Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By SapphireLightning
  • 2 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By Knowtions In Motion

#1 Old 04-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Look ma! No hooves!

Vegan Picnic Ideas Thread

Hey-o, it's spring in the northern hemisphere and have been thinking about picnics, and was wondering what everyone here makes/brings for picnics. Been doing a lot of reading on Edwardian and Victorian picnics, which have a lot of animal ingredient heavy foods, like fried birds, fishes, or broiled cows. Many of those would be easy to veganize, but better to hear from others on what they like at their vegan picnics.

Cucumber sammaches are always a hit, right?
Mr. H. likes this.

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-06-2019, 09:08 PM
Impeach the gangster

If your picnic site has facilities for making a fire, you might roast some veggie-dogs.

Potato salad is always a winner.

And don't forget the watermelon.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Last edited by Capstan; 04-06-2019 at 09:12 PM.
#3 Old 04-07-2019, 08:37 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

My favorite season! ) I tend to leave home with picnic-like items in a small cooler damn near every time I venture out, in hopes of not getting stuck somewhere without a healthy/clean food choice when I'm on the go. Here's some of my favorites:

Hummus with celery/carrot/red bell pepper/radish/cucumber/jicama/kholrabi slices. I also like using sunflower seed or almond butter as a dip.

Tacos made with walnut "meat", cashew or sunflower seed "cheese", your favorite salsa, and other taco ingredients, served on romaine lettuce leaf "boats".

Taco salad made with the above ingredients chopped and tossed in a bowl on top of crunched up tortilla chips.

Any salad and your favorite dressing and toppings.

Collard wraps with hummus, sprouts, cucumber, bell pepper, spinach, red onion, and whatever else you think might taste good in them. or use romaine lettuce boats instead of wrapping, if you wish.

Apple slices, drizzled with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown, and sunflower seed butter with some carob chips (or cacao nibs) melted into it for a dip. Also good as a pretzel dip.

Chickpea chicken-less salad, using chickpeas in the place of chicken, served in a collard wrap, on a romaine boat, or however you choose. Also good as a dip.

See-food salad made with chickpeas in place of the tuna/crab meat/etc., using nori wraps chopped into the salad for the fishy-like flavor, served on a wrap, on a romaine boat, or however you wish. Also good as a dip.

Eggless vegg salad, made with chickpeas in place of the eggs, using Kala Namak black salt for the egg-like flavor (use sparingly as a little goes a long way), served as mentioned in the above two suggestions.

Bean salad using black beans, cannelini beans, kidney beans, and any other bean you may wish to add, sweet corn, red onion, red bell peppers, jalapenos (if you like a little spice), and lime juice and white balsamic vinegar as the dressing.

Gluten-free pasta salads made like the typical macaroni salads/pea salads/etc., using vegan mayo, etc.

If grilling, I like to marinate portobella mushroom caps in a little olive oil and fresh rosemary, or my favorite bbq sauce, and add some potatoes and some corn on the cob to cook next to them. The tofurkey brand Italian sausages are a good option, too. Especially when served on the romaine lettuce boats with cooked bell pepper/onion and some spicy brown mustard.

May you discover lots of tasty options and have fun with it.
Mr. H. likes this.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato

#4 Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Last time I was on a picnic was months ago. but let's see....

Three bean salad. I got it at a deli.
And hummus. sometimes I make my own but I think I got this at the same deli i got the three bean salad. Chips.
white wine.
I made my own veggie sandwich. Sourdough, garlic aioli, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, mushrooms, olives, cucumber, etc.
fruit salad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in