Is it my job to convince other people to go vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By Mr. H.
  • 1 Post By leedsveg
  • 1 Post By APhilosophicalGent

#1 Old 07-17-2018, 09:46 AM

Is it my job to convince other people to go vegan?

Am I morally obligated to convince other people to go vegan? Is it bad of me if I know a non-vegan who is not aware of the reasons to be vegan that I am aware of, and I don't communicate those reasons to them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Impeach the gangster

No, I don't think you're morally obligated to be a teacher. People learn best, when they learn for themselves. I don't express my veganism to others, unless it becomes necessary; for example, if they offer me non-vegan food, I'll politely turn it down, explaining I'm vegan. If they voluntarily express curiosity about being vegan, I'll share my ideas with them, but I don't press it on them. I hate it when people knock on my door, trying to sell me a product or philosophy, so I don't do it to others. If they want to know, let them ask. The best way to teach is through example, not from a pulpit.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 07-18-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
No, I don't think you're morally obligated to be a teacher. People learn best, when they learn for themselves. I don't express my veganism to others, unless it becomes necessary; for example, if they offer me non-vegan food, I'll politely turn it down, explaining I'm vegan. If they voluntarily express curiosity about being vegan, I'll share my ideas with them, but I don't press it on them. I hate it when people knock on my door, trying to sell me a product or philosophy, so I don't do it to others. If they want to know, let them ask. The best way to teach is through example, not from a pulpit.
Hello
to be honest I have nothing against vegans. I’ve watched many documentaries and read several books about the benefits of vegan diets and how they can help with various diseases and lead to weight loss in people who have trouble losing weight, which led me to stick to a mainly vegetarian diet for most of my high school and college life. I admire a lot of vegans because I know how much work it takes to stay on a vegan diet, so kudos to the people who find the time and money to dedicate their lives to the vegan movement and everything associated with it. However, in my life I've met some pretty intense vegans (not all of them, many of them are super nice) who have spoken about the benefits, health-related and environmental, associated with the vegan diet, often informing others that a vegan diet is the key to a healthy lifestyle. For the people who do end up going vegan, that’s great, it’s very healthy!! But for the people who think veganism should be implemented all around the world, that is simply impossible. The main issue with veganism is that it isn’t the best diet option for everyone, but there are many other issues such as economic stability, area of living, and the way you are raised that make it almost impossible for some people to be vegan. Granted, if you have the opportunity to be vegan and you’re all for the veganism movement, that’s awesome! Good for you! (not sarcastic in any way, I promise) But in today’s world, it’s simply childish to assume that everyone should go vegan, because it may be healthier and animal cruelty free, but it just doesn’t work for everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijinendra View Post
Hello to be honest I have nothing against vegans . . . But for the people who think veganism should be implemented all around the world, that is simply impossible. The main issue with veganism is that it isn’t the best diet option for everyone, but there are many other issues such as economic stability, area of living, and the way you are raised that make it almost impossible for some people to be vegan. Granted, if you have the opportunity to be vegan and you’re all for the veganism movement, that’s awesome! Good for you! (not sarcastic in any way, I promise) But in today’s world, it’s simply childish to assume that everyone should go vegan, because it may be healthier and animal cruelty free, but it just doesn’t work for everyone.

It's great that you have nothing against vegans, considering that this is a vegetarian and vegan forum.

Mainstream health organizations around the world have stated that properly-planned vegan diets are healthy. In previous posts, I've provided links to those statements. If you believe this is incorrect, please provide your own links.

There's a wonderful book that you may find interesting: Hungry Planet - What the World Eats https://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Planet.../dp/0984074422 .It's a picture book that features families from all over the world, posing with their typical groceries. I think it is enlightening:

https://djapo.be/lesmateriaal-honger/5__gezin_uit_mali/

http://econperspectives.blogspot.com...orld-eats.html

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 07-18-2018 at 01:42 PM.
#5 Old 07-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Hello
The main issue with veganism is that it isn’t the best diet option for everyone, but there are many other issues such as economic stability, area of living, and the way you are raised that make it almost impossible for some people to be vegan. Granted, if you have the opportunity to be vegan and you’re all for the veganism movement, that’s awesome! Good for you! (not sarcastic in any way, I promise) But in today’s world, it’s simply childish to assume that everyone should go vegan, because it may be healthier and animal cruelty free, but it just doesn’t work for everyone.
To answer the original post: I don't think it's your job to convince people, however if asked "why you're vegan", it might be good to take that as an opportunity to open up conversation about it . Although I do admire people who do activism (politely, not go in to restaurants and call people murderers).

