! I respond to any questions about where I get my protein from with "where do YOU get you potassium from? I know many omnis with low potassium!
Mr. H. likes this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#8 Old 05-14-2019, 03:53 PM

Thanks

Sorry was off a while. I am in West Australia.
#9 Old 05-14-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
A wfpb diet, with beans legumes veggies, should be full of potassium! I respond to any questions about where I get my protein from with "where do YOU get you potassium from? I know many omnis with low potassium!

That ties up with my thoughts too, again suggesting I am simply not getting enough food...which is odd as I feel very full all the time. Perhaps my proportions are out or something. Still a forum cant help with that.

I am in Western Australia, part of the large island off the coast of New Zealand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page