What Vegan Energy suppliers are there? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By inhalecalm

#1 Old 09-07-2018, 06:18 AM

What Vegan Energy suppliers are there?

What Vegan Gas and Electricity suppliers are there? Personally I am most interested in knowing about one's providing the UK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2018, 11:58 AM

Bump. Also I know there is Ecotricity but they are expensive, and I'm not sure how vegan their gas will be when they start generating it by decomposing grass as I believe some of the grass they will use might come from land used for grazing animals on when the land is in need of management, and from land where grass is being grown for purposes of crop rotation where food crops for animals are grown when grass isn't being grown there.
#3 Old 10-29-2018, 09:17 AM

Also, why do other vegans and vegetarians not seem to be as concerned about animal derived substances being used to genereate their Gas and Electricity as I am?

#4 Old 10-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by unjustifiable existence View Post
Also, why do other vegans and vegetarians not seem to be as concerned about animal derived substances being used to genereate their Gas and Electricity as I am?
All human activities generate a certain amount of negative impact. Your grass-burning biomass example isn't all that relevant; in the United States, the principal fuels used for electricity generation are natural gas, coal, and nuclear. Renewable sources produce 17% of our electricity, but biomass only constitutes 1.6% (and grass-burning doesn't even make the list). https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3 . Quit making drama.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#5 Old 11-01-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unjustifiable existence View Post
All human activities generate a certain amount of negative impact. Your grass-burning biomass example isn't all that relevant; in the United States, the principal fuels used for electricity generation are natural gas, coal, and nuclear. Renewable sources produce 17% of our electricity, but biomass only constitutes 1.6% (and grass-burning doesn't even make the list). https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3 . Quit making drama.
https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/cdn-ima...taminated.jpeg
#6 Old 11-01-2018, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I currently live outside the UK but have a property in the UK which is supplied by Good Energy for electricity and Southern for gas.

Climate change is a big deal and is causing tremendous disruption to animals including habitat destruction and habitats moving and a lot of death and suffering to animals. By using renewable energy 100%, you won't be involved with this and this is probably the most important thing.

Whether the energy is 100% vegan is probably a secondary issue with lower overall impact. The reason people are not that interested in it is that there are probably the associated animal cruelty is relatively small.
#7 Old 11-10-2018, 10:34 AM

I didn't even know this was a thing!
#8 Old 11-20-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
I currently live outside the UK but have a property in the UK which is supplied by Good Energy for electricity and Southern for gas.

Climate change is a big deal and is causing tremendous disruption to animals including habitat destruction and habitats moving and a lot of death and suffering to animals. By using renewable energy 100%, you won't be involved with this and this is probably the most important thing.

Whether the energy is 100% vegan is probably a secondary issue with lower overall impact. The reason people are not that interested in it is that there are probably the associated animal cruelty is relatively small.
I don't know. I'm not convinced supporting industries that slaughter and abuse animals causes less animal death and suffering than the average vegan energy tariff does, but fortunately there are tariffs for electricity at least that would both be considered vegan and not conducive to climate change either.
#9 Old 01-07-2019, 03:29 PM

Biofuel energy is no different from fossil fuel energy. When it is used as a fuel the resulting CO2 is put back in the atmosphere. Only permanent safe burial can effectively take CO2 from the atmosphere long-term. That’s what took Nature millions of years to do. Humans cannot hope to duplicate that in meaningful amounts by moving “biomass” around as a fuel.
#10 Old 01-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateboussad View Post
Biofuel energy is no different from fossil fuel energy. When it is used as a fuel the resulting CO2 is put back in the atmosphere. Only permanent safe burial can effectively take CO2 from the atmosphere long-term. That’s what took Nature millions of years to do. Humans cannot hope to duplicate that in meaningful amounts by moving “biomass” around as a fuel.

