Veganism and acne treatment - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-22-2018, 05:17 AM

Veganism and acne treatment

Okay, so I've had pimples for ages now. Got 'em in my early teens and still get them as I move on into adulthood. I've tried pretty much every vegan cleanser under the sun, even tried herbal medicines and acupuncture. I'm getting pretty desperate now since they show no sign of going away. I'm thinking of going to see a dermatologist, but they're probably gonna recommend me non-vegan treatment.

I know veganism isn't about perfection, but I wonder if this issue is serious enough to break. Even writing that down makes me feel anxious. Veganism is important to me, but catching my reflection of all the welts, scabs and bumps just fills me with disgust. Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, what did you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2018, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't say I have any personal experience with it, but YouTuber Brian Turner used to have the same problem and was able to clear his skin by increasing his intake of veggies and water. If that doesn't work for you, and it's really affecting your confidence, I don't see any issue with having non-vegan treatment. I actually don't even see something like that as breaking veganism.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 09-26-2018, 05:50 AM

Maybe you should use some essential oils instead of using vegan cleansers. My boyfriend has acne and he regularly uses Argan Oil from Virginic and he says it helps him a lot. It keeps his skin in a good condition and helps preventing the growth of acne. But it depends on your acne and skin type, but if you’re not feeling ok with going to dermatologist, try Argan Oil first. I hope it will help you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-01-2018, 02:02 AM

I would recommend you to eat more green veggies as it contains more iron and do wash your face regularly like thrice in a day.
#5 Old 10-02-2018, 04:28 PM

Did your acne get worse after you went vegan? In my experience breakouts are due not to a lack of one thing so often as they're due to an excess of another. When I first went vegan years ago, I went from mild, occasional acne to constant, bad acne. The main culprit turned out to be soy. Vitamin D and magnesium supplements also make me break out. Preservatives in dried fruit are yet another cause for me. So are perfumed laundry detergents. Some people have breakouts when they eat high fat diets. There are tons of things we do every day, without thinking about them, that can wreak havoc with our skin. So, if you haven't already done so, I'd recommend investigating your diet and environment for acne-triggering foods or additives.
#6 Old 10-08-2018, 09:15 PM

I don't usually have problems with acne but if I do, I apply 500ppm colloidal silver or maybe organic black seed oil before bed.

I never use soap on my face... well extremely rarely. I don't use any kind of cleanser... just warm water rinse.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you might want to read up on intestinal parasites and how to do a cleanse.

Or maybe, look into the possibility of candida overgrowth.

I assume that you keep well hydrated and have regular bm's.
#7 Old 12-19-2018, 06:09 PM

Red face A plant base diet always helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militia Ink View Post
Okay, so I've had pimples for ages now. Got 'em in my early teens and still get them as I move on into adulthood. I've tried pretty much every vegan cleanser under the sun, even tried herbal medicines and acupuncture. I'm getting pretty desperate now since they show no sign of going away. I'm thinking of going to see a dermatologist, but they're probably gonna recommend me non-vegan treatment.

I know veganism isn't about perfection, but I wonder if this issue is serious enough to break. Even writing that down makes me feel anxious. Veganism is important to me, but catching my reflection of all the welts, scabs and bumps just fills me with disgust. Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, what did you do?
I definitely saw big changes in my skin when I switched to a plant based diet. All of the green vegetables, the vitamins from the fruits and all the plants us vegans eat definitely help a lot with achieving healthy and glowing skin.
I wrote a blogpost about my experience if you want to check it out: ethicalandchic.com/going-vegan-will-give-you-better-skin/[/url]
#8 Old 12-23-2018, 08:49 AM

Have you been to your doctor for a blood test? It would be good to know if you are deficient in any vitamins i.e. iron, b12, vitamin d, thyroid etc.
Me personally, I had sever acne during uni but cleared up after medication. I have been a veggie for 33 years and vegan for 1 year and haven't noticed a change in acne since transitioning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page