To answer quoted post: I agree not everyone can be vegan, but I'd say it's a very small minority of people.
1. People who live in very cold climates and food is very expensive because most food has to be imported (ex: Nunavut, Canada).
2. People who have a lot of allergies (soy, wheat, nuts, and legumes) it would be very difficult for them to stay healthy on a vegan diet.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#6 Old 07-22-2018, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

No simple answer. In fact, it is probably best that you look inward and find your own answer.

However, some of the most prolific vegan authors do think that ALL vegans have a responsibility to do what they can in promoting veganism.
Peter Singer has written a lot of books and articles on this subject and is considered to be the authority on this subject. If you are interested in getting an opinion from someone who has been thinking about animal rights for at least 40 years, I would start off with checking out some of his articles and videos. He even has a TED talk

My favorite article on the subject is this one:
http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/...9/argument.pdf

IMHO, you are NOT morally obligated. On the other hand, I think any half decent vegan does not pass up opportunities to befriend and teach.
#7 Old 07-23-2018, 04:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
The main issue with veganism is that it isn’t the best diet option for everyone..
Veganism is more than a diet, so it shouldn't stop people who have a health problem with the dietary part, from applying the other aspects eg cosmetics, clothing, animal rights etc to their lives.

Lv
#8 Old 07-23-2018, 04:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H. View Post
However, some of the most prolific vegan authors do think that ALL vegans have a responsibility to do what they can in promoting veganism.
Peter Singer has written a lot of books and articles on this subject and is considered to be the authority on this subject. If you are interested in getting an opinion from someone who has been thinking about animal rights for at least 40 years, I would start off with checking out some of his articles and videos. He even has a TED talk
Peter Singer is a veggie rather than a vegan surely?

Lv
#9 Old 07-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Peter Singer is a veggie rather than a vegan surely?

Lv
This has been brought up in several interviews. I think some vegans have even gone so far as to criticise him for not being vegan.

This might be the very best example of the "effective advocacy vs. personal purity" argument. There are many vegetarians who through their books, speeches, interviews, have spread the word and probably caused more good than any number of vegans. Admitted omnivores like Michael Pollan, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Peter Singer have exposed thousands (or millions) of people to the ideas of eating plants instead of meat.

Of course, both is better. but if its one or the other, I'll take advocacy over purity.
AspiringBuddha likes this.
#10 Old 07-23-2018, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H. View Post
This has been brought up in several interviews. I think some vegans have even gone so far as to criticise him for not being vegan.

This might be the very best example of the "effective advocacy vs. personal purity" argument. There are many vegetarians who through their books, speeches, interviews, have spread the word and probably caused more good than any number of vegans. Admitted omnivores like Michael Pollan, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Peter Singer have exposed thousands (or millions) of people to the ideas of eating plants instead of meat.

Of course, both is better. but if its one or the other, I'll take advocacy over purity.
Crikey! I thought Singer was a veggie rather than a vegan but you're now confirming that he's not a veggie. Not that I've criticised him, you'll notice.

Like many others, I too read Singer's Animal Liberation (nearly 30 years ago before going veggie). Yes, he's a very fluent writer but it's a shame that he himself has not been more morally influenced by the strength of his advocacy for animals.

Pollan and DiCaprio have some sympathy for the plight of animals but as with nearly all these celebs, such sympathy inevitably seems to wane/disappear, sometimes fairly quickly. Of course the sympathy adopted by their followers will often be as transitory.

Maybe as Capstan says in a previous post:
Quote:
The best way to teach is through example, not from a pulpit.
"Through example" would also seem a good way to retain vegans once they have climbed on board.

Lv
Mr. H. likes this.

Last edited by leedsveg; 07-23-2018 at 03:09 PM.
#11 Old 07-25-2018, 04:16 AM

Well it can even be physically dangerous to go too pro vegan in the wrong setting - especially around recreational hunters and cattle farmers and the like, so you should pick your battles.

But when the topic comes up in a safe setting I cant pretend all dietary choices are equal. Veganism is without question morally superior. "You do you, boo", "whatever floats ya boat," etc though is often a prudent way to deal with say a non-vegan boss or your non-vegan in-laws. Hopefully one's living example also speaks for itself. Funniest thing is when some diabetic walking heart-attack-about-to-happen, with a physical "age" well above his chronological age, starts blathering pompously to moi about how "we evolved ta eat MEAT!".
Mr. H. likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page