Biomass combustion does produce CO2, but remember that the growing of biomass crops removes CO2 from the atmosphere (via photosynthesis). When biomass is burned as fuel, it simply releases the CO2 that it absorbed during its growth. In this respect, biofuel is carbon neutral. The processing of biofuels, however, is not necessarily carbon neutral - ethanol distillation, example, can be done with either biofuels or fossil fuels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
#11 Old 01-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateboussad View Post

Fossil fuels definitely need to be left in the ground. Last year, California passed a law to eliminate the generation of electricity from fossil fuels by the year 2035. It sounds like a long time, but it represents a huge technology transformation. Presently, California gets 30% of its electricity from renewables. Also, in 2018, 11% of new passenger vehicle sales were hybrid or electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________

#12 Old 06-01-2019, 11:42 PM

The green electricity is produced by using power from the wind, the sun and the sea. Some companies are trying to make the vegan gas form grass too.
Here I would like to mention that, it is not required to be vegan to use the vegan gas. The use of vegan gas is very beneficial for the nature.
Additionally you can make sure your energy bills don't support industrial facility cultivating or the unethical treatment of animals. Rather, you'll get green, ethical energy.
katebrownell likes this.
#13 Old 06-03-2019, 06:13 AM

I was reading a blog about The Vegan Society to become the world’s first officially vegan energy supplier. They have teamed up with vegan partners.
#14 Old 06-03-2019, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Electricity

For electricity in the UK, Ecotricity is a vegan option.

https://littlegreenseedling.com/2019...gy-ecotricity/

For electricity only, it's possible that most suppliers are vegan, or close enough. The vegan issue is more with....

Gas
Ecotricity is worth a look for vegan gas: https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/our-gre...-energy-supply

There is no gas supplier in the UK offering 100% green vegan gas. There is one that does 100% green gas - I saw it mentioned in an email newsletter from Money Saving Expert this year. However, it gets gas from an animal agriculture facility, so not vegan. I can't remember the name of it. (Some claim green gas but what they actually do is usually buy about 10-15% green gas, then buy 85-90% regular gas and offset it. There is not enough supply of green gas to meet demand.)

Since 100% vegan and 100% green gas can't be had, the only way to get green AND vegan heating and hot water is by avoiding gas entirely. I can think of at least 4 ways to get off gas although if you're renting and not wanting to move, these ideas mostly won't work.

1 - Solar hot water heater. But it will take years and years if ever to pay back the investment. And this only works for hot water, not space heating.

2 - Live in a house built to Passiv Haus principles - a large window facing the sun, triple glazed windows, thick walls, clever design on walls to retain heat etc. These houses are rare in the UK however. They don't need any heating at all or very little.

3 - Upgrade your house by investing a lot of money in triple glazed windows, insulation etc. After some years (5 or 10??) you'll probably make the money back. With this, you can perhaps get the heating demand low enough to use electric heaters without it being very expensive. Or see option 4.

4 - Use wood burning (this is better for climate change, but does produce nasty PM2.5 particulate pollution and for that reason I think the government may be putting some regulations against it).

Last edited by Jamie in Chile; 06-03-2019 at 06:26 PM.
#15 Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post

Since 100% vegan and 100% green gas can't be had, the only way to get green AND vegan heating and hot water is by avoiding gas entirely. I can think of at least 4 ways to get off gas although if you're renting and not wanting to move, these ideas mostly won't work.

1 - Solar hot water heater. But it will take years and years if ever to pay back the investment. And this only works for hot water, not space heating.

2 - Live in a house built to Passiv Haus principles - a large window facing the sun, triple glazed windows, thick walls, clever design on walls to retain heat etc. These houses are rare in the UK however. They don't need any heating at all or very little.

3 - Upgrade your house by investing a lot of money in triple glazed windows, insulation etc. After some years (5 or 10??) you'll probably make the money back. With this, you can perhaps get the heating demand low enough to use electric heaters without it being very expensive. Or see option 4.

4 - Use wood burning (this is better for climate change, but does produce nasty PM2.5 particulate pollution and for that reason I think the government may be putting some regulations against it).

The UK government's Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive can help you pay for a solar water heater, ground-source heat pump, biomass boiler, or other renewable heating system for your home: https://renewable-heat-calculator.se...k/Default.aspx

According to this UK-published article, a solar water heating system's payback period can range from 6 to 28 years, and a solar electric system's payback period ranges from 8 to 10 years: https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/is-sol...rmal-worth-it/

In the UK, adding insulation to an un-insulated attic or loft can pay for itself quickly - only about 2 years: https://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk.../roof-and-loft

More information about emissions from processed-wood-pellet heaters: http://biomassmagazine.com/articles/...iomass-boilers and https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...in-urban-areas

_________

Last edited by David3; 06-06-2019 at 08:53 PM.
#16 Old 06-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for this. I am interested in these things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in